First Race! (Read 694 times)

Ok, so my first race is on Saturday.... the Sandwich Public Library's "Run To Read" 5 miler in Sandwich, Massachusetts.... I just signed up on Signmeup.com, and am really excited... but was wondering a few things: What are some tips you have for doing well in my first race? What should I pack? And how should I train for this last week before my race on 7/7/07? (Lucky day!) Thanks for all your help! I will post a race report and what not after the race!
      Tips: Don't go out too fast. Have a blast. Pack: Shoes, socks, shorts
        Ok, so my first race is on Saturday.... the Sandwich Public Library's "Run To Read" 5 miler in Sandwich, Massachusetts.... I just signed up on Signmeup.com, and am really excited... but was wondering a few things: What are some tips you have for doing well in my first race? What should I pack? And how should I train for this last week before my race on 7/7/07? (Lucky day!) Thanks for all your help! I will post a race report and what not after the race!
        Don't run out too fast. If you know the field, stick close to a group of runners most likely to be at your level. You can do that by looking at past race reports. For the last week, it depends. If for you the race is just another training run then just do what you normally do. Otherwise cut back a bit your training, to say the level you were 1 month ago. Let those nagging troublespots heal, if there are any. Before the race, do a bit of warm up, if only to make sure your clothes and shoes are fitting properly. Thassall
          Yeah, I am really going to try and keep a pace up rather than go out fast when I think I am going to feel better than I will... hopefully I can keep that mentality with the hills as well.
            Eh... finished in 55:10... slow than I planned, but I made a huge mistake... went out running first mile in just over 7:30, so I really went to face at the start. Also, we had to cross a street and that took time because the police had to stop the cars.... could have done it in under 55 without that (and the train crossing....)
              Nice job, Benjaug! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and learned a little bit about pacing. To me that's a successful race no matter the time.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

still alive

Eh... finished in 55:10... slow than I planned, but I made a huge mistake... went out running first mile in just over 7:30, so I really went to face at the start. Also, we had to cross a street and that took time because the police had to stop the cars.... could have done it in under 55 without that (and the train crossing....)
                Not a bad time at all. Good lesson in trying to start slow even though everyone else is pushing you to go faster. It's really great to pass all those people in the last mile who sprinted past you in the first mile! Smile This was an organized race and you had to stop for traffic and trains? I would say the organizers didn't do a good job. The traffic should have been stopped BEFORE the racers got there.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

We have all made that mistake of going out too fast.... and... more than once. Good job on the race and continued success wishes to you!!
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                    Well, on the way there they had it stopped, and the train didn't interfere with me, but on the way back, the police had to stop traffic for me and some of the people near me... of course, it was a major road, so keeping it closed for a while wasn't really an option... probably only took 10 seconds or so off...