New York woman wins the race... but doesnt really (Read 1458 times)

jeffdonahue

Just read this article about teh Nike Women's marathon this weekend in San Francisco. Here is the link http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/20/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL Apparently the "elite" women get a 20 minutes (20 minutes - that is ridiculous btw) head start over the other women in the race. Well, a teacher from NY ended up with a 2:55 beating the #1 elite runner by about 6 minutes. So she ran the fastest time (a PR of about 12 minutes) but was not declared the winner because she did not sign up for the race as an "elite" runner. What a rip off - I say you run the fastest time, you are the winner - or just dont give those elites a head start any more.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. And what is crazy is that, despite the 20 minute late start, she nearly caught up with the "elite" pack. That is sooo wrong.
      PDoe

That is so stupid it's hard to believe it's true. I would be so PO'd if that was me.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And, no offense meant, but a 3 hour marathon is hardly an "elite" time for women. Fast, yes. Elite, no. She was right to have modestly considered herself not to be appropriate for the "elite" start.
          Jill_B

I fly.

Good for her. Bad for the race and race officials.

Bring it on.

I just read that article this morning...I don't understand! Is that common practice, you can only "win" the marathon if you've pre-classified yourself as an elite? Or is it just some weird thing the Nike organizers did?
              Heroes never die. They just reload.
                GMFB! Unbelievable incompetence on the part of the race officials.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The standard USATF rule is that the winner is NOT defined as the person with the fastest time, but rather as the first person across the finish line. This runner was clearly not the first person across the line. But there are rules and there is what's right. An 11 minute faster time wins. And the rules are wrong. But then, the RD applies the rules as s/he sees fit, and at his/her peril. That is the RD's right.
                  Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

And, no offense meant, but a 3 hour marathon is hardly an "elite" time for women. Fast, yes. Elite, no. She was right to have modestly considered herself not to be appropriate for the "elite" start.
                    I'm glad you said it first because I was thinking of the same thing. Any decent runner would know a 3 hour marathon is not elite and any self respecting 3 hour marathoner would not sign herself up for the elite corral. Nike should have defined the qualifications for being an elite runner and avoided the embarrassment. It is too late to change the rules for this race. For future races, Nike should get rid of the elite start because this is a women's race. Other marathons give elite women their own start so that they don't have to compete for the spot light with the elite men.

Why is it sideways?

I'm glad you said it first because I was thinking of the same thing. Any decent runner would know a 3 hour marathon is not elite and any self respecting 3 hour marathoner would not sign herself up for the elite corral. Nike should have defined the qualifications for being an elite runner and avoided the embarrassment. It is too late to change the rules for this race. For future races, Nike should get rid of the elite start because this is a women's race. Other marathons give elite women their own start so that they don't have to compete for the spot light with the elite men.
                      Excellent analysis. My bet is that if she had been in the elite race, she would have been buried. The error is in starting the elites early, but it was, essentially, two different races.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Excellent analysis. My bet is that if she had been in the elite race, she would have been buried.
                        I dunno. Do you really think that the women who won Nike in 3:06+ normally run 2:26-2:35? When you don't have much competition, do you really run a race over a minute per mile slow? The "winner" likely ran the race at or near her potential. Which means that it would have been tough for her to cut off another 10 whole minutes.
                          I guess they need to change the box marked "elite" to "do you think you can possibly win because we won't let you if you don't check this box".

Why is it sideways?

I dunno. Do you really think that the women who won Nike in 3:06+ normally run 2:26-2:35? When you don't have much competition, do you really run a race over a minute per mile slow? The "winner" likely ran the race at or near her potential. Which means that it would have been tough for her to cut off another 10 whole minutes.
                            It doesn't matter. It wasn't the same race. And if 3:06 was her absolute best, then she wasn't elite and the decision to start these women 20 minutes ahead was even dumber.
                              so the only "elite" was the woman who decided not to call herself that.

JimR

What doesn't make sense here is why they have a 20 min head start in a women's only race. I can understand this if it's a mixed (M/F) race, but not women only. They should have all started at the same time, there's no advantage having the pack wait 20 minutes.