Garmin HR monitor problems (Read 81 times)

asteiber

I recently started using a Garmin 35 HR monitor and the HR results seem to vary greatly. I can run the same pace on the same course 3 days in a row and get very different reading. 120 one day and 166 the next. It doesn't seem accurate. Anyone else have the same issue?

paulv

I don't use that particular HR monitor, but they can be affected by dry air especially in the winter. Have you tried wetting the contacts before you put it on? You can also try some of the electrode gel if the humidity is really low.

I don't trust the HRM in winter.  I am sure I can't run 6 miles at 180+ HR (see my run this past Sunday), when I am just running easy.  My theory is that in the absence of a good signal, the watch just locks into your cadence, especially with optical HRM.  This is not supposed to happen with chest strap, but it sure does in my case.

asteiber

Thanks for the feedback, paulv and Happyfeet. It definitely has been dry and low humidity here in Michigan so that could be the issue.

pedaling fool

I guess I'm old fashioned, because I don't trust any heart rate monitors, other than chest strap. However, having said that, I totally agree with what's already been said about cold/dry conditions, regardless of type of HR monitor. I can ride my bike for a couple miles before producing enough consistent and constant moisture to get and maintain an accurate reading (provided I'm riding hard)...and I live in Jacksonville, Fl

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hmm, my impression has been that today's wrist monitors are as good or better than chest straps. I've only used a chest strap a couple of times, and it was old, but I have no issues at all with my wrist HR.

Marky_Mark_17

Hmm, my impression has been that today's wrist monitors are as good or better than chest straps. I've only used a chest strap a couple of times, and it was old, but I have no issues at all with my wrist HR.

I've been using a wrist-based HRM for 3 years (originally a Garmin 235 and now a Fenix 5S) and have had very few problems.  Having accumulated over 1,000 runs I can confidently say the only issues I've had are:

• Laggy HR on hill repeats when I first bought the 235 (I changed the sampling rate and it fixed this instantly)
                • Occasionally in a race the HR will appear unusually low (this has happened to me 3-4 times and mainly when racing in very wet conditions)
                • A few runs where the HR took a while to 'warm up' and locked either unusually low or high for the first few minutes (this might have happened 10 times or so) before correcting itself
                • Also, the HR on the Fenix 5S still doesn't always deal with rapid changes in effort (e.g. hill sprints) particularly well

Overall though that's a problem with less than 2% of runs and let's not forget that chest straps are also susceptible to electrical interference or issues with lack of moisture.  For the extra convenience/comfort of a wrist-based HRM (which are improving steadily even just through software and firmware updates let alone hardware), it's a no-brainer IMO.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"