Things that are startling... (Read 1125 times)

Why?  

question relating to pickle juice...

answer: because it's supposed to stop muscle cramping.  I've experimented with it, but never really experienced muscle cramping that "needed" pickle juice to fix the problem.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-muscle-cramps/

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Imminent Catastrophe

All this talk of powdered sugar has me craving some beignets

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Double Zout licorice

(For those that know licorice, but don't know Double Zout, you don't know what I'm talking about.  For those that have had this treat, you know what I'm talking about.  For those that like this treat, you're not like the majority of people I know)

I used to have a candy jar on my desk at the office with the stuff mixed in with other traditional candy.  Funny watching when people picked out the prize unknowingly.

Ooh, I wonder if this is like the black licorice cough drop/lozenge things that my grandma always had.  They were not sweet...they were medicine-y.  I was always under the impression that this was something all old Swedish women kept in their purses to torture their grandkids.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pickle Juice

When I bike, I occasionally carry a bottle of pickle juice. 

I also carry gatorade that I pre-mix (and sometimes, it's the yellow gatorade).

I sip pickle juice slowly.

I drink gatorade...

When I have yellow gatorade, and I get the pickle juiced mixed up with the gatorade while riding, I get a startling surprise

It's magic for leg cramps.  In Death Valley I had a 10oz. bottle of the stuff in a jersey pocket...no risk of mixing it up with my regular water/sports drink bottles.

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Dusting your toast with chili powder instead of cinnamon.

We've started putting cayenne in our coffee along with cinnamon.  The first time DH did this he didnt warn me and it was definitely startling.  But then I decided I like it a lot.  I put just enough to tingle but not be hot.   It has gotten to the point I really miss it when I have coffee elsewhere

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Let's just say that the identical size, shape and color bottle of eyedrops and the bottle of nail glue no longer live in the same place.  That resulted in a visit to the ER.  However, the opthalmologist told me that the chemical compound was the same stuff they use to repair torn corneas.

Oh my.  Ouch.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Let's just say that the identical size, shape and color bottle of eyedrops and the bottle of nail glue no longer live in the same place.  That resulted in a visit to the ER.  However, the opthalmologist told me that the chemical compound was the same stuff they use to repair torn corneas.

Whoa...that could have had a seriously unhappy ending! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Ooh, I wonder if this is like the black licorice cough drop/lozenge things that my grandma always had.  They were not sweet...they were medicine-y.  I was always under the impression that this was something all old Swedish women kept in their purses to torture their grandkids.

Yes, Swedish and Dutch people are the only ones that I know that like it. 

I believe that Meijers sells them (in Michigan) within their ethnic aisle (go to Dutch section).

It's double salted black licorice.

Yummy!

I actually love them, and have carried them along while on my long runs.  It's my mile 18 treat.

Cheers,
                  Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

Things that are startling:

The 12 year old (Christopher Rayder) who ran 3:55 at the Flying Monkey Marathon on Sunday. Who is also a Marathon Maniac, with at least 8 marathons under his belt, and ran < 3:30 at Grandfather Mountain.

He took off at HHFMM with the leaders. I didn't pass him until around M12. This kid is going to be fast when he grows up.

Yeah...that was seriously impressive.  

I think he'll be pretty damn fast as soon as he masters pacing.  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yah, like Brian, I like them too. Salty!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I believe that Meijers sells them (in Michigan) within their ethnic aisle (go to Dutch section).

It's double salted black licorice.

Yummy!

I actually love them, and have carried them along while on my long runs.  It's my mile 18 treat.

Cheers,
                        Brian

You know, I really didn't mind them so much once I got older.  I should buy some, just to mess with my kid.  I'm not sure he likes black licorice, though, so it might backfire.

That reminds me, black jellybeans are the bomb!  My dad and I were the only ones who'd eat them, so at Easter we'd always get a big bag just for ourselves.

~ Sarah Kay

Eyes Wide Shut.

(And I'll admit, I read "nail glue" and was thinking, Liquid Nails?  How could you confuse that for eyedrops?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Meter reader just walked by the window...totally made me jump! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Running in the wee hours of the morning and not noticing the skunk until it was almost too late.  That's happened a lot lately.

Queen of 3rd Place

question relating to pickle juice...

answer: because it's supposed to stop muscle cramping.  I've experimented with it, but never really experienced muscle cramping that "needed" pickle juice to fix the problem.

Around mile 24 at the Flying Monkey a volunteer offered me Mt. Dew and pickles. It was a surprisingly good combination at that point of the run. 

Ex runner