Chip time vs. Gun Time - Place (Read 1518 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The thing with popsicle sticks, is somehow I never get one that has an actual popsicle on it, at races.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Right on Hereford...

Which did they use at the Trials?

I talked to the timing crew at the Trials on Saturday, and they were debuting the iPico bib chip. As a timing guy myself, I'm always interested in what other people are using, and how they're using it. It turns out they had put 3 chips on every athlete: a (regular) iPico chip on each shoe, and the new bib chip on the bib.

I understand why they did it, but it still seems kind of crazy to me.

1. Bib chip is new technology, so they don't want to depend on it in case it fails.

2. If the bib chip fails, they wanted the regular iPico chip as a backup, since it is more thoroughly tested.

3. For close finishes, one chip on the shoe is no good. What if your leading foot has no chip? Finish order could get screwed up. Thus, a chip on each shoe.

They also had a high speed camera system at the finish, so chip times were never going to be official anyway.

Backups are good, but a better chip timing system (also with a backup) is better.

xor

Meanwhile, us tramps and hobos got ye olde b tag the next day.  Ah yes, "don't layer clothing over your bib" technology.  Because nobody ever does that.

Hoodoo Guru

I think Trent meant that he doesn't understand the concept of winning an AG award.

Ha!

The tangents are moot.