Workouts not posting to Facebook (Read 1904 times)

this Dirk could give a *&^% about anything posting to Facebook.

??

Luv4retrievers

I have been un linking and linking back up and nothing. " I do not have a clear permissions at all."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kbright

Now I'm experiencing the problem with the PUBLISH button disappearing. Wht can be done to correct this?

eric :)

This is a Facebook bug.  There's nothing I can do on my end.  It has happened before and it will happen again.  We just have to wait for them to fix it.

jgordon

Runner

have you alerted facebook. same problem for me...

all the free advertising to my fb network goes kaput if it doesn't publish to my wall...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joshua 'Flash' Gordon                                                   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MikMalDaddy

Hope this get's fixed soon.  While I'm quite happy with the RunningAHEAD site, Facebook is the place where I communicate/share with all of my running friends (many who use sites other than RunningAHEAD).  While I often WISH the world around me could rid itself of Facebook, it's simply the place where everyone I know connects.  The other Facebook "Apps" (Twitter, Goodreads, etc.) that I use seem to have no problem posting to my wall (only RunningAHEAD).

If there is ANYTHING RunningAHEAD users can do to help troubleshoot (or expedite a fix) this, please let us know. 

I did some research last night.  The main problem is the grant permissions button in the preferences page is hidden.  The FB app was created a couple of years ago, using FBML for the developers amongst us.  Since then, FB has created a whole new set of commands to use with applications.  They announced back in March they declared FBML as obsolete.

I interpret obsolete in this case as FB is switching to the new commands but will continue to allow old applications to use FBML.  In my brief Googling, I found no mention of the phase out timeline.  The rumor is that FB will gradually remove commands from FBML and thus force developers to migrate their apps to the new commands.

The grant permissions button uses the FBML command "fbTonguerompt-permission".  When I went to FB's documentation page (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/fbml/prompt-permission/), it provided no hint of when it will no longer be supported.  Yet if I use the test console on the page to try out the command, it results in an "Unknown method" error, indicating FB has pulled the plug on it.

It looks like I have to rewrite at least part if not all of the code.

Patzer

I hooked a whole bunch of fellow runners on RA by virtue of my FB auto-posts.  It's a great feature.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

heather85

Now I'm experiencing the problem with the PUBLISH button disappearing. Wht can be done to correct this?

I've been having that since I joined. Last time I pressed refresh and it shows up for just a second and I was able to press it and it worked, this time it stopped posting and I cleared permissions and while it pops up for a second I can't seem to press it fast enough so now I have no way to autopost workouts

I was wondering if it has anything to do with using the training plan feature here.  I wasn't having issues with my workouts posting to FB until I started using the training plan.  Undecided     It doesn't really make sense, but it was a thought. 

Michelle

This is a problem concocted entirely by FB.  They are stopping support for this particular method of creating apps, which was their preferred way a couple of years ago.  They announced they're phasing it out but gave no timeline.  It appears they're slowly unplugging the various components and the publish button appears to be the first to go.

I am rewriting the app using the now preferred method, which will take about a week or so to complete mostly because the new preferred method has lots of intrinsic programmatic challenges.  I am not happy about putting everything else on hold to fix this problem.

That stinks that you have to put so much time into something that already worked.  It's always an adventure with FB!  Big grin

Michelle

ymmv

I just got it to work again today, I found that I had to be really fast about hitting that 'publish' button. If you can hit it, then you get the rest of the options (just races, all, etc). Then it works again. Think video game skilz.

Think video game skilz.

You're not kidding, and I suck at video games.  Now I just have to go for a run, and see if it worked.

MTA:  ymmv was right, clicking on the disappearing publish button before it disappears worked.  Who knows how long it will work, but tonight's run was the first to make it to my wall in a while.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.