12k's of Christmas (Read 78 times)

anyone from PNW run the Kirkland 12's of Christmas?   Dave PNW? anyone?  looking for info on the actual course

Hi.  I've only run the 5k there. It's got one really stupid hill, one moderately stupid hill, and an uncomfortably steep downhill at the very end. Here is the link to my log entry. 

Here's someone else who ran the 12k. (if the link works) Looks like a big hill at mile 2.5, and the same downhill at the end.

If you care about your time, I'd avoid it. Race is fine otherwise.

Dave

I think this race got bought out by the Snohomish Running Company.   anyway, checked out the course profiles & it looks like the 5k is actually more hilly & they go out different direction at beginning??   Have the courses been changed?  Does not look quite as menancing as Mercer Island.

I just ran Seattle HM with new course.   last 3-4 miles were not as hard (hilly) as before but couple other hills were added earlier.  I think they took  a moderately hard race & made it more difficult.  Talked with a few others after & that appears to be the concensus.

thanks for the feedback!

Snohomish Running is a pretty good race company.

Yes I think 5k/12k go different directions at the start. I would say 5k is a bit worse for pure hill concentration, but both look pretty undesirable to me (based on the 2015 course - no idea if it's changed). I ran the Kirkland St Patrick's Day 5k this year, and (unfortunately) I think was the exact same course as this one. Saying it's not as bad as Mercer Island is not necessarily a ringing endorsement in my book, I hated that one. Besides the continuous hills, the start area was too narrow & congested for the size of the race, and it wasn't till about 1 mile in that I felt I had room to run.

If you have any other local race questions/comments, feel free to PM me as well.

Dave

looks like the total elevation change between the two distances is just about the same, so yeah 5k would be tougher since it is 3.1 miles vs 7.4.   Ive run the the 5k & 10k @ Mercer & don't recall any flat sections,  pretty much either up or down. just the grade changes.   Mercer is very well organized/planned event (good vendors/lots of food).   Course itself not so much & start is very crowded especially at start since it drops immediately when everyone is hyped & running fast down the hill & corner.  if rain is involved it can actually be a bit dangerous down that first hill.   Ive run Mercer Island 2x somehow & placed AG both times.  5k first yr, 10k the next yr.  The Mercer HM scares me!

I'm not as fast as you & definitely not an elite but still interested in my times.  More concerned about my effort.  I do adjust my goal times depending on what the course is like. Ive run 2 12k's before-the Landing at Renton, & Bellingham (Fairhaven).  12k is a fun distance.

Saying it's not as bad as Mercer Island is not necessarily a ringing endorsement in my book, I hated that one. 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

That's an adorable name, I have to say!

witty