Flu Treatment.. (Read 579 times)

Sulli42

Anyone have any good advice for treating the Flu. I've never had it before now. It sux. Dead

The Greatest of All Time

Anyone have any good advice for treating the Flu. I've never had it before now. It sux. Dead
      If it's truly influenza it's a virus so you have to let it run its course. If it's really influenza it should be in your chest. You should be coughing and likely have a decent fever. I would take Ibuprofen for the fever and a cough suppressant. Keep up with fluids. Maybe some chicken soup.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Sulli42

well let's see... Low grade fever 100 -101* for 3 days now. Cough Headache Bodyaches Joints hurt Tired, run down feeling. I just had a big bowl of Miso soup, that went down quite well. I've been holding off on the ibuprofen, unless my temp starts going above 101. So, being viral, I just have to suffer through huh? That bites. Am I still contagious? It's been 4 days. I'm concerned my 8 year old daughter will contract it.

The Greatest of All Time

Am I still contagious? It's been 4 days. I'm concerned my 8 year old daughter will contract it.
          I would say yes. Once exposed to most viruses it takes up to 7 days to become symptomatic so she may have already been exposed. But this doesn't mean she will become symptomatic. If her immune system has been exposed to the virus before she should be fine. Just to be safe, keep your hands washed and I would wear a surgical-type mask around the house. Sitting here I can't remember how stable influenza is outside the body. Rhinoviruses that cause the common cold are very stable and therefore easily transmitted by hand to mouth. Just play it safe. When I was in Japan over Christmas I noticed a good number of people walking around with those on and I thought maybe there was another SARS outbreak. I soon learned that in Japan, when people who are sick leave their homes they put one on to keep from getting others sick. I thought it was pretty cool.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Sulli42

That's really cool. Thanks for the input Marcus.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

well let's see... Low grade fever 100 -101* for 3 days now. Cough Headache Bodyaches Joints hurt Tired, run down feeling.
              Influenza typically gives these symptoms but a higher fever and a feeling like you have been hit by a train. There are loads of other "flu-like" illnesses this time of year. Most last 3-7 days, there is little to do but rest and get fluids. They are usually contagious as long as you have a fever and the incubation is typically between 2-5 days after contact. So yeah, your daughter may yet get it.
              Sulli42

Was that a train? Damn, I thought for sure it was a 747 jumbo jet.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Did it hit all at once?
                  Sulli42

My lungs felt a little tight the morning of a race on Sat. Sun. still a little tightness in the lungs, and I was sore but I assumed that was lactic acid build up from the race. Mon. night the fever hit. and I'm guessing that's when the 747 hit. Hard to say with the combined soreness from Sat. The cough appeared at this time as well.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Flu usually hits faster/harder than that. You may have parainfluenza virus or RSV. Or one of the many others out there.
                      Sulli42

K... What does that mean? Should I get my will in order? Or should I just stop buggin you, and go see a doctor? Roll eyes
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Put your feet up, stay away from your kiddo and get your rest. If it lasts more than 5-7 days or you start having trouble breathing, get chest pain or start getting high fevers again, go see your doc.
                          Sulli42

Ok I did some reading... it looks like these affect children mostly. Is that true?
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Children are the pot where it lives, but it can infect anybody. Anybody.
                              Sulli42

Got ya. With all due respect, I'm assuming you know what your talking about. Thanks Trent.