How long after being sick should I wait before running? (Read 121 times)

II Run II

Last night, I had a 99.5 fever, so I went to sleep early.  By eleven, the temperature was back to normal, but I took today off for running and school.  How long should I wait before running again, and if I can start running tomorrow, would it be too much to do a hard workout (an interval-like workout)?

I only have a concern because last year, I started running the day after I got sick, and it took almost a month for me to fully recover, although last time the sickness (symptoms and duration) was much worse.

II Run II

my bad double post

carlos49er

nothing wrong with taking a week off and enjoy yourself.

12-week layoff

Run when you feel like running.  I doubt that the longer duration of your illness had much to do with the running; you probably just had a nastier bug that time.  I've had bugs that kept me from running for up to two weeks, like both times I had the flu.  I have run a half marathon with bronchitis, and still finished within minutes of my normal time.  So just listen to your body, and run when you feel recovered enough.

Joann Y

99.5 is borderline elevated, if at all. If you are feeling fine and motivated, I would go for a run.