Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

JamesD

JamesD

JMac - Hope the doc fixes your foot.  Good luck Sunday!

Rune - I'm about your speed, & my mileage is crap too (around 28 mpw, my first year over 20), and I wouldn't be worried about not being able to do a 6-mile tempo at HMP.  4 a little faster than HMP is my longest.  Your other runs suggest that you've got a good chance to reach your goal, so don't stress about one run.

PRs/Motivation - I think I can keep improving for at least another year if I can keep increasing mileage.  I only run a few races per year and rarely the same distance twice in a year, so each one is usually an opportunity for a PR (assuming I ignore my few 5-milers & 10Ks from high school during the Carter Administration).  Once I stop improving, I may lose motivation, or I may look for some sort of new challenge.  Maybe by then I'll be glad to hear people say they hope they're as fast as I am when they're my age - right now it still prompts mixed emotions, since they're clearly being complimentary but are also clearly implying that they see me as really old.

My week was a good last pre-taper week, though it's ending early because I'm taking my son across the state tomorrow to a football game (U. of Georgia, ranked #1 this week for the first time since I was in college).  Monday's long run of 14 miles at 8:03 pace was probably my fastest ever.  May have been too fast, but cool weather, caffeine beforehand (to see if that might've contributed to my cramps in my most recent race; result inconclusive), and listening to music for the first time in a long time all helped me feel relatively strong.  My hill workout this morning was my fastest as well, about 8 sec/mile faster than four weeks ago.  Even Wednesday's swim was a little longer than I had managed before, though I didn't push the pace.

Sun - off

Mon - 14 miles @8:03

Tues - 4.2 easy recovery, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Weds - ~37 minutes swimming

Thurs - 4.2 easy recovery, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Fri - 4.8, including 3 ~650-meter hills at around 3K-5K effort

Sat - off

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JAMES good stuff it looks like you are in good form. Once PRs start to get out of reach, running for good health can be a big motivator.

RUN sorry to hear the workout didnt go as planned but to echo James a 6 mile tempo on low mileage is a beast workout and will be closer to your 10 mile race pace rather than half pace. That and you said you had already done 3 hard workouts that week is a recipe for a failed workout. I did the 6 mile tempo for the first time in ages last week and pulled the pace back slightly so i could hold it throughout. It was very tough and Im at about 45 mpw average and doubt I could hold that for a half. My pace was never more than about 5 secs apart on the splits per kilometer. Anyway dont stress it you are still doing great.

Jmac cuboid......I remember having a sore cuboid a few years ago and eventually I pushed too much and after a horrible long run with it the next day it blew up red and sore. i couldnt walk on it for a couple of days and i took 6 weeks off running. Probably my worst injury to date. I guess it was a stress reaction but I never got an x ray.

You will be fine though  Mine had been aching for weeks before this happened.

New York Marathon is on while we sleep over here but Im excited for Jmac.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - hope you got the foot sorted and it was just a bit of taper madness. I struggled with sleep and restlessness the couple of days before the race but that was the worst of it for me.  And an imaginary hamstring niggle.  The cuboid thing was all good once it got clicked into place, still sore for a day or two but progressively improved even when running on it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

jmac - my marathon PR comes from 70+ temperatures. That’s the one thing that makes me believe I can run a sub 3 in good temperatures, provided I can at least repeat that training block.

Hope you can get the foot in good shape for the race.

Rune - Maybe you still got it. Workouts and Long runs require you to be relatively rested, at least nothing strenuous 12 hours before.

James - nice 14 miles!

me - functional training kicked my ass yesterday. Muscular fatigue raised my heart beat and that was all.

This past week has been very straining on me. Internet connection issues meant I had to commute to coworking places around town and the new job is very energy sapping at least for now. I was used to working 30 hours tops for the past 4 years LOL, now working 40 hours is taking time to get used to.

All that to say that it's also raining today, so I'm not going to run.

Tomorrow I'm going for 18km 11 miles medium long run to close the week well at 40km 25 miles.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio sorry to hear your week was interupted by work issues. 40 hours per week hehe I too would struggle as working for myself I have it very good. Rain is good so get your arse out there 

Jmac hope all is well with the foot. Good luck tonight while we sleep.

Mark Im having trouble finding shoes at a good price right now. Our exchange rate isnt great and my usual online shops seem very expensive. Rebel sports have some strange models that i dont trust like Nike Downshifter etc which are cheap but not known running brands so Im not going to risk it. Any ideas ?

Big elevation week for me with over 2000m climbing mainly due to the November challenge to summit Papamoa hills as many times as you can and fastest to the summit, part of my new running groups challenge. Some dude did it 5 times yesterday ! Im leading the fastest to the top but most of this running group only run about 25kms/week so I feel a bit bad hehe.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Oct 30, 2017 thru Sunday, Nov 05, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Mon 6.2 9.30 Pap hills Link
            Tue 7.5 6:36 2km WU 10km tempo strava
            Wed 5.0 8:45 Lunch Run strava
            Thu 6.2 9:30 Pap hills 1 strava
            Fri 4.5 8:58 Pap Hills 2 strava
            Sat 8.7 8:19 Morning Run strava
            Sun 3.8 10:20 Pap hills 3 strava
            Sun 3.8 9:55 Pap hills 4 strava
              45.7 8:39    

Marky_Mark_17

Super easy week for me with a grand total of 26km across 3 easy runs, taking this marathon recovery stuff seriously! I’ll look to add a couple more runs next week as the legs are gradually improving. They’re not really heavy now, just lacking a bit of zip as you’d expect. Lowest week for me since I broke my big toe early last year!

Piwi - I buy most of my shoes through runningwarehouse.com.au now, but they don’t stock Nike or Adidas I don’t think. Typically hold out for the sales and can grab the Saucony or Mizuno shoes I like for NZ$90-$100.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark thanks. The Adidas Adios are not on there and no Nike. I might have to try another brand. Good old Dressmart Onehunga can have good deals on previous years models. Next Auckland trip ! Good patience on your recovery.

watsonc123

JMac - good luck.

40 hours work per week is hardly large by modern standards.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - awesome elevation during the week, you’re turning into a mountain goat.

Mark - 26km the week after marathon is amazing. I’d dare say most people can barely walk.

Watson - LOL true that. It’s just that I had gotten used to be a lazy ass. I work hourly, so in theory the more I work the more I make. However, in the previous job the boss was not worried about how many hours we worked every week and more about what we produced.

25 to 30 hours was the sweet spot for me.

I could get some work done, could have lunch in peace, always had extra time for personal errands, plenty of time to learn something new on udemy.com (something us in IT just have to do or else we become obsolete), and plenty of time to waste here, Reddit, youtube geopolitics channels etc.

The new company requires 40 hours a week. It also requires that I have a software installed on my computer that takes snapshots of me and my screen every 10 minutes, so I don’t really get coffee break or facebook time during work.

That's a security measure, however, and a small price to pay.

The job is very interesting and I have high hopes to stick around for at least one year, which would give me sufficient money to spend at least a year vagabonding.

They’re a relatively new company from Austin, TX, that decided that people should be paid based on their merit rather than their location.

They’re also part of an investment group that acquires IT companies going down and turn them around.

They’re a 100% home office company and they hire people from everywhere.

They’re giving a big and loud FU to the companies who go to developing countries to pay pennies on the dollar to workers just because they don’t have an American citizenship.

For the clients it's very interesting because they're paying less (since no benefits attached), but still paying super salaries to the IT personnel, and also they don't have to worry about visa shenanigans and office costs.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if your boss gave you extra money instead of spending millions of dollars in state of the art, top floor offices?

It's a very interesting disruption in the industry which I hope will grow exponentially in the next few years.

me - In running related news I cut the long run short at 12km today because I was hungry haha, I’ve become a pile of excuses. I’ll hit 6 more at the end of the day to close the week at 40km 25 miles.

Marky_Mark_17

Just woke up... JMac looking good so far and through the halfway  mark on pace for 2:55!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

And through 16 miles in 1:47, still very consistent in the low 6:40/mile pace.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

18 miles in 2:00:32... he is giving himself a great shot at this! I’ve gotta go running myself now but looking forward to seeing the final results!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If I got his bib right, he's on pace for 2h55, 22 miles in 2h27. Very consistent pace.

runethechamp

JMac is looking great. That's some strong running right there!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Go Jmac ! I guess the sore foot was good.