Pre-marathon check up (Read 776 times)

I'm going to the doctor's today. I want to ask her about my health in regard to running a marathon (scheduled for Sept 9). I want to be able to explain to my husband that I'm healthy enough to run a marathon, and I want to have a doctor's approval to stand behind my words. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could ask my doctor to help determine, or to prove that my body is capable of running a marathon. I need to be able to ease my husband's fears of my causing long term or life threatening injury/complications during the race. Confused (he doesn't approve of long distance running)

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is nothing you doctor can do to ensure that running a marathon will be safe, and it is highly unlikely that running a marathon will cause life-threatening injuries or complications. Why does hubbie not approve of long distance running? If you DO want testing, an arbitrary set of tests that will tell you little unless they are abnormal include: Exercise treadmill test with EKG Blood chemistries, including kidney and cholesterol tests Thorough History and Exam
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Michelle, I don't think the doctor's going to tell you much about whether you're ready for it. I peeked at your log. You ran 18 miles as a long run this weekend, with a high of 50 mpw two weeks ago. Many people stop their long run at this distance, and a max of about 30 mpw even when they're training for marathons. If you do not have any aches or pains, I say you're capable of running a marathon. The proof is in the pudding. What better evidence do you need?
          There is nothing you doctor can do to ensure that running a marathon will be safe, and it is highly unlikely that running a marathon will cause life-threatening injuries or complications. Why does hubbie not approve of long distance running? If you DO want testing, an arbitrary set of tests that will tell you little unless they are abnormal include: Exercise treadmill test with EKG Blood chemistries, including kidney and cholesterol tests Thorough History and Exam
          I'll ask my doctor tonight if I should consider the EKG or the blood work.
          Michelle, I don't think the doctor's going to tell you much about whether you're ready for it. I peeked at your log. You ran 18 miles as a long run this weekend, with a high of 50 mpw two weeks ago. Many people stop their long run at this distance, and a max of about 30 mpw even when they're training for marathons. If you do not have any aches or pains, I say you're capable of running a marathon. The proof is in the pudding. What better evidence do you need?
          I'm not worried for my own sake, really. I just want to be able to say to my husband that the doctor checked my health and I'm good to go! I guess what I'm looking for are some questions to ask my doctor so that I can tell my husband what I asked and what answers there were. My husband doesn't really know my mileage, he'd rather not know. He just views running more than 3 miles as being excessive, and pointless. He says that humans aren't meant to run for hour after hour. I don't fault him for his opinion.

Michelle

I'd go with just having a thourough annual exam. Have them check your cholesterol and blood sugar, you can even have them do an ekg right on the spot. The way I see if is if the doctor says your healthy as a "horse" and your cholesterol levels are great, you have a normal EKG what can he say?

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...humans aren't meant to run for hour after hour. I don't fault him for his opinion.
              I do. This is not correct. Humans aren't meant to eat McDonalds, watch television for hour after hour or sit in air conditioned homes on 97-degree days. Running, humans are meant / evolved / designed to do that.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Running, humans are meant / evolved / designed to do that.
                Yep...we aren't fast like cheetahs. We got our meat by first mortally injuring an animal with a weapon, then tracking on foot for hours or days. Humans still do this in some parts of the world. Trent is exactly right. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

No advice, just wanted to say good luck with the appointment. You'll probably freak them out there with your low marathoner's heart rate!
                  Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

My husband doesn't really know my mileage, he'd rather not know. He just views running more than 3 miles as being excessive, and pointless. He says that humans aren't meant to run for hour after hour. I don't fault him for his opinion.
                    How Running Made Us Human: Endurance Running Let Us Evolve To Look The Way We Do
                      How Running Made Us Human: Endurance Running Let Us Evolve To Look The Way We Do
                      I've looked at that before, and tried explaining it to my husband, but he wears blinders to it. The sad part is that even with going to the dr. and getting a green light to run all the miles I want, my husband will still roll his eyes and say that he'll meet me at the hospital, or to be sure to wear my Road ID so they can identify the body. Roll eyes

Michelle

No advice, just wanted to say good luck with the appointment. You'll probably freak them out there with your low marathoner's heart rate!
                        Thank you. I don't think my heart rate is there yet, I have been slowly increasing my miles and just got to the point where I'm at my max.

Michelle

I've looked at that before, and tried explaining it to my husband, but he wears blinders to it. The sad part is that even with going to the dr. and getting a green light to run all the miles I want, my husband will still roll his eyes and say that he'll meet me at the hospital, or to be sure to wear my Road ID so they can identify the body. Roll eyes
                          Well that will make your finishing the marathon THAT much sweeter!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm sorry that you don't have a spouse that supports you in your endeavors. Like you said, there's probably nothing you or your doctor will say to convince him otherwise. So why not just do it and show him that he's wrong? I, on the other hand, know you can do it. I believe in you!!!
                              I'm sorry that you don't have a spouse that supports you in your endeavors. Like you said, there's probably nothing you or your doctor will say to convince him otherwise. So why not just do it and show him that he's wrong? I, on the other hand, know you can do it. I believe in you!!!
                              DITTO!!

Blush Thank you for your support! It's very much appreciated! Big grin (so I guess I should probably tell him that I've signed up for a marathon)

Michelle