Redness & irritation above eyelids -- from sweat? (Read 2897 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anyone ever had this? I'm experiencing this (the skin is flaking a little, too--almost like a mild sunburn) above both eyes, between lids and eyebrows. The only thing I can come up with is sweat or maybe some sort of allergy symptom, as I am not using any new skincare products and haven't worn makeup of any kind in several weeks. I've never had this before, so the extra sweating from running in warmer weather seems a logical explanation. Would using some sort of barrier product help, if it is a sweat issue? Like Vaseline, or something? Any other thoughts or BTDTs? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Maybe new detergent or bodyglide? (Assuming the bodyglide would have gotten there via your hands...)

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Haven't bought Bodyglide yet and same detergent we've been using for years--All Free Clear, so that doesn't even have dyes or perfumes that could be an issue. I am really stumped. My hairdresser (just got a trim, today) thinks sweat sounds likely. That's really the only logical explanation I have come up with, unless I developed some strange allergy to something I've been eating or using for years. k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Could be sweat-related, but more from rubbing your eyes! Shocked Roll eyes Black eye Maybe a sweat wristband would help, you could blot the sweat and not rub! Just my $.02... ...hey, if it's a penny for your thoughts, and everybody's always throwin' in their two cents, somebody's really making out here!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could be sweat-related, but more from rubbing your eyes! Roll eyes Black eye Maybe a sweat wristband would help, you could blot the sweat and not rub!
            I do wear a wicking visor or hat which really helps to control most of the swear coming off my forehead, but I still need something to wipe/blot my face. I keep forgetting to bring a little cotton rag or something like that--and using a polyester wicking top sure doesn't work, LOL! I also was wondering if it might be sweat + wiping it with my shirt that caused the problem. Gosh, I'm just such a delicate flower... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Gosh, I'm just such a delicate flower... Tongue k
              I've went running with her...she doesn't SMELL like a delicate flower!!! Dead Big grin Big grin
              So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
              Wingz

Professional Noob

I've went running with her...she doesn't SMELL like a delicate flower!!! Dead Big grin Big grin
                Now, now, girls... Save it for the race tomorrow. (zoom-zoom, you're coming, right?)

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm like stinkweed! Or maybe a marigold...they are pretty, but smell bad. Yep, that's me...I'm a marigold! Big grin Janell, not sure if I'm going to do the 5k or not. I do have a 33 minute run tonite, so I may push myself a bit, but I am still feeling the effects of my 5 mile from Weds...so sleepy. Hey, and back on the eyelid redness thing, I used a mix of cocoa butter and petroleum jelly yesterday, then triple antibiotic ointment overnight and things are looking less red. Very strange, though. k

~ Sarah Kay

waddleonbeth

my face gets irritated from the elements of weather and the rubbing.. i usually use a light moisturizer-i would use something for the eye area a couple of hours before you run.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

my face gets irritated from the elements of weather and the rubbing.. i usually use a light moisturizer-i would use something for the eye area a couple of hours before you run.
                      I think I am definitely going to start doing that. I'm really pretty certain now that it is a sweat/chafing issue from wiping my face with my poly/wicking tops. I need to be better about bringing a cotton cloth with me, like a hanky, and just patting the sweat away. k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

If it's not too late, here is my $0.02! (add it to the pot) I think you sweat/salt conclusion makes the most sense. After a long/hot run with lots of sweating, I come back and my face feels absolutely gritty from the dried salt, especially in the cracks and wrinkles. Plus, the skin an and around your eyelids is some of the most sensitive on your face, so it's probably not surprising that it would be a problem there. If your new "blotting" technique doesn't work, perhaps a light layer of vaseline on the affected skin before your run would help prevent further chafing.... I'm a big believer in the power of Vaseline! (I'd recommend bodyglide, but I'd be a little suspect of putting that stuff on my face.. and Vaseline comes off easier so you won't have gunky eyelids all day long).
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Plus, the skin an and around your eyelids is some of the most sensitive on your face, so it's probably not surprising that it would be a problem there. If your new "blotting" technique doesn't work, perhaps a light layer of vaseline on the affected skin before your run would help prevent further chafing....
                          Yep, I like the vaseline idea. I've even thought about getting my hands on some Lansinoh (pure lanolin used often by nursing moms for sensitive areas). That stuff is less likely to "melt" and run into my eyes, I think. Yeah, the eye area really is sensitive. That skin is so thin and soft, so it makes sense that rubbing at salty sweat with rough poly fabrics likely is the explanation. Maybe I just need to build calluses...I'll bet that would be attractive, heh! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Jill

Hi, hope I'm not too late, not been on for a while! I had something similar last October when I was sweating in the gym 3 times a week. I was redness around my eyes and eyelids and the skin started to flake and itch. I didn't wear any make up and tried to keep my eyes clean. After it got worse I went to the optician, who said it could be something called blepharitis and told me to regularly clean my eyelids with a compress and then baby shampoo and cotton buds. This didn't help and after a few months it got worse and worse. So I went to the doctor, who told me I had eczema (never had it before and it was just on that area around my eyes). Because the skin is so different around the eyes it shows itself slightly differently than on other areas. I now use hydrocortizone (0.5%) if I ever get an attack - about once a month) and also use aqueous cream on that area to keep the skin very moist. It seems to have worked and now my eyes are back to normal apart from the odd bout which is easily controlled. So, not sure if it;s the same thing you have but it sounds really similar. Perhaps you have an allergy, and when you rub the skin around your eyes it gets worse? Hope it gets better anyway! Smile Jill
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jill, I have been wondering about the exzema possiblity, too. And I DO have very bad respiratory allergies, as well. I had wondered about the blepharitis, too, as I had found info. about that online--but it's not really my actual eyelids, which I think are what are affected by that condition. It's the area above my lids, but below my brows, if that makes sense. I also have the flaking skin...it almost looks sunburned. I think I will try the hydrocortinsone. And I have had a few people recommend Aquaphor cream, so that will be my next move, too. Tomorrow I have a Dr appt. to deal with my mild asthma now that I am running more, so I will also ask about that. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Jill

Hi Kirsten, Yeah, that's what mine looked like, like I'd spent too long on the sunbed! It was in a kind of stripe above my eyelids and below the brow, like I'd put my eye shadow on wrong or something. After a while it spread to around the edges of my eye, below the eye so I looked like some kind of panda. It turns out it was eczema, and it's all cleared up now, so there's hope! I feel for you though, it really got me down for a while because everyone could see it and it hurt too. Good luck and let me know how you get on, and if you get any better treatment recomended. Jill