Why did I stop getting better? (Read 463 times)

Feeling the growl again

OMG. Stop you're whining already. You can park at my place and we can drive in a Hamilton Co plated car plus I have five different whiskey and four different small batch bourbons to select as a warm up.

+1.  I did not realize Driving While Marion was such an issue.  Having tried to follow you between microbreweries I more suspect your driving habits are at fault than your license plate.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

+1.  I did not realize Driving While Marion was such an issue.  Having tried to follow you between microbreweries I more suspect your driving habits are at fault than your license plate.  Big grin

Between radar detectors and waze, I have maintained a perfect driving record. I actually thought I was going slowly that day though. Hamilton County carries quite a reputation for over zealous traffic cops (not to mention the over zealous prosecutors and judges). I'm sure once those cops see a car with a hun flag on it, they'll just take us as wearers of the jackboots, and let us pass on by without examining our papers. So yeah, let's do this thing.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Sigh. It's in Carmel and we wouldn't be able to get whisky there. There's already a 50% chance that any car with a Marion County plate is going to get ticketed, and drinking just makes it worse.

You know, this whole "dry county" thing that some places have like MS and AL.   How on earth does that still occur in modern times.   Does the county being dry make it a much more wonderful place to live?!   As the youth get older, how do they not eventually take office and change the laws..  (or do they all just move away?)  I'm not from there, so not well informed on why some counties choose to still be dry...

Edited:   Went and looked... I was thinking it was only a few southern states that had dry counties, but just noticed that my former state of KS has alot of dry counties, and my current state of VA also has a bunch.   So in VA Beach, we finish a race, grab a cup and go to the Beer truck with taps on the outside + fill it from whichever tap we choose (Fat Tire personally, but will take the MGD Ultra in a pinch if all other taps run dry..).  But if we did the same thing 100 miles to the west in VA, we'd get put in cop cars and be taken to jail ..

Not sure if I even have a question anymore.  Just perplexed that there are so many dry counties still out there. WTF..

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Not sure if I even have a question anymore.  Just perplexed that there are so many dry counties still out there. WTF..

Quite a few years ago, I was a grad student at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Our department had a fall retreat at a resort outside the city -- in a dry county. (There are still a LOT of dry counties in Kentucky.)

We did a fair amount of drinking at these get-togethers, but at the time traveling through a dry county with a lot of "imported" booze in the car was not a good idea. A few of the folks in our class were local to the area, and they encouraged us to "buy local" -- at one of the unofficial liquor stores that, we were told, operated with the protection of the local sheriff.

So we drive up to this mobile home not far off the road, place our order, and 15 minutes later we've got cases of beer and some booze in the trunk.

Lesson learned: There are entrenched economic interests in some of these rural dry counties, and they're perfectly happy with the status quo.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Oh yeah, plenty here in Texas, too.  In fact, my county was dry until last year.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

Lesson learned: There are entrenched economic interests in some of these rural dry counties, and they're perfectly happy with the status quo.

Absolutely.  We can't buy alcohol in Indiana on Sundays.  Perhaps at one time there was a religious reason behind this, but no more.  Nobody likes it....except a few large alcohol distributors who run networks of stores.  They don't want to pay to staff the stores a 7th day of the week only to compete with the grocery stores, so they use their influence to prevent the annual challenge to rescind the law from passing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills