Treadmill (Read 141 times)

fitfam

I know this might be taboo on the forum but I am in need of some help. With my family increasing in number it seems my wife and I have less and less time to go on runs like we used to (together or even on our own). In order to try and stay fit and on top of our running, we are looking for a treadmill to use for convenience sake. I have been looking at these treadmills here but I am so lost. I literally have no idea about treadmills but my wife and I really want one. So, along with the research that I am trying to do on my own, does anyone have any advice when it comes to these things? Thanks in advance!

Running Problem

Problem Child

I found one free on Craigslist in my hometown. It's older but it works. I wish it had a spot for holding a water bottle and MAYBE something to hold a tablet if you don't have a TV. I rarely use it and picked it up mostly for my wife to use to train for a race during winter. I'd look at some used units first (I'm cheap) mostly because you might get lucky and find something you can use for under $1,000.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I have no issues about running on treadmills or others running on treadmills, other than it's a substitute of near last resort if you can't run on real ground.

Craigslist is great for finding treadmills.

I've found the last couple treadmills on CL, the first for free and the current one, a Nordictrack e4400, for $75. As for bottle holders and entertainment, you can always get a clamp-on bike bottle holder, the kind they make for cheap bikes without bottle cage mounts, and attach that somewhere. I have a little TV mounted on the wall in front of our treadmill, I think it's a 24" Vizio or something. Also cheap or free on CL. It's used to run Chromecast from the user's phone, and I wired a headphone jack into it. There are also inexpensive tablet holders, but a word of advice: you don't want to attach the holder to the treadmill, it will shake around too much when you're running. Headphones are nice because you don't have to crank the TV volume to hear over the plodding of feet on a treadmill (none are quiet). For walking, the TV speakers should be fine, but most tablets are not loud enough, THAT'S why you want a real TV, for the volume. Or set up an amplified system for your tablet, like powered computer speakers.

Treadmill advice: read reviews. Get one that has a good size belt and powerful motor. If it goes up to 12mph, it's probably a higher quality one. Even if you don't plan on running 6:00 pace on it, it's a sign of one designed for the impact and stress of running instead of walking. Learn about belt lube and use it. Tighten all the screws on a used one. I like the screens that show your progress around a virtual track as well as data like pace/mph and elapsed time.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

I did a ton of research last fall regarding treadmills. I did a bunch of youtube comparisons, website reviews etc and decided on the Sole F80. If you buy a new treadmill, PAY the extra 100 bucks or so to have them bring it inside, AND take the box away. I love my treadmill it does what I need it to. My only gripe is the speakers a little tinny, but I usually use my surround sound and turn it up pretty damn loud, or I use headphones. Other than that minor gripe it's great. The deck is nice and soft, the motor is quite too. It's great, take a look at Sole treadmills too.

dhuffman63

Trails

I have a friend who trains for marathons almost exclusively on the TM...she lives in Miami, FL.  She has the Sole F85 I believe and loves it.  I use mine 90% of the time due to home commitments am have been looking at the NordicTrack 1750 as it does incline and decline.

Run Wild

I made the transition from daily trail running to treadmills a few years back.  As a bachelor, I lived very close to an extensive trail system and would run for hours a night.  After meeting and marrying my wife, I moved to the burbs and now have a wonderful family, including the new addition of my son.  Time constraints and crazy traffic makes treadmills the only option.  As my wife and I are both 100 mile ultra runners that do a majority of our training on our 'mill, I can give a couple of pointers.

1. Get the best treadmill you can afford. If at all possible, look for the gym style, heavy duty types.  Ours is the Precor TRM 425.  It runs great.
              2. Make sure the TM is plugged into a proper outlet.  This caused some headaches for us. There are a couple of things to consider
                • A lot of folks put them in basements, as we did.  Those basement outlet are probs GFI outlets. GFI outlets get tripped during the normal operation of the treadmill.  The reason for this is that treadmills build up a lot of static electricity and release it through the ground wire.  Your GFI circuit breaker thinks this is a short and will trip the circuit.
                • Make sure that the circuit your tm is plugged into matches the load of the motor. If the tm pulls 15 amps and it’s hooked up to a 10 amp line, you will have problems
              3. Find someone that services treadmills and make contact with them before you need them. Control boards short out.  Weird things happen…  you’ll want to know that you have someone to reach out to when the time comes. 
              4. Make it a comfortable space with a tv, a box fan (or two)
              5. Ignore all of the people that say that treadmills suck and just have fun with it. I just finished the Western States 100 and did most of my training this year on my TM.  And, I was totally fine with it.
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I like my Sole treadmill. It's a necessary help in a place when -40* is not uncommon in the winter. Mine is not a folding one because I didn't want it to fold it up and tuck it away. I knew if it folded, it would get stuff piled on it and not get used. Consider where you are going to put it and if you need it to fold. Something I'd learned through other runners too is that belt width is important; there are some with a narrower belt and it's cramped.

The box fan is a tip I only heard this summer, but I will remember that when the cold comes and it's indoor run time.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

^^ Excellent post.  I also agree that you should get the absolute best you can afford. A few people I know were researching this 4 years ago when I was in the market, and they all came up with the Landice L7, which is what I got.  I got the cardio display, which is the middle level one and has heart rate read out (with either a chest strap or holding on to the front bar sensors).  I have been extremely happy with the Landice and have a good distributor/service center locally.  I have an excellent TV set up, a fan and a window in my basement.   It has been great on bad weather days or just when I don't want to be in any traffic or risk a fall.  It also keeps me off of hills if I need to minimize that for certain injuries.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

People elsewhere have suggested ebay or Craigslist as a way of making your dollar go farther.  People buy, then don't use much, then sell.

GinnyinPA

I have a NordicTrak Elite 3700 that I picked up at Sears. It is wider and longer than many, which I like. It has negative incline, which I don't use much but it is a good feature if you do a lot of hilly races. That also means that it is huge and raised more off the ground than some TMs. If I were tall (ie.. over 5'10") I would be hitting the low ceiling in our basement. So that may be something to consider before buying. It also has a lot of programs built into the TM. That was a big selling point, since I'm too cheap to get ifit, but it turns out I rarely use the programs because they don't fit the level of running I'm currently doing. It's easier to just create my own.

Another option, which I'm sure has been considered, is to find a gym nearby that has quality treadmills. The $10-20/month membership may be a better way to go than buying a NEW treadmill for $2000+ or a USED one for free or cheap, and having to make space for them. I did a lot of running on treadmills in the winter in Breckenridge Colorado, at the rec center. Really nice treadmills; up to 15 mph, AND 3% downhill!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

FSBD

I like my treadmill.  I have the Nordictrack 1750.  I'm actually on my second one because I cracked the frame on the first one.  My advice with those is the extended warranty is definitely worth it.  They replaced mine for free because it was still under warranty.  I don't know if I would pay for one again because it does break a lot.  But the customer service is good once you actually get to a person.  The hold times are ridiculous though. But overall the ride is good, it has negative incline which is cool and I like the ifit feature of being able to run along with google maps.

I don't know how much you run but I put a ton of miles on mine so maybe yours won't break as much.  I use mine pretty much all winter long, when there are thunderstorms, when it is dark enough that I would have to wear a headlamp, or if I am into some show I am streaming that I know my wife won't like.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

paul2432

Be careful with review sites.  Many review sites are really affiliate sales sites.  The reviews are biased.

Nothing taboo at all about treadmills.  They can be a valuable tool to achieve running goals.

What is your budget?  If you want a true workhorse with bells and whistles you could easily spend $7-8 thousand.  On the other you could get something serviceable and bare bones for under $1500.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Another option, which I'm sure has been considered, is to find a gym nearby that has quality treadmills. The $10-20/month membership may be a better way to go than buying a NEW treadmill for $2000+ or a USED one for free or cheap, and having to make space for them. I did a lot of running on treadmills in the winter in Breckenridge Colorado, at the rec center. Really nice treadmills; up to 15 mph, AND 3% downhill!

I think the OP is saying that they need one for home because of family commitments. But yeah I agree with going down the gym route....I joined my gym when it first opened about 7 years ago and got a promotional deal in that my monthly membership fee stays the same for life which is £14:99!  Plus they have a lot of other great equipment.

I had a middle of the range NordicTrack treadmill for a few years (can’t remember the model) and think they’re a good brand. But I didn’t enjoy running at home and prefer the gym as it has a bit of atmosphere.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

tenderfeet

Landice L7. Great treadmill. Great support network. All Home Fitness Treadmills carry a Lifetime parts and 1 year labor warranty as long as it is dealer-installed within a 60-mile driving radius of the selling dealer’s nearest retail store and registered within 30 days of purchase to a residential setting.

I am in no way affiliated with Landice. I simply have their L7 (for 4 years) and love it.