Wide Shoes (Read 593 times)

dork.major dork.

Hi,

I am a woman and have wide feet, women's D at least, might be happier in an E. But other than that I don't have any other biomechanical problems, so I've been wearing neutral cushioned shoes for the last few years. I am not thinking that I would like something lighter and faster for racing, but women's lighter weight running shoes don't seem to be made in wide. Would men's shoes work? Is their normal width wider?

Thanks!

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

I have no idea, but one of my favorite columns in Running Times is Shoe Guy, by JD Denton. I have written him and asked him questions stranger than this and he always gives me great answers (and has used them in his column, too!).

His e-mail:

shoeguy@fleetfeetdavis.com

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

How light are you talking?  I recommend the New Balance 758s, which are for a neutral runner and weigh about 10oz, which is pretty darn good for something you can go most any distance in.  Generally speaking, New Balance has the best availability of wide width shoes.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Men's medium is D width...which is wide for women.  The problem you'd possibly run into is a heel that is too loose and/or shoes that don't start in small enough sizes to accommodate the average woman's foot.  I'd love to try men's shoes, since I also have wide feet, but most men's shoes seem to start at a 7 or 8, which translates into a 9 or 10 in women's shoes.  I wear an 8.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dork.major dork.

Thanks zooms! That's what I needed to know Smile I think my heels will be okay, and I'm a size 9, so I squeeze in under the wire Smile

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

I have wide feet, too, and use neutral shoes...I'm currently wearing New Balance 1063s (9.5 oz) and Asiscs Nimbus 10s (10.5 oz) (didn't like the 11s, so was lucky to find a pair of 10s online).

I also own a pair of Nike Frees 5.0v4, which are super light (6 oz), and seem to be wide enough because they really give on the sides. However, I have NOT run in them yet...too paranoid to try them before my goals races this fall. But, they might be worth a try for you. I got mine on Zappos, which has a great, free & easy return policy.

If you have a good running shoe store (we have the Endurunce Shop and Gear West within an hour drive), stop in and tell them what you are looking for and they can get you into it. Most stores don't stock wide widths, but will oreder them for you.

I have a foot that has been descibed as a "hoof" and I have been getting Nike's (Air Pegasus) lately. Thier "D" width seems a little wider then most brands and I actually like a snug fitting shoe. Granted I don't run marathons......yet.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I have the same issue with flats as my foot is wide but there is no such thing in flats.  The best I found are the Saucony Fastwitch as Saucony is a wide shoe to begin with.  If you're just using them for racing (as I am) you mostly likely won't notice a tight shoe as there will be plenty more to distract you from this.