Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

Village people

I have been sidetracked by football. 

Joann Y

Revisiting "Peep Show". Totally worth every wasted second. Not your typical British comedy, it's actually funny, and in the best of demented ways. Highly recommended.

Just started watching "Masters of Sex".  Quite good so far!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Joann Y

J.J. Abrams adaptation of a Stephen King novel (based on the Kennedy Assassination). Haven't read the book but I've been a long time Stephen King fan. And loved Lost. This show is fantastic so far and combines the best subtle horror elements of classic Stephen King with J.J. Abrams' stylings. I'm not really a TV person but this one has me hooked.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wish 11.22.63 was on Netflix. I don't have Hulu.

I enjoyed season 1 of Bloodline.  Broadchurch and The Fall are both excellent British shows on Netflix although I'm still waiting on S2 of Broadchurch!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

BeeRunB

J.J. Abrams adaptation of a Stephen King novel (based on the Kennedy Assassination). Haven't read the book but I've been a long time Stephen King fan. And loved Lost. This show is fantastic so far and combines the best subtle horror elements of classic Stephen King with J.J. Abrams' stylings. I'm not really a TV person but this one has me hooked.

I enjoyed that book. Have to check out the show.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

River - British detective show about a detective with functional schizophrenia. Very nice character portrait. (4/5)

Mad Men - I've probably recommended this before, but I just finished the 7th (final) season.  The characters are nuanced, even small parts.  Even up through the last episode you're trying to figure out the main character -- good guy, or bad guy.  And he's just too complex to label with either stamp.  Can't help but feel this show is about real people.  I don't mean modeled after living people.  I mean, every character has such a complex inner life -- such a bundle of internal inconsistencies -- that you can't help but marvel at the literary quality of the show.  And it's beautifully shot. (6/5) (best show ever made)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I just started watching Mad Men and I love it.  It's probably not meant to be funny but every episode makes me laugh.

Leah, mother of dogs

Joann Y

I enjoyed that book. Have to check out the show.

Not a huge commitment. It's a miniseries, only 8 episodes and 5 are already out there.

Mad Men: I started it stadjak and watched for a couple of years and then didn't keep up. I did really love it at the time. I never know whether to start over from the beginning (it's been 5 years) or try to figure out where I left off. Maybe worth starting over?

Nice picture NikoRosa :-)

BeeRunB

I just started watching Mad Men and I love it.  It's probably not meant to be funny but every episode makes me laugh.

It's a great show with a unique feel to it, and a lot of depth. It's often funny. I just finished up the last season a few weeks ago. Enjoy!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I'ts been at least 2 years since the series ended and we hadn't watched the final season until it popped on Netflix.  We had little trouble finding our emotional whereabouts.  5 years might be a bit long.  Maybe watch the last 3 episodes of what you remember and see if you feel lost.

(you're supposed to feel a little lost -- the show is purposely ambiguous sometimes)

And yes, the show is certainly played for laughs a lot.  The first few seasons are striking in all the things that were normal in the 60s that would have your suburban neighbors calling the cops on you: letting your kids play with plastic bags over their heads -- having your 8yo make the guests Old Fashions, etc.

I'll probably go back through and watch the whole thing again at some point.  It's just too good.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Thanks Joann!  Totes is a stinker 

stadjak, I think Mad Men is funny with the stuff like the dry cleaning bag but also funny in the same way It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is funny.  The way really awful people say really terrible things and it's just so unexpected that you laugh almost against your will.  My favorite part so far in season one is when Don Draper is in a brainstorming meeting with his boss and he asks "what do women want?" And his boss goes "WHO CARES?"  I about peed myself.

Leah, mother of dogs

We are watching 'Better Call Saul', and liking it!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks Joann!  Totes is a stinker 

I thought that was probably a real critter of yours! Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Longmire---Netflix

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/