Need a new TV show into which I can sink the teeth of my mind (Read 723 times)

BeeRunB

That said, everyone else loves House of Cards and I found it horrible, so perhaps it's just differences of opinion.

It's always that way, thankfully. Keeps the discussion a bit more interesting. I never "power through" shows anymore. I'm on the back 9 of life and don't have the time. If a show jumps my shark, I'll give it a few episodes to see if it gets me back, but if I can't get into it, I bail. All I really look for in drama is a certain level of engrossment--a forgetting about the real world. If a show keeps knocking me out of that state, I'm gone.  With comedy, I need to be laughing. Plain and simple.

BTW, a friend sent this to me today. If you like Downton Abbey, you'll love this Jimmy Fallon parody of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEabHQWntg&feature=kp

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Orphan Black is the other one I am watching and I am liking that one slightly more.

That will probably be our next binge-watch once we finish OITNB.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Extant (Prime): first episode of this sci-fi thriller was v.good. Berry's back on form as an astronaut whose (unknowingly) carried an unexpected cargo back to Earth.

I just saw an ad for The Lottery, which sounded damn intriguing . . . until I saw it was on the Lifetime network or Oxygen or Oprah or something -- which ever is the network where the protagonist is always a woman (usually a white  working mother in her 30s/40s) and the antagonist is always a white man in his mid 40s lording the power of gender and macho evil over her at every turn.

Anyway, the concept sounded really compelling: nobody in the entire world has been preggers in the last 6 years.  Elementary schools closed.  Now a scientist (white woman in her 30s-40s, not sure about being a mom considering the premise) fertilized 100 eggs.  There are a host of social issues to be plumbed here, but I'm not optimistic the anti-individualist side (who brought you Sunshine and 28 Days Later Wink will really get a fair shake.

Ah well.  Someone let me know if it' at least has an interesting bias.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I just saw an ad for The Lottery, which sounded damn intriguing . . . until I saw it was on the Lifetime network or Oxygen or Oprah or something -- which ever is the network where the protagonist is always a woman (usually a white  working mother in her 30s/40s) and the antagonist is always a white man in his mid 40s lording the power of gender and macho evil over her at every turn.

Anyway, the concept sounded really compelling: nobody in the entire world has been preggers in the last 6 years.  Elementary schools closed.  Now a scientist (white woman in her 30s-40s, not sure about being a mom considering the premise) fertilized 100 eggs.  There are a host of social issues to be plumbed here, but I'm not optimistic the anti-individualist side (who brought you Sunshine and 28 Days Later Wink will really get a fair shake.

You didn't see the one about the crazed babysitter trying to unseat the matron of the home via seduction of the husband and/or emotional manipulation of the children?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

it sounds like Extant could possibly trump The Lottery by virtue of Molly's (Berry) humanatic "son" that has a Damien: Omen II chip.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The Returned (Les Revenants) is a gripping French TV series you can find on Netflix right now.  A few of the past dead return to their homes in a small French town.  Are they zombies?  Resurrected by God?  Angles?  Who knows.  I think they're making an American version, but it would be hard to beat the French narrative pacing.  The French version also makes the viewer work for things and doesn't mind holding you in suspension.  Unfortunately, the end of season one is much of the latter, but otherwise this is a pretty satisfying watch (only 8 episodes).

Hip Redux

The League season 5 is available on Netflix!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Happy Valley (2014) - This is a Netflix/BBC production.  And you might need subtitles.  The story is of a 50-something female cop trying to take care of small English town that's getting overrun by the cancer of minor drugs.  The story arc is good.  But what is exceptional is the honest portrayal of a woman in the role.  This woman is tough without being masculinized.  She's emotionally present, not jaded but still cop-tough.  She's not wearing her heart on her sleeve.  The show is honest with her age, as well.  The whole thing is just pitch-perfect, and makes me long for more shows exploring the professional/family life of women in this forgotten age-group.

It's only six episodes.  Some of the characters are dumb, and act appropriately.  Some are naive and do the same.  But this short series is packing small punches right through to the end.  The writing is strong.  Sarah Lancashire is brilliant in a quiet way. (4/5)

Gabequinn

Shows I've watched recently (within the last 6 months)

The returned (French version)- Netflix

The Killing (on Netflix- 4 seasons...amazing)

Orphan Black

House of Cards (Netflix)

Orange is the New Black (Netflix)

The Good Wife (Amazon)

The Wire (HBO)

Parks and Rec

Currently watching True Detective (HBO)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Shows I've watched recently (within the last 6 months)

The returned (French version)- Netflix

The Killing (on Netflix- 4 seasons...amazing)

Orphan Black

House of Cards (Netflix)

Orange is the New Black (Netflix)

The Good Wife (Amazon)

The Wire (HBO)

Parks and Rec

Currently watching True Detective (HBO)

Other than the italicized you have excellent taste.  Did you like any of them, recommend any of them?  Or just want to report that this is what you chose to watch?

Kalsarikännit

I've never been in this thread because I don't have the cable/DVR/Netflix/ass-parkin' time/attention span for all this, but all that has changed because I've found something that I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT.

Ken Burns' newest documentary is on the Roosevelt's. He has been working on it for six years, and I'm sure that just like everything else he does, it will be awesome. Seriously. He made the dust bowl intresting

It will be in seven segments starting on September 14 on PBS. It will stream for two weeks starting on September 15.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I've never been in this thread because I don't have the cable/DVR/Netflix/ass-parkin' time/attention span for all this, but all that has changed because I've found something that I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT.

Ken Burns' newest documentary is on the Roosevelt's. He has been working on it for six years, and I'm sure that just like everything else he does, it will be awesome. Seriously. He made the dust bowl intresting

It will be in seven segments starting on September 14 on PBS. It will stream for two weeks starting on September 15.

Thanks for the heads up. The line in bold is true. He also made me give a shit about jazz. And he made my wife love baseball, something I was never able to do on my own. I feel like I'm talking about Bill Brasky. (Sorry WG if you do not watch enough TV to get this reference.)  IMHO he is the only reason for the continued existence of PBS. In any case, I do plenty of ass-parkin', and will now go to my iPad to set the series recording on my DVR.

Dave

Village people

I have plans to binge watch season 4 (?) on netflix this weekend. I hope it is worth the sleep I will lose.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm really enjoying The Killing. I'm midway through season 2. I recommend it if you like cops and mystery. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hip Redux

A couple more shows that we've gotten in to:

You're the Worst

Garfunkel and Oats