Marathon "selfies" causing injuries (Read 418 times)

I've brought a cell phone to a race on a couple occasions.  I call my wife at about mile 12 of a half in big races so she can know I'm coming through soon, and so we can arrange where to meet up after.   Plenty of space at mile 12 for that.

But I have have seen a person in front of me start running backwards at the MCM, trying to take a pic of the group of friends they came to the run with.  

And I have seen those folks who get on a phone at mile 2 and stay on it seemingly endlessly, telling their significant other what to get at the grocery store....   

And once in NC, I saw a person with an Ipad trying to record the start of the race as they ran, then they ducked across folks at the half mile mark of the race (crowded) to hand off the Ipad to their fan club along the sidelines....

---  If folks get rid of all their selfie/groupie attempts, phones and Ipads, I will get rid of my phone as well.   Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I was nearly taken out by a huge 8-point buck on Belle Isle during my first marathon (Detroit).  Back then, Belle Isle was late in the race.  At that point in the race I was a bit disappointed he missed me.

I had the same treatment in Madison WI during my first full ... Yeah, he could have stomped me into the ground and I wouldn't have noticed.

Tim 

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I've brought a cell phone to a race when I've been pacing a friend and in fact recorded 20 minutes of race-time, but I didn't record in a crowd, get in anyone's way, or stop infront of anybody to take pictures. It was probably still horribly annoying to others though...

In a competitive race? Never, ever.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

#artbydmcbride

I ran a race that went over a steep bridge recently.  Lots of folks stopped to take selfies with the scenery as backdrop.  I tried to photobomb as many as I could while maintaining pace.

Runners run

But I have have seen a person in front of me start running backwards at the MCM, trying to take a pic of the group of friends they came to the run with.  

Wow, I'll watch out for that I run Marine Corps this year.  Heh.  I've never taken a camera to a race or tried to take a phone picture while running either.  Usually, I'm to busy "racing".  Maybe I take myself too seriously!  I would think that if you were going to take a photo, you'd pull off to the side of the course or do it before/after the event.  Sometimes people don't have common sense.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

wildchild

Carolyn

I've carried a small camera (not a cell phone) at several scenic trail races, including the Bighorn 50k, Gorge Waterfalls 50k, and the Moab Trail Marathon.  I step to the side to take a few pictures of the scenery (not selfies!) and I don't think the 30 seconds it takes for half a dozen pictures changes how I place in the race standings.    I've seen other runners taking pictures on scenic courses and it doesn't bother me as long as they get out of the way.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I've carried a small camera (not a cell phone) at several scenic trail races, including the Bighorn 50k, Gorge Waterfalls 50k, and the Moab Trail Marathon.  I step to the side to take a few pictures of the scenery (not selfies!) and I don't think the 30 seconds it takes for half a dozen pictures changes how I place in the race standings.    I've seen other runners taking pictures on scenic courses and it doesn't bother me as long as they get out of the way.

Off-topic: I'm planning on running Gorge Waterfalls next year. Is it as awesome as it looks?

northernman

Fight The Future

Never mind the camera, tell me about the Moab Marathon! Good? I'm very interested

While you're at it, might as well tell us about Bighorn too.

Feeling the growl again

... as long as they get out of the way.

And, right there, is the crux of it.  That's all it takes.  It does not bother me if people want to take pics in races as long as they are considerate.  It just makes it easier for me to pass them.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills