Back from a LONG absence - Injury (Read 825 times)

I’m not even sure where to start on posting again so I’ll just start…… Embarrassed I joined this forum back last year when I started running in Oct. I was having the time of my life in the fact I had not ran in years, my weight was coming down, my speed and endurance was increasing, I was up to 20 miles a week and had signed up for the 1,000 mile club at the first of the year. Now for the downside and my absence since Feb and March. First of all we moved, and I had problems with my computer, getting setup on a new ISP. BUT I was still running, just missing posting on my log and reading the forums. Then on the 1st of April, I was running a new route by my workplace and was not watching where my feet were going. I took a very bad tumble and severely sprained my left ankle. The doctor said if I had broken it my recovery time would have been better. A little over four months later my ankle is finally starting to heal. Hopefully! I started walking again about a month ago against my doctor’s wishes, but she said if it wasn’t hurting then continue. It hurt some, but not to bad. Today I started adding some short jogs in my walk to see if my ankle can hold up to it. My next doctor’s appointment is Wed. and I’m hoping she will say I can continue as long as the ankle doesn’t look to swollen. She feels if I can continue with PT I will not need surgery, but it will be a slow recovery. So with my plans to run 1,000 miles in 2007 and to run a ½ marathon in Sept. have all come to nothing. Can you say the word depression? I could not find the will power to post when I was so dead in the water so to speak and all working out came to a halt. I finally decided that I needed to kick myself in the butt and become accountable again. So hello again to all! Big grin I’m going to start logging again. I’m sorry that my logging is going to include walking but its back to baby steps and anything else I can do to motivate my recovery. This has been a great site and I’m excited to see a lot of familiar names here. Looks like Eric’s site is still growing! Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Dog-Love

What a complete bummer...and all for a split second wrong step! Happens though and as I get older I really try to pay attention to those trails. Welcome back and definitely start those logs to keep you motivated. After I had knee surgery, I would log my littlest runs (0.5 miles) just to keep me going. We all get derailed sometime or another so don't stay depressed, just enjoy what you can do.
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        That is really awful, but at least your on your way back! As said before, you should log every run, even if they are so small you normally would not do so... I haven't run that lately either, and am just getting back into it as well! I have been running about as long as you and have not had an injuries as serious as yours, but my heel has been giving my trouble many times. Good luck on your way back up to full stregnth, hopefully you'll be running races in no time!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I started walking again about a month ago against my doctor’s wishes, but she said if it wasn’t hurting then continue. It hurt some, but not to bad. Today I started adding some short jogs in my walk to see if my ankle can hold up to it. My next doctor’s appointment is Wed. and I’m hoping she will say I can continue as long as the ankle doesn’t look to swollen. She feels if I can continue with PT I will not need surgery, but it will be a slow recovery.
          Fingers-crossed that you are in full recovery mode and don't need surgery! I live in constant fear that one wrong move will land me "on the bench" for a long time. I think we all probably do. (((Gayle))) k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Welcome back, Gayle! Glad things are starting to move in the right direction for you Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

va

Gayle, welcome back! Baby steps make sense when you working your way back from an injury. Good luck!
                Thanks everyone! I was so embarrassed to first post again since I left the site without a goodbye or anything. I'm determined to get back to it even if I have to walk for awhile longer. I'm not the first person to get an injury and it is by far not the worst one can have. So it's time to stop the pity party and put one foot in front of the other. I'm glad to be back! Thanks again! Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

va

Thanks everyone! I was so embarrassed to first post again since I left the site without a goodbye or anything. I'm determined to get back to it even if I have to walk for awhile longer. I'm not the first person to get an injury and it is by far not the worst one can have. So it's time to stop the pity party and put one foot in front of the other. I'm glad to be back! Thanks again! Gayle
                  No need to feel embarassed. You should always feel welcome here. A lot of people come and go, for whatever reason.
                    Welcome back Gayle! I can completely relate- I started logging here in Jan and then March I started having problems which benched me more than I was running. It's only been recently, through some PT, that I've seen some progress. It is really depressing, I know! It's very hard to even log on here when you can't get out there and run; I think quite a few people can relate to that. And like others said, you shouldn't feel embarrassed at all or apologize for logging your walks. I figure if we have the motivation/ ability to get out there and start the baby steps again, then we certainly have the right to log them, don't we? Congratulations on your "new beginning"! I hope it goes well for you. Smile ~Joni~
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

I figure if we have the motivation/ ability to get out there and start the baby steps again, then we certainly have the right to log them, don't we?
                      Well said, Joni! I'm a big fan of logging walks. Big grin And welcome back, Gayle! You're always welcome here. Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

btb1490

Welcome back to the forum, and back to the running and walking world! I admire your determination and desire to get back out there again! Best of luck!
                          Good news...in fact great news. Big grin He said yes my ankle is still swollen but he's seen where sprains can take up to 9 months before the swelling completely goes away. My ankle is "lose" and needs strengthening and after a few weeks of stability excersices he feels like I'll be on my way. He does not think surgery is in my future. So with that said he gave me a long list of things to do. Lots of calf raises, wrapping a band around my GOOD foot and doing pulls from all directions while standing on my bad leg, standing on a pillow or matteres on bad leg only and moving a 5 lb weight from side to side. Everything I can do to force that ankle to learn to stabilize itself. THEN he said to buy a lace up ankle brace and continue with my walk slow jog routine. I figured I would either get yelled at or told to keep going. He's saying keep going, BUT to put the brace on. Then I got the lecture of walk then slow job, then walk, then slow jog. NO running, NO jogging without walk breaks, and do NOT, repeat do NOT over stress the ankle. Then or course give the ankle ice baths when swelling starts. He gave me some type of electric (?) treatment that took some of the swelling down. So now I don't see him until Sept. 6th and go from there. K - have to "run". Talk later. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Yay! Welcome back and happy to hear you got good news. Take it slow, listen to your body and you're well on your way to make a rousing comeback.
                              Welcome back!

Michelle

I started logging just about the time that your injury occurred, so I'll say "Hello" and also Welcome Back. The good news is, you will recover in time. I severely sprained my left ankle running a few years ago; worked my way back to where I was actually moving forward without pain; and then did the same thing to my right ankle playing volleyball a couple of months later. It took time, but I eventually came back to complete normalcy (for me, anyway) Big grin and I have learned my lesson about being aware of the terrain I'm running on. Hang in there, and log everything to keep the motivation going!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright