How do you ladies keep shorts from riding up? (Read 430 times)

erininnashville

For starters, I have big, muscular thighs. As such, I only run in yoga pants. All running shorts ride up between my thighs, leaving me chaffed. Have any of you discovered a cure for this? It's too hot for pants this time of year!

Elly.

Hi, Erin, Suggest you might try a running skirt.  Athletes House, last time I checked had some on sale.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running skirts with briefs and Sport Shield in spots that rub (I have the same issue with relatively narrow hips and large thighs, regardless of how small I am all over.  Skin-on-skin contact is still better than fabric/seams on skin) or compression shorts with leg grippers (like cycling shorts sans chamois).  I think Pearl Izumi is back to making a short with grippers and Brooks also makes a couple of models like this.  Gripperless compressions shorts ride up on me, too.  In a pinch tri short would also work, but they still have a thin chamois/liner over the crotch gusset area, which is sorta not necessary for simply running.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

Keep pulling the bitches down ... and it looks vulgar every time - but i don't care

peace

northernman

Fight The Future

Keep pulling the bitches down ... and it looks vulgar every time - but i don't care

Relevant caption

Nuu-Muu running dresses with sports briefs or something else underneath (capris or tights when it gets colder).  www.nuu-muu.com

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Julia1971

+1 to Zoom-Zoom's suggestion.  Find a short with a rubber gripper or a very fitted short with a tight "hem" at the bottom that'll really hug your thigh.  And, find one with a long inseam.  I don't think you necessarily need a skirt or dress unless you want the coverage.  I've been a fan of the Under Armour 7" compression short.  I have a couple pairs.  They're snug but so light that I wear them every season except winter and they have enough give that I even race in them.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I don't like the look of running skirts and would never race in one! +1 to a little longer inseam. The Asics Legato short is comfortably long, Nike Pro also come in different lengths. The Brooks boy shorts have the elastic around the leg and although they are quite short, I always feel confident running in them because they do not move! I've only had to adjust them maybe once over a 6-7 miler. Other than that it's been mostly trial and error with finding a brand and style that is just right.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

SheCan

Other than that it's been mostly trial and error with finding a brand and style that is just right.

Some brands do and some don't.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Maggie & Molly

I like runninggirlss athletic length skirt with compression shorts.  the shorts do not ride up one me at all and pretty much everything else has,  I tried ones with the grips inside and felt like my skin was being ripped off

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I've found that wearing shorts with more than a 3 inch inseam and wearing compression shorts underneath prevents chaffing. If I were brave enough, then I would just wear the compression shorts. Tongue

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

onemile

Try Lululemon. Expensive but worth it. Never had an issue with any of their shorts.

sugnim

I either wear compression-type shorts or a pair that are a size too big--just make sure they have a string for tying or you will have the opposite problem: shorts falling down.  For chafing, add a little body glide or deodorant to the insides of your thighs.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I like these shorts for not chafing in humid weather: http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Epiphany-Boy-Short/dp/B007RVUKUK The grippers are nice. I feel like my Under Armour compression shorts without them always ride up a little. I know the inseam looks short, but at least for me it covers the area where I would usually chafe wearing shorts.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like these shorts for not chafing in humid weather: http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Womens-Epiphany-Boy-Short/dp/B007RVUKUK The grippers are nice. I feel like my Under Armour compression shorts without them always ride up a little. I know the inseam looks short, but at least for me it covers the area where I would usually chafe wearing shorts.

They have ones with 6" inseam, as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay