What to do when you can't run (Read 664 times)

Hey, I fractured a bone in my foot playing basketball just days before a 20 mile race. I know it was not the smartest move to do that so soon before a race but now I am not able to do any of the sports I typically play for 4-6 weeks. The only thing I can do is bike, but that can get boring at times. Any ideas on anything else to do? Or what have others done to deal with not being able to run for a month. I get so frustrated and jealous when I see people running outside and it is driving me crazy. I am so hyper but there is little I can do about it. Never thought I would ever say that I actually miss running!!! Thanks!
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ack, that's frustrating. I was out for all of June and some of July. Someone mentioned pool running, so I went down to the Y and tried it. It's helpful to look online for training ideas, such as doing intervals. I didn't like it as much as real running, but it was better than nothing.

Best Present Ever

As someone who's been stuck in the pool for 3 weeks now due to knee issues, I can say that it is REALLY boring. I make myself do an hour. It helps if someone else is around to 'run' with me, for at least part of the time. I also do some intervals to make the time go faster and take the belt off for harder intervals. I've heard folks say they do their whole session without a belt, but I'd drown. I've been alternating running in the pool with swimming (which isn't as good for me mentally as running outside, but is less boring than pool running) and upper body weight work, and trying to distract myself with the 100 push up challenge. If you can do the elliptical, that, for me, is the most satisfying of the inside cardio options.
          I would probably do some stretching each day for an hour, you can work on your upper body shoulder and neck stretches, I am assuming you could also do some ab work on like a fitness ball, and if you can ride a bike then you could do an hour at a slow HR to maintain some fitness, it usually takes a couple of months before you start losing fitness, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
            Id probably get really grumpy and be mean to everyone Sad....and in the evening a little YOGA Wink.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Ugh - you poor thing. Running is EVERYWHERE when you can't do it. I had to take a 10-week break from it last year and just about went stir crazy. I tried some swimming (but I float like an anvil, so not a good idea), did some upper body weight training and lots of abs work. I also tried in vain to get into other hobbies not exercise-related. Oh and just like John-A said, I turned into an evil snarling beast at times, okay, most of the time. DH was overjoyed once I was healed and back on the road. Big grin
              ~ Fly ~
              Only as much as I dream can I be.
              veggies on the run
                I feel your pain. I had to take off 6 weeks for a stress fracture in the Spring of 2007. It was horrible cuz in the Spring everybody's out running, especially those new to the game. I always wanted to flip the runners off. Blush. I had a walking cast, so it was hard to do anything but, I did do the elipitical trainer daily. I even walked the Komen that May....on crutches Blush I just couldn't let it go............................
                Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th