Boston: When is registration?? (Read 290 times)

Mysecondnewname

I've been wondering this too, in that, I've been hoping the BAA would open up more slots for people in the community.  I think I saw something that said they would announce the actual number of time qualifying runners they're accepting shortly before registration opened.  So, next weekend?

Your wish is their command:

"In normal years, roughly 80% of entrants, or about 21,600, are time qualifiers. For 2014, "we are preparing for a 70/30 ratio, with 22,000 of the qualifier field coming through the open registration process," B.A.A. spokesperson Jack Fleming told Runner's World Newswire.

"The balance to arrive at 70/30 comes or will come from those already entered between August 19-29 whom we invited back from this past April," Fleming said. "Also, some qualifiers are among the charity program, international tour program (no increase for 2014), elite program, etc. In 2014, the increase in the number of non-qualifier places will be for runners with a special connection to the events of April 15 of this year."

Source:  http://www.runnersworld.com/races/boston-marathon-registration-opens-today

So, it looks like they are only increasing the time qualifying field by 400 people (not including the 3,500 +   2013 non-finishers, I think).   Given that the total field is 9,000 more than last year, that must mean that a majority of the increased spots are going to the non-time qualifiers.

Should make for a nice community-representing event, but not so good news for the squeakers.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, it looks like they are only increasing the time qualifying field by 400 people (not including the 3,500 +   2013 non-finishers, I think).   Given that the total field is 9,000 more than last year, that must mean that a majority of the increased spots are going to the non-time qualifiers.

Should make for a nice community-representing event, but not so good news for the squeakers.

Oh my.  I think a lot of us were counting on a much bigger field for time qualifiers.

bhearn

Well it is still effectively bigger, because a lot of the few thousand that didn't finish last year, and are part of that 30%, would have gotten back in on time anyway. We're not competing with them for slots.

Arimathea

Tessa

I have no dog in this fight, not being a qualifier and lving 3000 miles away, and I think it must be miserable for the Boston area residents to knwo that they  have no chance of getting into their hometown marathon unless they do some seriousschmoozing or raise a boatload of money for a charity. It's nice to see the BAA alloting spots for locals, if that is in fact what they are doing.

bhearn

I would not be surprised to see some of the victims participate with prosthetics.

#artbydmcbride

I have no dog in this fight, not being a qualifier and lving 3000 miles away, and I think it must be miserable for the Boston area residents to knwo that they  have no chance of getting into their hometown marathon unless they do some seriousschmoozing or raise a boatload of money for a charity. It's nice to see the BAA alloting spots for locals, if that is in fact what they are doing.

I thought they usually have thousands of bandits?    I always assumed those were mostly locals......way cheaper too!

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

No fight from me, they increased the field for the right people. The concern is that so many more people are qualified and hoping to participate.

Julia1971

They're a class act organization, so I'm not surprised.  My next hope is that One Fund adopts my idea to encourage shadow runs on that day by selling bibs with proceeds going to the fund.  I might have to write that one in...

Your wish is their command:

"In normal years, roughly 80% of entrants, or about 21,600, are time qualifiers. For 2014, "we are preparing for a 70/30 ratio, with 22,000 of the qualifier field coming through the open registration process," B.A.A. spokesperson Jack Fleming told Runner's World Newswire.

"The balance to arrive at 70/30 comes or will come from those already entered between August 19-29 whom we invited back from this past April," Fleming said. "Also, some qualifiers are among the charity program, international tour program (no increase for 2014), elite program, etc. In 2014, the increase in the number of non-qualifier places will be for runners with a special connection to the events of April 15 of this year."

Source:  http://www.runnersworld.com/races/boston-marathon-registration-opens-today

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Boston 2014 Registration Chart

Mysecondnewname

LedLincoln:

I came to RA to get away from all of the Boston squeaker angst on RWOL, only to be confronted with this.

Thanks a lot! Wink

PS:  Bo Pelini needs to go for a run...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

LedLincoln:

I came to RA to get away from all of the Boston squeaker angst on RWOL, only to be confronted with this.

Thanks a lot! Wink

PS:  Bo Pelini needs to go for a run...

If you're among runners, you're gonna be immersed in Boston squeaker angst.  Relax, it's almost over for this year; in fact, that's pretty much what the chart is saying.

Agreed on Pelini.

Strict WTF adherent

I think it must be miserable for the Boston area residents to knwo that they  have no chance of getting into their hometown marathon unless they do some seriousschmoozing or raise a boatload of money for a charity. 

That's basically NY, every year.

I think it must be miserable for the Boston area residents to knwo that they  have no chance of getting into their hometown marathon unless they do some seriousschmoozing or raise a boatload of money for a charity. It's nice to see the BAA alloting spots for locals, if that is in fact what they are doing.

I don't understand. A Boston area resident has a much better chance of running the race than a non-local. We are of course allowed to qualify (and we do so in large numbers) whereupon we don't have the extra expense of travel and lodging for the race. And the vast majority of the charity/sponsor/waiver non-qualified numbers always go to locals as well.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

PS: Nebraska fans need to go for a run...

FYP

These people are in desperate need of a "Couch to the End of the Block" program.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

FYP

These people are in desperate need of a "Couch to the End of the Block" program.

They are champs at the Couch to the Tailgate program.