Running apps/communities (Read 240 times)

Insomniac1984

Hey everyone. I'm doing my phd on running apps and communities such as RunKeeper of MapMyRun. I was wondering who of you is using them and to what extend they add something to your running (e.g. sharing runs with others, social contact with other runners...). I was hoping to get a view on why these are being used and what the user experience is. Hope to get some insights from you, runners. You can always send me a message if you have any questions! I'm hoping for a lively discussion, so fire away

Cheers!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I used RunKeeper when I first started (the Web, not the phone app).  I used it for the logging and social-sharing-reinforcement-competition with a friend who got me into running.  The interface was simple.  Before I had a GPS watch I'd use it to figure out routes and how far I ran.  Always interesting to see the elevation grades around town.  I stopped using it for three reasons:

- the GPS mileage uses a different algo than the Garmin watch -- so they were annoyingly out of sync.

- RunningAHEAD provided me a lot more logging options to keep track of my training and graph my progress

- The RunningAHEAD community integrates a sagely [I see you laughing from the swamp] advice and training logs by integrating a forum, rather than the "good job" one-liners of a twitter-feed.

RunningAHEAD is just a more serious tool for training.

I used DailyMile for similar reasons as RunKeeper, and quit for similar reasons.

I've also used Fitocracy in the past with a few friends to egg them on to better fitness.  The burden of bookkeeping eventually overwhelmed the fun of competing for arbitrary points.  Also the skin-deep encouragement and cheerleading eventually got under my nerves.

Good luck on the PhD.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

- RunningAHEAD provided me a lot more logging options to keep track of my training and graph my progress

- The RunningAHEAD community integrates a sagely [I see you laughing from the swamp] advice and training logs by integrating a forum, rather than the "good job" one-liners of a twitter-feed.

RunningAHEAD is just a more serious tool for training.

Good luck on the PhD.

Yes, all of this.

steph  

Best Present Ever

So you're doing  your PhD on what exactly?  What is your research question?  is your sampling strategy asking strangers stuff on the internets? Advisors and IRBs and whatnot approved this?   I'm a bit confused.

Insomniac1984

Hey,

This is just a little recon I'm doing. I don't think there's a problem with asking a question on the internet to get some more feeling with the matter, that's what forums are for right?

Thanks for your interest!

BeeRunB

Hey everyone. I'm doing my phd on running apps and communities such as RunKeeper of MapMyRun. I was wondering who of you is using them and to what extend they add something to your running (e.g. sharing runs with others, social contact with other runners...). I was hoping to get a view on why these are being used and what the user experience is. Hope to get some insights from you, runners. You can always send me a message if you have any questions! I'm hoping for a lively discussion, so fire away

Cheers!

I use Running Ahead for community--connecting with other runners as a whole, and sharing a specific interest in certain kinds of training or racing (user groups). I don't use mapping software on-line for my Garmin. I just use the software that I downloaded. I run the same trails, and use a TM, so don't really need mapping anyway. I keep a running log on my PC and my own website. There was a time when I used an  on-line running log on another message board, but that particular website crashed one day in between back-ups and I lost a bunch of data that couldn't be retrieved. So, I just create my own, and it takes that probability out of play. I find that RunningAhead is friendly, informative, always modern, and very readable. There is a measure of self-restraint here that keeps it from becoming a troll jungle. It's civilized.

I think the question about your PHD is valid. I have the same question about it. Could you tell us more about your PHD in "running apps and communities?" It sounds interesting.  I'm sure it goes much deeper than that one sentence you wrote. What kind of doctorate encompasses such a topic?

Thanks. Cool

Insomniac1984

Hey,

Thanks for the comments. Here's some more info. My phd concerns the influence of online social support on adherence to physical activity. Therefore, my goal is to do research with mobile fitness apps users in order to estimate the importance they attach to comments, likes, favouriting, retweeting,... of physical activity related statuses on online social media such as Twitter and Facebook, but also in a broader sense I want to measure the importance that is attributed to online training partners in groups on online fitness communities/networks.

Hope this gives some more background.

Greetings!

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I don't find online interaction to be very beneficial to me in my workouts.  I use the nike app from time to time, and I have a few "friends" on there.  The only person's results that I actually care about are my husband's.  And we have vastly different running styles (he is fast and does short runs, I am slow and do long runs) so it is kind off pointless to even compare.

It might be a generational divide situation.  I'm nearly 40, I didn't grow up sharing every little thing  that happened to me.  And running was always a solitary sport, not a group activity.  Maybe the running apps that are also communities have an appeal to the generation that is coming up now, the ones who have been raised on Twitter and Facebook.

Leah, mother of dogs

Hoban-Jay

Cheers!

I don't use either.  I use RunningAhead.  I'm sure you will find that most of the people here use RA.

TechRunnerJS

I actually now use a new running app called Fitnotix. I use this app because it actually allows me to plan a course on my iPhone. Why do I like this? The first reason is, this app will give me turn by turn directions during my run. The second reason is the pace updates. This feature is really cool. If you plan a course, every time you run that same course, it tracks your average pace. It then tells me whether I am on, behind or ahead of pace through my headphones.. pretty neat. It also tracks my distance, calories, etc and gives mile market updates as well.

Let me add, as far as community, you can share those planned routes with friends via Social Media so they can run the same route. Also, you can share completed runs.

Definitely check this one out.. I hope this helps you.

Not dead. Yet.

I actually now use a new running app called Fitnotix. I use this app because it actually allows me to plan a course on my iPhone. Why do I like this? The first reason is, this app will give me turn by turn directions during my run. The second reason is the pace updates. This feature is really cool. If you plan a course, every time you run that same course, it tracks your average pace. It then tells me whether I am on, behind or ahead of pace through my headphones.. pretty neat. It also tracks my distance, calories, etc and gives mile market updates as well.

Definitely check this one out.. I hope this helps you.

S.P.A.M.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

TechRunnerJS

eric :)

The thread was asking which ones we use and why? So my post is SPAM how?

Because you work for the app.

TechRunnerJS

eric :)

simply not true, why can't you guys just allow people to converse online without bullying?

It's not bullying if it's true. I am the site admin and I looked up your account info.