Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'm also a big fan of The Americans and have enjoyed (not sure if that is the right word) watching The Handmaid's Tale. I can also recommend Bosch on Amazon. It's based on books by Michael Connelly and the series is good drama.

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

Amazon Prime Original series "Patriot". If you put a healthy portion of Fargo, a handful of Breaking Bad, a dash of Jason Bourne and any early Bob Dylan vinyl LP into a BlendTec using the "smoothie" setting, this is what you'd get. Drink up.

As I write this reply, I see that Amazon has re-newed the series for a 2nd season - yeah.

kcam

We are watching 'Better Call Saul', and liking it!

My wife is out of town for a few days which gave me the freedom to be a complete idiot ... Yesterday I watched about 12 episodes of Better Call Saul.   What a great show.  Hopefully I can finish up whatever they have on Netflix before she gets back!

dodger20

just watched "the keepers" on netflix it's a bit disturbing and sadly true very well done worth watching

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Stranger Things: Season 2 is up on Netflix.  Yes, since yesterday.  Yes, I've already seen the whole thing.  It's excellent (except one episode, which was completely unnecessary).

There are some wonderfully complex characters in the show.  Wynona Ryder plays pitch-perfect, a single mom who is ultra-vulnerable and insecure, but completely determined to protect her child.  Just like in the first season, she continues to be an active participant in the solution, rather than just the emotional italics to tell how much trouble the characters are in.   Steve (the jerk boyfriend of the pretty-girl) has a wonderful character arc.  There are certain points where he doesn't move beyond his alpha-male status, but actually fulfills the obligations of that status -- which is completely redeeming for the character.  What I mean, is there are times when the whole group is in danger, and he's the one who steps up to be in jeopardy the most, to help save the group.

There's also a moment where the two older males have a short discussion about one of them putting himself at risk to save the kids and mom: "Don't wait for me."  It's another case where a character fulfills their biological/societal role.  Only a biologically disposable member of society could do this scene this way: post menopausal woman, or man.

Anyway, I really enjoy the hell out of this.

*EDIT: Lapsus - character arc, not arch.  Though, I'm sure Steve is worried about his over-pronation.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Stranger Things: Season 2 is up on Netflix.  Yes, since yesterday.  Yes, I've already seen the whole thing.  It's excellent (except one episode, which was completely unnecessary).

There are some wonderfully complex characters in the show.  Wynona Ryder plays pitch-perfect, a single mom who is ultra-vulnerable and insecure, but completely determined to protect her child.  Just like in the first season, she continues to be an active participant in the solution, rather than just the emotional italics to tell how much trouble the characters are in.   Steve (the jerk boyfriend of the pretty-girl) has a wonderful character arch.  There are certain points where he doesn't move beyond his alpha-male status, but actually fulfills the obligations of that status -- which is completely redeeming for the character.  What I mean, is there are times when the whole group is in danger, and he's the one who steps up to be in jeopardy the most, to help save the group.

There's also a moment where the two older males have a short discussion about one of them putting himself at risk to save the kids and mom: "Don't wait for me."  It's another case where a character fulfills their biological/societal role.  Only a biologically disposable member of society could do this scene this way: post menopausal woman, or man.

Intriguing. I heard David Bianculli's review on NPR, but yours is better. But I don't have Netflix.

In today's news: http://people.com/tv/charlie-heaton-denied-entry-in-us-alleged-cocaine-possession/

wbudde

I don’t watch many shows any more, but two newer ones that I’ve become absolutely hooked on are The Good Place and The Orville.

The Good Place is a great comedy that crosses the border into the absurd (in a good way) and also provides a thoughtful point - the most recent episode was unique take on the trolley problem.

I loved the original Star Trek (nostalgia can be powerful), and The Orville is clearly an homage to old sci-fi with some contemporary humor added. So far the episodes have all had some pretty serious issues to confront as well...I watch it with my 11-year-old and each episode has generated a pretty interesting conversation in reaction to the main plot.

obiebyke

I love the Good Place because it just feels light-hearted--such a good break from the heavy world and my usual heavy TV and reading tastes.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

There are some wonderfully complex characters in the show.  Wynona Ryder plays pitch-perfect, a single mom who is ultra-vulnerable and insecure, but completely determined to protect her child.  Just like in the first season, she continues to be an active participant in the solution, rather than just the emotional italics to tell how much trouble the characters are in.   Steve (the jerk boyfriend of the pretty-girl) has a wonderful character arc.  There are certain points where he doesn't move beyond his alpha-male status, but actually fulfills the obligations of that status -- which is completely redeeming for the character.  What I mean, is there are times when the whole group is in danger, and he's the one who steps up to be in jeopardy the most, to help save the group.

*EDIT: Lapsus - character arc, not arch.  Though, I'm sure Steve is worried about his over-pronation.

Me too. Watching episodes 5-6 tonight.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stranger Things 2...first show/movie since I was like 5 to give me friggin' nightmares!!  And we've only managed to get through the first 5 episodes, with busy weekend and need for sleep.

We watched the first episode of The Good Place in the past couple of weeks and liked it...I think I need to go watch another episode or two as a palate cleanser before trying to sleep, tonight.  But we have an episode of TWD to catch, too.  In the years since dropping cable TV we watch SO much more "TV" than ever before.  And lose so much more sleep...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I finished watching this last night.  So good.  Even episode 7.  My presumption is that it is going to set up a future plot line.

Maybe I need to go back and watch the first season again, but this one seemed to have more humor to it.  It was great.  Dustin is spectacular.

My only nitpick is with the music.  I love the original music from the first season, and I felt like a lot of that was left out for the period music.

Anyway, I was happy the second season lived up the first.  Now to wait for a long time for the next.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

BeeRunB

Just finished two seasons of the Netflix comedy, Masters Of None----what a great show. Really different, has a great feel, funny, and thematic. Check it out. 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

S1 of Westworld was pretty amazing, I thought.  I'm biased, though, because I recognized a lot of the filming locations as relatively local (SE Utah).

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

S1 of Westworld was pretty amazing, I thought.  I'm biased, though, because I recognized a lot of the filming locations as relatively local (SE Utah).

#TeamMaeve

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

#TeamMaeve

Honestly I just want Maeve and Dolores to become robot murder girlfriends and tear the place up.