Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

It's not a television show per se but, I just discovered H2, the sister channel to the History Channel. It's what the History Channel was before they started airing Pawn Stars & American Pickers non-stop. Both are those are fine shows but they don't need to be repeated endlessly. I've also been watching the Military History Channel. They run a lot of programs about WWII, kind of reminds me of  the syndicated show World at War from when I was a kid.

If you like Scifi Babylon 5 would be a good series to check out. Its story had a beginning, middle and an end.It ran five seasons & was pretty good. It ran in the early 90's I wonder how well the special effects hold up. It was the first show to use CGI exclusively.

yeoldefatguy

It's not a television show per se but, I just discovered H2, the sister channel to the History Channel. It's what the History Channel was before they started airing Pawn Stars & American Pickers non-stop. Both are those are fine shows but they don't need to be repeated endlessly. I've also been watching the Military History Channel. They run a lot of programs about WWII, kind of reminds me of  the syndicated show World at War from when I was a kid.

If you like Scifi Babylon 5 would be a good series to check out. Its story had a beginning, middle and an end.It ran five seasons & was pretty good. It ran in the early 90's I wonder how well the special effects hold up. It was the first show to use CGI exclusively.

American History Channel (AHC) has done a pretty good job of actually doing educational programming instead of the Pawn Stars, Mountain Men etc. Although I will give props to the History channel for their World Wars miniseries that they aired last month.

BeeRunB

Copper 

3 episodes in, and it's pretty good. On Netflix, and I think BBC America.

Just started on "Orange is the New Black".  So far so good.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Best Present Ever

On a recommendation from stadjak, I'm watching "Spiral."  It's on Netflix, and is a French crime show (Law and Order-like) called "Engrenage" in the original.  I'm totally obsessed.  No search warrants, a totally different justice system with investigating judges.  And a completely, fascinatingly French approach to investigating crime.  Arrest a suspect?  Ok, then let's make plans to go TOMORROW to search his house and seize his computer.  After all, today is Sunday!  Wouldn't want to conduct a search on Sunday!  We have dinner plans!  And they bring the suspects with them to the crime scenes, which they all then tromp all over.  I imagine much of it isn't really faithful to what happens, in the same way that US Law and Order type shows get things wrong. But there are enough details to make me think that it's not that far off of reality.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

On a recommendation from stadjak, I'm watching "Spiral."

How are these not the faces of JUSTICE!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

BeeRunB

Just started on "Orange is the New Black".  So far so good.

I liked the first season. A good fish-out-of-water prison story all the way to the final episode.

The second season is jumping the shark early, as the central and most interesting character character, Piper, seems to be MIA and the show has become about the less interesting side characters, and has fallen into formula with unnecessary, redundant flashbacks to their childhoods or pre-prison life. I bailed.

Hip Redux

I liked the first season. A good fish-out-of-water prison story all the way to the final episode.

The second season is jumping the shark early, as the central and most interesting character character, Piper, seems to be MIA and the show has become about the less interesting side characters, and has fallen into formula with unnecessary, redundant flashbacks to their childhoods or pre-prison life. I bailed.

I couldn't make it through the first few episodes!  I've been told to stick with it but Piper is insufferable and the rest of them seem like miserable and/or horrible people.  I don't get it.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had the opposite experience.  I was happy that we got the back stories on the other woman and we stopped focusing totally on Piper, because I find her annoying.  I liked the second season better than the first season.

Running is dumb.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I like Red and can't stand V.I get that shows need conflict, but she is killing it for me.

I'm sick of the stupid pregnancy and all the storyline around it too.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Extant (Prime): first episode of this sci-fi thriller was v.good. Berry's back on form as an astronaut whose (unknowingly) carried an unexpected cargo back to Earth.

Hannibal: S2 E10 & it's jaw-dropping stuff. the Will & Hannibal dynamic makes compulsive viewing.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

onemile

I had the opposite experience.  I was happy that we got the back stories on the other woman and we stopped focusing totally on Piper, because I find her annoying.  I liked the second season better than the first season.

So I should power through, huh?  I'm having a hard time liking any of the characters and have heard it gets better but still waiting for that.

Orphan Black is the other one I am watching and I am liking that one slightly more.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I should power through, huh?  I'm having a hard time liking any of the characters and have heard it gets better but still waiting for that.

How far in are you?  I guess I liked it from the beginning.  That said, everyone else loves House of Cards and I found it horrible, so perhaps it's just differences of opinion.

Running is dumb.

onemile

How far in are you?  I guess I liked it from the beginning.  That said, everyone else loves House of Cards and I found it horrible, so perhaps it's just differences of opinion.

Just watched Fucksgiving.  I mean it's not terrible. It's just not quite living up to the hype and I keep waiting for it to get better.

I was one who loved HoC, it was basically my reason for finally breaking down & signing up for Netflix a few weeks ago. I intended to watch OITNB next, mainly because you can't get it anywhere else & I figured I would make the subscription worthwhile. But after HoC, I felt the need to sort of take a cold shower to restore my faith in government, and started watching reruns of The West Wing. I still plan to get to OITNB eventually; there are enough different opinions that it is at least worth giving a shot. But there are 156 episodes of WW, and I am still enjoying it, so it may be a while.

Dave