Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Trailer says "on Hulu".  But thanks for this.  Lots of actors I enjoy watching.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of sinking of teeth...we've been bingeing True Blood on HBO for a couple of weeks. It's pure guilty pleasure viewing. Sometimes it is just SO BAD that it's amazing.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trailer says "on Hulu".  But thanks for this.  Lots of actors I enjoy watching.

could be, for some reason I thought Amazon, I could be wrong and often am!

wbudde

A couple of recs...

Schitt's Creek is fantastic. It just ended, but there's 6 season's worth of shows to dive into. Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are absolutely brilliant in it.

I burned through Upload on Amazon in 2 days - there were a couple parts that frustrated me with the show but in general I really liked it. It's a good story of personal growth and what makes us human. I am a huge fan of The Good Place, and there are similar themes in play in Upload.

Miracle Workers is fantastic - it's two seasons that are each individual anthologies - the only thing in common between the 2 seasons is the actors. Both stories are well told, and very thoughtful, while also being incredibly funny.

And, I cannot recommend What We Do in the Shadows highly enough. The fake documentary theme is definitely a bit stale in general, but this is a fresh take on it with a wonderful story to tell, and it's told very well.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And, I cannot recommend What We Do in the Shadows highly enough. The fake documentary theme is definitely a bit stale in general, but this is a fresh take on it with a wonderful story to tell, and it's told very well.

Did you see Mark Hamill will be on the next season?! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

wbudde

Did you see Mark Hamill will be on the next season?! Big grin

I didn't see that - now I am looking forward to next season even more. His episode was awesome!

Laviticus

spam
                  stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Mrs. America -- series about the ERA movement in the 70s.  Does a great (and I'd say not uncharitable) portrayal of Phyllis Schlafly (Anti-ERA mastermind).   Hulu.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Lenox Hill is an excellent, one-season documentary about a hospital in New York City.  So good!  They filmed an extra episode for a month when COVID-19 was raging.  It was moving to see the nurses and doctors in tears - these were people who had been very stoic during the regular series.

Dark on Netflix.

It's German, but has available English overdub.

It's like Hot Tub Time Machine; if written and performed by Germans.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

DEVS - on Amazon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8klax373ds

If you love probabilistic meta-physics and inconsolable loss, this is 100% for you.  I am such the target audience.  Thank you so much for the recommendation.  It's rather meh early on, but episode 6 is both the most boring and the most beautiful.  After that it's just gold.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

DAVE - on Hulu.

I know you usually expect some high-brow suggestions from me, but give me a second:

"DAVE" is Lil'Dickey's TV series. Not quite "Woody Allen meets 12yo dick-jokes" but not far, either.   But mixed in with its light fare is a thread of real emotional honesty that hits with the surprise and force of a Bruce Lee 1" punch.  I think it's episode 6, where the show dips into the past to show what is at stake.  This, and the last episode which ends with a high-stakes, set-for-failure, episode with Charlemagne (who is some known podcaster, I guess), really delivers.

At its root, this is a: categorically uncool guy tries to make it in a field dominated by king-of-the-hill level coolisms.  Fish, out of water, races Ursain Bolt.

If you're not familiar with Lil'Dickey: this is a good intro [NSFW] (link skips first 52 seconds, but if language is your thing just move on)

cowolter

Family Tree! HBO comedy by Christopher Guest starring Chris O'Dowd. I believe there are only 8 episodes, but it's easy to find and so worth your time. Hilarious, sweet, and great performances. Check it out!

https://printsbery.com/planner-templates

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Has anybody mentioned Party Tricks, a short Australian political series available on Prime?  Asher Keddie is great.