HS Runner Crawls Across Finish with Shattered Leg (Read 1038 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

[from ESPN] Ask Markwardt to tell you her memories from the meet, and the first thing she mentions is how perfect the entire day was supposed to be. She was to run the biggest race of her life in the morning. As soon as it finished, she was to drive with her dad from Columbus to Warren, where she would be the maid of honor in her big sister Anna's wedding that night. At the 1- and 2-mile markers, Markwardt was on a personal-best pace. Then, as she entered the stadium at Columbus' Scioto Downs, with about 400 meters to go, she heard her left leg crack. The leg had been sore on and off for the previous two weeks, prompting Berkshire coach Julie Cole to limit Markwardt in practice. When she heard the crack, Markwardt thought it was a muscle pull or tear. She thought she could gut it out to the finish line. "There was a runner from one of our rival schools right in front of me," she said. "I kept staring at the back of her jersey and pushing myself to catch her." But some 200 meters later, Markwardt heard the leg crack again. And again. Then there was a louder crack, and her entire leg gave out. She fell to the ground as onlookers winced at the sound and the sight of what happened. One of Markwardt's teammates, unaware of what had happened, encouraged her to get up. She tried, using her right leg. But as soon as she shifted weight to the left, the loudest crack yet came. And her leg gave out again. "At that point, I knew what had happened. I knew my leg was broken pretty badly. And I knew I couldn't get up again. So I started crawling," she said. She said she thought not of her coach, nor her parents, nor anyone else who had encouraged her to never give up, to see things to the finish. Instead, she thought of the countless stories she had heard about runners who collapsed before a race's end and somehow found the courage to cross that last line. Even if her leg had given out at the 400-meter mark, she said, it wouldn't have mattered. She was going to finish. "They may not have let me, and it might not have been pretty, but I would have tried," she said. "I had come so far. Our team had come so far. All season, we had been working for state, and now we were there. I was almost done, and there was no way I was going to let the team down." So, she finished the race in a time of 20:24.07, only 18 seconds slower than her personal best (20:06), despite crawling for the last 45 feet. The finish was good for 67th place, helping her school to a fourth-place finish in the Ohio High School Athletic Association Division III championship. "When I saw her crawling, I wanted to cry," said Richard Markwardt, Claire's father. "I was just so incredibly proud -- as proud as any father could be." After the race, there were no tears, no screams of horror. Instead, Markwardt sat patiently on a training table while doctors put a splint on her leg and then transferred her to a Columbus hospital. She had broken her tibia in multiple places, her fibula in just one. She needed surgery, in which a rod and a series of screws were placed in her leg to help piece it together. Doctors told her they believed her original soreness was a stress fracture made worse by running in the state meet. They said she likely suffered a partial crack of her tibia at first, but when she pressed on, she shattered the bone in multiple places. And when she stood up to try to finish the race, doctors told her, that's when they believe she broke her fibula. Although her maid-of-honor dress and a hairstylist awaited her, she didn't make it to her sister's wedding. She shed her first tears when she apologized to her sister on a cell phone from the hospital.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      How's that for HTFU? That chick has balls!

I will be the first to admit that this was a situation where you just should not finish. Rather than having a relatively minor break that she can easily recover from, she will now definitely be out for quite a while and may very likely have killed her competitive running career. Run through annoyance, not through pain.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Scout7

Last race of my HS career, and it's the state finals? I would've done the same thing.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I imagine that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.

Imminent Catastrophe

Next time we get a question like "should I run with a stress fracture?" we need to link to that post. Surprised

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Along for the Ride

I will be the first to admit that this was a situation where you just should not finish. Rather than having a relatively minor break that she can easily recover from, she will now definitely be out for quite a while and may very likely have killed her competitive running career. Run through annoyance, not through pain.
                I completely agree - her leg will never be the same.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Next time we get a question like "should I run with a stress fracture?" we need to link to that post. Surprised
                  I agree. Maybe even change the title of the post to "Should I run with a stress fracture" and make it a sticky post.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The voice of mile 18

walk it off! well that coach is in a lot of trouble - ran his team so hard their legs snap?!?!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

No Way! It's the state meet for crying out loud! Remind me not to go to war with you. Really.. remind me not to go to war... but if I'm going, I don't want you with me.
                      Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Along for the Ride

No Way! It's the state meet for crying out loud! Remind me not to go to war with you. Really.. remind me not to go to war... but if I'm going, I don't want you with me.
                        *Faces danger of completely being bashed* Embarrassed 1. Are the state meets more important than your health?? In my opinion - NO. This girl is no hero in my eyes, she is ignorant. Ignorant of her body and health. Toughen it out in a rough race - awesome. Crawling over the finish line with a totally broken leg (broken from running) - stupid. 2. What does all this have to do with going to war? Run to Win offered a common sense opinion - he actually might save your life in a war! Wink

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

2. What does all this have to do with going to war? Run to Win offered a common sense opinion - he actually might save your life in a war! Wink
                          Have you ever been on a team? While crawling to finish the race she was thinking 'coach' Her team finished 4th. She lost a lot of spots obviously... so my guess is her team had a shot at winning the meet. Would a coach tell her to crawl accross the finish line with a broken leg?... NO ! She did it for her, her coach, and her team. When you compete at thet level your attitude turns to an ' I'm going into battle ' attitude. Most of the time "common sencse" runners are not in the State Meet. Common sense is what keeps average runners from being great. Common sence is that little voice that says ' slow down ' when you are hurting. Keep fighting all you runnerrs out there. Crawl accross the line!
                          Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD

Why is it sideways?

Runnergabe ran more miles in October than Cougar89. She wins the argument. I love this place.
                              The article mentions that when her leg was sore her coach had her take it easy. If it wasn't hurting badly enough for her to go to the doctor i'm sure she thought it was just normal soreness especially at the end of the season. Lots of people have raced with sore legs and while its not a good thing this would be an extreme case of what could happen. I think she had a lot of guts to crawl to the finish anyways and it shows determination. I think its amazing and it's exactly what i would've done! Right before Districts my senior year of high school i broke my wrist and managed to convince the doctor not to put a cast on it. I ran the race with a small bandage on it and when on to win anyways. It hurt a lot but to me it was worth it. If she's happy, her parents are happy and her team is happy then how is it really a bad thing. Besides doctors can do amazing things these days...her running career is not necessarily over!
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I imagine that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.