Sub 1:30 half marathon in 2017 (Read 323 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Arvind - how many races are you planning for next year? I’d suggest you pick a target PR half marathon and have no races longer than 10K in the 2 months leading to it.

Yes Flavio, working on my race calendar for 2018

watsonc123

James - apologies if I missed it, but do you warmup for races? It might help?

Mark - great 5km.

Arvind - nice volume. I really think you need to find some goal races, and plan better. I suspect Hanson's would work well for you.

Re NZ weather, it really is the sun. Our ultraviolet light is the most intense in the world.

I ran outside in Sydney this time last year. That was hot.

Life's been very, very busy. House is conditionally sold, will hopefully go unconditional next week. And then there's the new build design, costing, contracts etc. And work has been really busy. Plus some other unusual things that life has decided to throw in during a very busy time, such as having to help a lost pet duck for over a day whilst finding somewhere to take her.

I have been getting some 6km runs in. And have been doing some rehab for my sore left knee, which seems to be improving. I am hoping for an ok half early 2018, and a few good halfs mid 2018.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Watson - good to see you around. When life throws you lemons make caipirinhas!

me - Mark is up next in 10 days in Omaha. Anybody else have races this year?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

In other news I have a nasty cold with throat inflammation. I'm laying low and consuming gigantic amounts of calories so hopefully I'm better by Sunday.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

JamesD

JamesD

Watson - My warmup before halfs is typically 5 minutes of jogging, a few light stretches, and four strides, aiming to finish 5-10 minutes before the start if it's cold and 10-15 minutes before if it's hot.  For 5Ks & 10Ks I jog a little longer & do a few more strides unless it's hot..

This was my first full week back after my Nov. 18 half, and I kept it slow.  Still having some stomach soreness; maybe the doctor will have some suggestions when I see him next week.  Also broke in a couple of new pairs of shoes (Brooks Ghost 10 & Launch). Had different minor leg aches & pains each run, so I guess it's a good sign that the same pains weren't repeating.

Sun - off

Mon - 6.2 miles slow

Tues - 6.2 easy, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Weds - off

Thurs - 6.2 slow

Fri - 6.2 easy, stopping every half-mile for exercises

Sat - 6.2 moderate

Total - 31 miles

8-week average - 24 mpw (includes two taper/race/recovery periods)

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

I usually wait until my Sunday long run to post my weekly summary and I was hoping for 40+ mile week.  But it was my birthday today and my brother and cousin came over for the fights.  We all had a few too many and had a grand time.  Things is I only have a couch and a bed in my apartment.  My guests got those, respectively.  I sit up on my computer at 5am literally waiting for a place to sleep.  I guess no run tomorrow.  Will be taking a full sleep day!  On the bright side, the fights were great!

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Tue 6.3 8:37 Easy 10 on treadmill strava
              Wed 6.5 8:36 Easy 10 strava
              Thu 6.6 8:43 Easy run + strides strava
              Fri 7.4 8:55 Hill repeats strava
              Sat 3.8 8:30 Recovery run + 30mins yoga strava
                30.6 8:40

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
              2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Blair - to be fair those were some pretty amazing fights. I was up until 4am Smile

me - This is going down as a down week in the history books. Just 26.2km in 3 runs. I caught a cold on Thursday and it was getting worse and worse, but now I seem to be on the other side.

This will be an incredible year with 39 good weeks and only 9 down weeks due to sickness/injury (a personal best).

The mileage is way lower though, this has been a recovery year.

@All - We should start thinking about who's going to take care of this thread for the next year. Any candidates?

The requirement is to keep the fire going, never let the thread die. It survived the RWapocalipse!

Flavio we are winding down towards xmas anyway so dont stress it . It will be great when you have an injury free year !. Im too inconsistant to run the thread. We need fresh enthusiastic blood.

Blair sounds like a boozy boys night. Last time I was badly drunk was about 15 years ago  Happy birthday.

My hill challenge finished on friday. I did 29 winner was at 62. I went to prizegiving last night. I got fastest time and won a kids crown with fake jewels . Also a sealed envelope which i thought might have a prize....but no just a bit of paper thanking me for participating haha.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Nov 27, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 03, 2017.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Tue 3.0 10:01 Pap Hills 27 strava
                  Tue 0.6 12:52 Pap Hills 28 ( missed 1km ) strava
                  Tue 2.4 9:38 Pap Hills 28 strava
                  Wed 5.9 9:19 Pap Hills 29 with Dave Dawg strava
                  Sun 6.8 9:22 Early Mount with Dave strava
                    18.7 9:37    

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - good to see you are still around!  I had noticed on Strava that you have had fewer runs so you must be busy.  Speaking of ducks... a few years ago my sister-in-law decided to adopt a flock of baby ducks whose mother got killed.  The amount of mess they made was insane.  Good luck with the house sale.

Piwi - need a photo of you wearing that crown plz

Flavio - hope you're feeling better soon... unfortunate timing when you were just really starting to hit the mileage!

James - haha that's about as consistent a week as you will see!  Nice running in new shoes although sometimes it does take a few runs to break them in.

Blair - sounds like a fun birthday apart from the sleep deprivation!

Me - pretty solid week despite taking Mon and Tues off running. It was worth it as the legs felt a lot fresher the rest of the week. Got another fun track workout in on Saturday and a good long run on Sunday.  The race will likely have warm temperatures next Sunday morning (~17-18C) so a longer run on Sunday in similar temps was good practice.

M: rest

T: weights, spin bike

W: 14.1km with 3x8 min moderate effort

Th: 12km easy

F: weights, 5.5km easy

S: 10.2km track workout incl. 800's and 400's

S: 23.3km long run

Total: 65.2km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jaimegu

Watson: Nice to have you here again

Flavio: Get better soon!

Mark:  How are you planning this race week?  Do you frontload it,  or just reduce mileage?  Good luck!

PK: Congrats for the crown, not sure if you should wear it while running.

Blair: Happy Birthday!

James: Sensible week given what you are going thru.

Me:  Kicking this cold out of me.  I had workers at home Thursday and Friday, and I was limited to run.

In summary, 3 TM runs, 1 football game and 1 trail run in a mountain

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Nov 27, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 03, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                      Tue 8.1 8:01 13Km easy @4:46 0 strava
                      Wed 7.5 7:21 Tempo 8K@4:11 Total: 12K 0 strava
                      Thu 3.1 22:07 Indoor soccer 0 strava
                      Fri 8.1 7:41 Testing Puma Ignite 0 strava
                      Sun 14.2 13:21 Défi 5 sommets Mont st. Hilaire 3506 strava
                        41.0 10:47   3506  

Piwi, Mark and Jaime - Thank you 

Flavio - Another fight fan on the board! It was a terrific night.  Ngannou might be the scariest dude on the planet.

Flavio & All - I hope someone can take the reigns for next year.  I have learned a ton and gotten a lot of great advice from the bunch here.  My next goal race is a half in May so I really hope we get a 2018 thread going.

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                        2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Crazy Justin

PK- Those hills seem to be tough but a worthwhile challenge.

Heat- Where I'm from in the summer, you can either run in the morning when it's 75-80F with 95% humidity or 90F but only 50% humidity in the evening.  I prefer the latter.  Winter is supposed to hit this week and it may not get out of the 30s by the weekend.

Training:

It wasn't pretty but I managed 36 miles and am just 100 short of 1500 on the year.

M- 5@7:56

T- 4@7:40/ 3@7:37 plus a cool

W- 2@6:52

TH-4.5@8:35

F- 3 w/ progression style intervals (fastest pace was 6:16)

S- 10@8:58 (no energy)

S- 4@8:25

Mile: 5:18,   5K: 19:09,  10K: 39:44,  Half: 1:28:12,  Full: 3:21:56

Post-35 PRs:

Mile: 6:02,  5K: 21:14, 10K: 45:40, Half: 1:42:24

http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com

www.crazyj208.blogspot.com

JMac11

RIP Milkman

New Thread - I think it obviously has to be Mark. He refuses to sign up for another marathon next year and is the king of shorter races. How could it be anyone else? 

Flavio - Feel better!

Piwi - Great work on the hills!

Me - Seems like everybody is down and out with illness, I'm down and out with some toe problems. Noticed pain in my big toe just as I was a few runs back into training. I can't really walk without limping, yet it doesn't hurt at all when running,. Doctor said it's probably just tissue inflammation, he did a whole battery of tests. Said it hurts less when running just because I have good support via shoes yet without those shoes, the underlying problems show.

Given I was only in base building mode anyway, going to take it super conservatively and just outright rest with some weight cross training. It's not the time of the year to try to run through this pain, but it's definitely the type of thing that I would push through if I had a goal race coming up.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark there should be a photo coming of me and the crown  Good luck for your next race. Summer has really come early to NZ the sea is already over 19c.

Jaime solid week and nice variety. Soccer and trails will give you good strength.

Justin good week for you too and hopefully you hit that 1500 miles.

Jmac maybe metatarsalgia ? That leaves toes aching but running is ok.

Justin/Jmac thanks I really built some hill strength through 4 weeks of nothing but hills.

My running is going to drop back now to fitness jogs along with surfing and kayaking as summer season is in full swing. 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nah, it's weird. The pain is actually on the top of my big toe, slightly to the left side of it. Most of the big toe injuries you read or hear about are pain on the bottom of the foot, like what you stated. Doctor said there really isn't much there, and it's not a place people get stress reactions or anything. It's most likely just inflamed tissue, possibly inflamed nerves. I honestly think it's because of a pair of new shoes I used. They were the same exact version, but something just didn't feel right.

Anyway I absolutely loathe cross training (besides strength training) so I'm just going to be lazy and probably eat a lot of food and drink more beers than I should. Hopefully this only lasts a week or two.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)