Calling all traveling marathoners: Need your input! (Read 103 times)

ccalvinn

Hey all -

I'm working with a team at Kellogg Northwestern business school as part of a Marketing Research class to understand some of the general trends in marathon logistic preparation (specifically the logistics for those that need to travel in / out to cities out of their hometown)

It would be absolutely appreciated if you could take 5 - 10 mins to fill out this survey.

https://kellogg.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_emSl3sklUYrhBgp

All responses are recorded and analyzed confidentially.

Thanks so much in advance! We need a sufficient sample size, so your input is greatly appreciated!

CT

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Your age bins are missing 46-55 (which is where I am).

+1 

Dave

ccalvinn

Thank you so much for this catch - don't for a second think we would purposely leave you all out!   We sincerely appreciate every single data point we can get!

With that said, it should be fixed now 

DennisF6

For the question on how many nights you stay at an out of town event I was not able to enter my usual two nights.  You only had options for zero, one, three, longer...

ccalvinn

For the question on how many nights you stay at an out of town event I was not able to enter my usual two nights.  You only had options for zero, one, three, longer...

Appreciate the catch! Survey is fixed.

I took the survey but found a couple things difficult:

1) I wouldn't call a marathon and Tough Mudder similar.  I've done both.  With that aside...

2) You ask how close I stay to the starting line.  Since two different marathons I traveled to are point to point, I didn't care about proximity to the starting line at all.  I cared about proximity to the finish line and to public transportation.

ccalvinn

I took the survey but found a couple things difficult:

1) I wouldn't call a marathon and Tough Mudder similar.  I've done both.  With that aside...

2) You ask how close I stay to the starting line.  Since two different marathons I traveled to are point to point, I didn't care about proximity to the starting line at all.  I cared about proximity to the finish line and to public transportation.

Thanks for the input!

I 100% agree that a marathon and a Tough Mudder are not even remotely close; To give a bit of context, the purpose of the survey is so we can draw statistical conclusions. Our target demographic are marathoners, however, we do want to be able to potentially identify correlations in adjacent 'traveling' sports (even if they aren't the same as a marathon). Thus, there are questions we ask that may seem a bit 'off', but are worded / included in such a way that we can perform analyses on them.

Your second point is absolutely valuable, so thanks for that - we missed the mark there. I think it's absolutely necessary we are able to look at lodging preferences as it relates to proximity to: the starting line, finish line, and public transport.

Appreciate you taking the time!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What constitutes an out of town event? I may run a race that's 90 minutes to 2 hours away, so it's out of town as far as I'm concerned, but in many instances does not include an overnight stay unless it has an unusually early start time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

ccalvinn

What constitutes an out of town event? I may run a race that's 90 minutes to 2 hours away, so it's out of town as far as I'm concerned, but in many instances does not include an overnight stay unless it has an unusually early start time.

No worries. Use your own discretion as to how you define out-of-town - your definition is perfectly fine. In the aggregate, the data, with a sufficient sample size, will allow us to still draw relevant conclusions. Thanks for taking the time!