HS Runner Crawls Across Finish with Shattered Leg (Read 1038 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, I imagine that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For what it is worth, from a medical point of view, I imagine that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
      mikeymike

The runner seems happy with her decision to finish the race and it sounds like she will make a full recovery eventually. She also had to process what was happening to her in real time and her first instinct was probably not that her leg was breaking or that she was doing further damage by crawling across the finish line. Hell it sounds like she couldn't have made it much worse even if she had tried.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The runner seems happy with her decision to finish the race and it sounds like she will make a full recovery eventually. She also had to process what was happening to her in real time and her first instinct was probably not that her leg was breaking or that she was doing further damage by crawling across the finish line. Hell it sounds like she couldn't have made it much worse even if she had tried.
          Totally. Agree. I also wonder if it is the case that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
            Totally. Agree. I also wonder if it is the case that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
            Trent you crack me up Big grin
            mikeymike

I'm no doctor but I doubt a short crawl would have worsened what sounds like a very serious double break. Wait. Oh, did someone mention that already?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent you crack me up Big grin
                I'm no doctor but I doubt a short crawl would have worsened what sounds like a very serious double break.
                You know, you two got me thinking. I'd guess that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
                Mishka-old log

Are there ever circumstances where the word "retarted" is politically correct?

Lazy idiot

I assume we're talking about Trent, here? Wink

Tick tock

mikeymike

This thread has retarded my progress on several more important tasks.

Runners run

This is the stupidest thing I've read since I started following these forums. And I'm on the verge of laughing. But on a more serious note, would there necessarily be a lot of pain right before the break happened? It seems to me like it would be pretty intense and quitting would seem like a reasonable option, but I guess dropping out for any reason with 400 meters to go is almost unthinkable in the state meet.

sean

Imminent Catastrophe

You know, you two got me thinking. I'd guess that her short crawl did not much worsen what sounds like a very serious double break.
                          I agree with y'all

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Mishka-old log

But on a more serious note, would there necessarily be a lot of pain right before the break happened? It seems to me like it would be pretty intense and quitting would seem like a reasonable option, but I guess dropping out for any reason with 400 meters to go is almost unthinkable in the state meet.
                            I ran for a month a stress fracture that was visible on an x-ray as a hairline fracture when I finally had it diagnosed. I finished the season, including the state meet before having it examined. It hurt like a bitch every morning and while walking. With running though, the pain dissipated while I was actually running, but returned immediately when I stopped. My injury was nothing like snapping both lower leg bones, but it's possible that although she probably knew there was a problem, the pain may have been manageable while she was actually running.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yes. "I ate a raspberry tart, but was still hungry, so then I retarted with a blueberry one." Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Lance Armstrong ran last year's NYC marathon with a stress fracture that turned into an actual fracture. Of his femur. I've read an article where the same thing happened to a woman running a marathon. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback this girl's decision to run on the leg. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. But I'm pretty sure she never expected her bones to snap that way. Arguing about her decision to run is silly. As for the crawling to the finish.... What else was she gonna do? No one was going to run out there and help her. It's the finish line for a major event, rules exist to prevent such things. It's not like she crawled a half mile over rough terrain. I applaud her tenacity for finishing.