Half marathon still possible? (Read 595 times)

Runningaround5

I've been running since February. My longest run is 11 Kms. I have 5 kids. And between busyness and sicknesses I haven't ran for over 2 weeks. Before that I was down to once or twice a week Sad I'm so disappointed a d discouraged. I had this big plan to build mileage slowly. It's all poop now. If I start a 16 week schedule the first week in January, am I setting myself up to fail?

If you can run 11km without stopping, then finishing a half-marathon is no problem.  Look for a 3 day per week running plan because you have a busy life.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Don't be in a hurry. Wait till you build up your miles and then look for a race. I know when my kids were young it was very hard to run and I quit for several years

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Runningaround5

I know I shouldn't have signed up for it. However now that I have I don't want to back out.

3 days a week.. really? I'll look.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

3 days a week is likely going to be inadequate for a HM.  Also, you're going to be starting during the coldest, darkest months of the year.  Can you honestly stick to that?  I'm not trying to be a jerk but in addition to the other things going on in life, you're choosing to start during the hardest time of year for most people to get out the door. (I'm presuming you live in a cold climate, so if you don't, disregard).  The bottom line is you have very little time to prepare.  You have essentially no base right now.  And you've got to make a complete 180 degree turnaround from what you've been doing.  Is it possible to do this HM?  Yes.  Based on your track record, is it advisable?  No.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

MrNamtor

Based on your track record, is it advisable?  No.

his is actually the important factor. Now if the OP was very motivated and focused, I would say that 3 days a week would be enough IF the correct training plan were followed.

A friend of mine trains for full marathons on a 3 day a week 35 mpw plan. While most would consider this inadequate, he is 55 years old and runs a 3:15 marathon, so you can't argue with the results. His "secret"? Intensity, focused workouts, consistency, and discipline in not only his workout, but his diet, sleep and alcohol consumption.

RunsWithDog

If being "on a plan" with a race in sight will motivate you to run regularly, then I think you can do this. If, even being "on a plan" with a race in sight doesn't get you back in gear, then, obviously, at some point you'll have to admit defeat about the HM. But, I don't think it's too late right now!

I know that for me (busy/kids/relatively new runner), the times I have slipped off the running wagon have been my times between plans. This is part of the reason why I'm fixing to run my third marathon just 18 weeks after my second. Smile I prefer to be on a plan at all times, lol.

If I were you, I'd pick a Beginners HM plan such as Hal Higdon's Novice 1 http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program or Novice 2 http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51312/Half-Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program

If you have 16 weeks altogether, that means you have 4 weeks before starting one of those plans, so I'd spend those four weeks getting your habit back and getting back up to running 4 times a week (following the same pattern of days that whichever plan you choose follows). Find the time that works for you (probably in the morning before kid stuff goes nuts) and do it, no excuses, unless you yourself are significantly sick. You did it before. You can do it again!

PRs: 10k 57:30, HM 2:11:12, Full 5:02:57

Next Up: HM 1/6/13 & Marathon #3 3/24/13

Training Plan Right Now: Hansons Brothers Beginner Marathon Plan

If you can run 11km without stopping, then finishing a half-marathon is no problem.  

This.

Finishing the half marathon will not be a problem.  Just do not expect to run the entire distance without taking walk breaks.  If you complete a training plan, you will be able to finish the race faster and easier.

Runningaround5

Thank you everyone. Yes it is hard for to stick to running at times. However I have been committed before to running. I hate running in the dark, that's a problem for me. However I started running in February last year, which was gross and wet.

I can stick to it. I like the Hal Hidgon Novice 2 plan. It's 12 weeks so I'd just start now and repeat some weeks to stretch it out.

If I get into it and it's just not going to work then I'll have to accept that a HM isn't possible at that time Sad

1.  Figure out why you are running. If it is to get or stay in shape focus on that. If it is to do a HM then focus on that.  If it is to relieve stress then focus on that.  Just make sure it is the real reason you are running otherwise it will just feel like work.  Running can and is a lot of fun if you stay grounded.

2.  I would recommend running in the morning.  I do not have the number of kids that you have but the only way I stick with a plan is if I am up at 5 am - which also means in bed no later than 9:30 pm.  Don't go to bed late and wonder why you can't get up at 5 am.

3.  Finally, if you really do want to do a HM and your goal is simply to finish 3 days is enough but every run is very important - cannot skip any.

If you are going to start running in January you need to correct equipment (clothes).  Go to your local running shop and they can help you out.  It can get expensive buying your first round of winter running wear.  I ran in 7 degrees (feels like -4) just today and loved it.  Once you accpet and embrace winter running it can often be just as fun or even more fun than running in the summer.

Good luck!

RunsWithDog

Thank you everyone. Yes it is hard for to stick to running at times. However I have been committed before to running. I hate running in the dark, that's a problem for me. However I started running in February last year, which was gross and wet.

I can stick to it. I like the Hal Hidgon Novice 2 plan. It's 12 weeks so I'd just start now and repeat some weeks to stretch it out.

If I get into it and it's just not going to work then I'll have to accept that a HM isn't possible at that time Sad

Sounds like a perfect plan. I used (and liked) Novice 2 for my first HM and I know others who have also used it successfully. I think it is a really solid plan. Having the spare weeks will give you a bit of flexibility for if life gets in the way, too. Sounds awesome.

HAVE FUN running! You can do this! Really, you can. It's the best thing you can do for your family. Just take the time and make it a priority, just like you would if this were something one of your kids were committed to.

HAPPY RUNNING!

PRs: 10k 57:30, HM 2:11:12, Full 5:02:57

Next Up: HM 1/6/13 & Marathon #3 3/24/13

Training Plan Right Now: Hansons Brothers Beginner Marathon Plan