New here (Read 144 times)

snake84

Never thought I'd be joining a runner forum but here I am.

Stats:

52 y.o.

5'-9"

220 lbs

Body Fat: 12-13%

Overall health is good

Current Training:

Tuesday: walk 1.0, jog 2.0 at a 10:15 pace, walk 1.0

Thursday: 20 min Elliptical and 25 min. recumbent bike

Saturday: walk 1.0, jog 2.0 at a 10:15 pace, walk 1.0

Given this is a runner's forum, some of the Vets have to be thinking, "What the hell?" But if you have not pissed yourself laughing about those numbers; let me continue.

I train.... I train a lot. The difference is I weight train. I have competed in bodybuilding years back and several power lifting; last meets was 3 years ago. I have always trained and as I got older, I saw the benefits of staying fit. It seems and feels like ancient history but 4 years ago I did my first 10K, finishing at the 50 min mark. Easy to say, that distance and time will never happen again. But still in all, I would like to get my time down. I get that I'm only running 2x/wk and doing cardio on the other day but I can not have the pounding of hard running effecting my lifting.

My plan is to hit a 3K race and get it under 30 min. I have 8 weeks. It's a shameful goal for me because I have done so much better. Still I'm open to what would make this goal more obtainable.

an amazing likeness

3K in 30 minutes. Aren't you already bettering that in your Saturday workout?  I'm probably confused by the times -- are those min/mile or min/km ?

Regardless, the general answer is going to be walk & run more. Make your 2 times-per-week workout a 3 or 4-times-per-week.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What Milktruck said and:

- Great decision. Keep at it and you will do great!

- Forget the past. Its an anchor that keeps you from enjoying the moment.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

snake84

3K in 30 minutes. Aren't you already bettering that in your Saturday workout?  I'm probably confused by the times -- are those min/mile or min/km ?

Regardless, the general answer is going to be walk & run more. Make your 2 times-per-week workout a 3 or 4-times-per-week.

min/mile. No I'm not that far out but only at 2 miles now.

Your answer on add in more workouts is a great one but my problem is my body already serves a different master. Running and heavy lifting do not play well in the sandbox with each other. I actually train my legs on Sat. and then go for a run after 2 1/2 hr in the gym. I can not run on Fri. and squat a lot of weight and after Sat. leg work, I seriously have problems going up steps.

snake84

What Milktruck said and:

- Great decision. Keep at it and you will do great!

- Forget the past. Its an anchor that keeps you from enjoying the moment.

Thanks for the kind words but my best days are behind me now. Trust me, I am not the boxer who thinks he still has one good fight left in him.

I will never do great by the running standards you men and woman have set but I'll be damn if I'm going to look like a pile of poo and open the door to an early death.

Running performance is said to start developing as a teenager and peak in your late 20s. And from there it very gradually decreases until retirement age from were you remain at a basic level. In essence you are far from reaching your end potential and could theoretically enjoy many many years with improvements.

Now forget the 50min 10k because it doesn't help. And forget that there are many runners that are faster than you because:

- for every runner here on the forum there are many faster runners out there - so this applies to everyone anyways and

- the benefits of a healthy and fit life are yours and yours alone.

So in essence I agree with you. Particularly with your last sentence. Good luck and enjoy it!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

an amazing likeness

Your answer on add in more workouts is a great one but my problem is my body already serves a different master. Running and heavy lifting do not play well in the sandbox with each other. I actually train my legs on Sat. and then go for a run after 2 1/2 hr in the gym. I can not run on Fri. and squat a lot of weight and after Sat. leg work, I seriously have problems going up steps.

You boiled your topic down to " Still I'm open to what would make this goal more obtainable."  The best way to make your goal more obtainable is to become a better walker/runner.  The best for you to become a better runner is to devote more of your workout time to walking and running. 3K in 30 minutes is a brisk walk, it's a good goal -- obtainable, and fun to achieve as a starting point for a new type of fitness to compliment your weight lifting.

How you do that, or if you do that is up to you. You could, for example, change from elliptical and bike to treadmill and not add workout days.

Staying with your current workouts and strategies is an option. Perhaps a good one if it means your body "serves a different master", and that master is the one that brings you most health and happiness.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

Since you're already a fit person, I do not know what else to suggest if you want to improve your running than to run more. I agree with the suggestions already posted.

snake84

It seems like the simple answer is the best for running; I get that. My problem is I don't think I will be able to manage more running days without inviting injury.

I could never run on back to back days and expect a positive outcome. Is there a way you guy/gals manage that?

berylrunner

Rick

In your opening post you described hard running as "pounding".  If it feels like pounding, it is bad.  Learn to run light.

Walk, walk fast, and then add small amounts of running.  Have patience.  Don't worry about speed or pace right now.  Start building a base or "time on feet".

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

berylrunner

Rick

I could never run on back to back days and expect a positive outcome. Is there a way you guy/gals manage that?

I started a run streak.  It has been very positive.

One other note:  It seems like you spend a lot of time in the gym.  Make all of your running/walking outdoors.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Suppose one of us skinny runners walks into your gym and says " I want to set a goal of bench pressing of 250 pounds " You would say

"Well, that is attainable easy enough. Come in several days each week and do so many reps on this and that machine and in a few months see what you can do" Now if skinny says "Hey, running is my master and I run 50 miles each week, I have to rest most days, I can't come in that often and do all you suggest". I guess you would just shrug your muscular arms and say "Good luck"

8 weeks is not a lot of time to train for your goal, but it is certainly attainable. You don't have to run every day, but the benefits of 3 runs a week are vastly superior than doing just 2 since you will then maintain fitness gains better. Try to add a distance run, doesn't have to be a fast one, just increase distance gradually each week, perhaps reaching further than the 3k distance. You also need a bit more speed. You don't have to do each entire run at top speed, but do some sections of your shorter runs a race pace or faster. As for the "pounding of hard running" you could try to work on your running form. see if you can sort of glide along landing the foot without as much shock. Also, if you use a better running surface there is not as much shock. I like to run on the dirt shoulder of the road when I can because asphalt or concrete is rough on the legs. The newer running tracks seem to be made of a rubbery compound that absorbs shocks. Also, you can buy special inserts for the shoes. I know this is basic stuff, but I hope it helps.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

It seems like the simple answer is the best for running; I get that. My problem is I don't think I will be able to manage more running days without inviting injury.

Most of your runs should be easy.  You should never run hard on back to back days.

snake84

Suppose one of us skinny runners walks into your gym and says " I want to set a goal of bench pressing of 250 pounds " You would say

"Well, that is attainable easy enough. Come in several days each week and do so many reps on this and that machine and in a few months see what you can do" Now if skinny says "Hey, running is my master and I run 50 miles each week, I have to rest most days, I can't come in that often and do all you suggest". I guess you would just shrug your muscular arms and say "Good luck"

8 weeks is not a lot of time to train for your goal, but it is certainly attainable. You don't have to run every day, but the benefits of 3 runs a week are vastly superior than doing just 2 since you will then maintain fitness gains better. Try to add a distance run, doesn't have to be a fast one, just increase distance gradually each week, perhaps reaching further than the 3k distance. You also need a bit more speed. You don't have to do each entire run at top speed, but do some sections of your shorter runs a race pace or faster. As for the "pounding of hard running" you could try to work on your running form. see if you can sort of glide along landing the foot without as much shock. Also, if you use a better running surface there is not as much shock. I like to run on the dirt shoulder of the road when I can because asphalt or concrete is rough on the legs. The newer running tracks seem to be made of a rubbery compound that absorbs shocks. Also, you can buy special inserts for the shoes. I know this is basic stuff, but I hope it helps.

Well you really only need to bench once a week but I do get what you're saying. I think if you were trying to squat 300 lbs, you would be seeing more of my issues. Those damn wheels can only take so much. lol

It's been said several times about my term "Pounding" that I am going to give your idea of a "Glide" a chance tonight. There has to be a fare about of energy that moves through a 220lb body when bouncing up and down.  I am planing on training at 3.5 miles prior to running the 5k. Thanks for your input on this.

And hey, you ever need to bench press that 250 lbs, I'll get ya there. Maybe not in 8 weeks but I can do that for ya.

snake84

Most of your runs should be easy.  You should never run hard on back to back days.

This is going to be hard for must of you to conceive but I find nothing about running easy. I do not enjoy it at all and it's a labor regardless of the pace from the very first step. Still in all, the benefits outweigh the 20-30 min of shear hell so I focus on the big picture.