Help me out by answering some questions about your running habits :) (Read 163 times)

jusss

Hello!

For my graduation research paper, I decided to write on the topic of long-distance running. My aim is to figure out the most efficient way one could train, and ultimately run the best time he/she possibly could (without counting in the factor of genetics). Of course, there isn't one specific way of training that fits the best for everyone, but with my paper, I am trying to outline the general way one should head when preparing for a long-distance running competition in order to get the best finishing time.

I'd be eternally grateful if you guys/gals could take a few minutes to answer my questions linked in the google forms below Smile

Thanks so much!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSci72kb7oRV7h3xwwLpyRsUWVecXIff8iMHsaj4Xs0kwYh8Fw/viewform?usp=sf_link

I haven’t been in school for a very long time, but isn’t a research paper supposed to involve, you know, research?

There are plenty of books written on this subject by people who have had careers in running and coaching, and who have thoroughly studied training physiology. You might try reading a few; this will likely provide more reliable information than a bunch of random people filling out an online survey. Just my opinion.

Dave

jusss

I haven’t been in school for a very long time, but isn’t a research paper supposed to involve, you know, research?

There are plenty of books written on this subject by people who have had careers in running and coaching, and who have thoroughly studied training physiology. You might try reading a few; this will likely provide more reliable information than a bunch of random people filling out an online survey. Just my opinion.

Yes, of course, a research paper involves research - I already have a 2200+ word paper (in Estonian) written on the topic this questionnaire is about. The questionnaire is just the so-called "practical" part of my research that is based on the so-called "theory" part which I've already finished writing. In the "practical" part that I am now working on, I am supposed to get opinions and information from people and then draw conclusions based on what I get as answers.

I appreciate the feedback though, I would love to get even more replies so I could know what people think about the questionnaire Smile

You're still welcome to fill out the google forms as it'd help me a bunch!

Seattle prattle

I am not going to fill out the questionaire unless i can be assured of how it will be used. If you were to list the questions here, on this site on this thread, I would feel more comfortable filling out each successive page necessary to see the questionaire in it's entirety.

For example, on the first page appears the question: "What shoes do you run with?"

This makes me suspicious in that i can't see how that has any relevance on how to train optimally for distance running.

Sorry, but i smell a marketer. Convince me otherwise.

jusss

I am not going to fill out the questionaire unless i can be assured of how it will be used. If you were to list the questions here, on this site on this thread, I would feel more comfortable filling out each successive page necessary to see the questionaire in it's entirety.

For example, on the first page appears the question: "What shoes do you run with?"

This makes me suspicious in that i can't see how that has any relevance on how to train optimally for distance running.

The shoe question is optional, therefore you don't really have to answer it. You can also click next on the forms because the info you type in won't be forwarded to me until you click submit on the last (4th) page.

I don't have the questions as a forum thread, because then I'd have to put the statistics together myself. Google makes my life a whole lot easier because the questionnaire is mostly quantitative.

Not sure if I am convincing enough, but let me know if you are still not willing to fill out the questionnaire - I'll then try some more convincing Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If shoes don't have any relevance to training optimally, then why are there so many varieties and why is one of the first pieces of advice to a new runner to get properly fitted for shoes?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

“What shoes do you run with” is an impossible question to answer if you’re a serious or semi serious marathon runner as you will have different shoes for different workouts....and sometimes different shoes for races.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Good Luck.

You may compare how training has evolved over the last 100 years...

while it seems we've mostly all moved toward similar plans...

it seems every so often something new is thrown in the mix...which changes training.

I feel like we're all still looking for... "what's the perfect way to train"

300m- 37 sec.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

“What shoes do you run with” is an impossible question to answer if you’re a serious or semi serious marathon runner as you will have different shoes for different workouts....and sometimes different shoes for races.

I thought you only use Vaporflies now, even when walking from your couch to the bathroom.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I thought you only use Vaporflies now, even when walking from your couch to the bathroom.

Not true. I only race in them....and then I take them to bed every night and whisper sweet nothings to them...one shoe on each side of my head on the pillow. Absolute bliss. ❤️   The wife is now sleeping in the spare bedroom.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not true. I only race in them....and then I take them to bed every night and whisper sweet nothings to them...one shoe on each side of my head on the pillow. Absolute bliss. ❤️   The wife is now sleeping in the spare bedroom.

Now there's some material for the OP's study.

Now there's some material for the OP's study.

Assuming the OP's area of research is Abnormal Psychology. Which if he's studying runners, it pretty much is.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have gorgeous Vaporfly left shoe and beautiful Vaporfly right shoe....please don’t ask me which shoe I love more!

Seattle prattle

Okay i waded through the quesionaire and it seems legitamite, not a marketing scheme.

I finished it and good luck to you.

Marky_Mark_17

I have gorgeous Vaporfly left shoe and beautiful Vaporfly right shoe....please don’t ask me which shoe I love more!

Do they have names?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"