Does Garlic Help To Improve VO2max? (Read 1068 times)

Big grin http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/issues/sag-00-30-6/sag-30-6-8-9909-19.pdf
    The results showed that the mean VO2max value and the mean endurance performance time for the treadmill running test increased significantly 5 h after the ingestion of a single dose of garlic as compared to the placebo test...

SMART Approach

Interesting. Even though the results weren't substantially different, they were statistically signifcant. Pretty harmless. Why not try it? Kwai garlic is readily available in U.S. http://www.vitacost.com/KwaiEveryDay#IngredientFacts

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I can almost guarantee that if you swallow a heap of garlic before a run, most people aren't gonna be wanting to run anywhere near your breath!!! So you'll either be waaaaay in front, or everyone will be passing you so they don't have be running downwind Big grin

SMART Approach

Ha! That is why you take the odorless garlic in supplement form.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Yeah, but it wouldn't be as much fun as watching runners dropping away from you now would it!!! Big grin
            seeEricaRun

Awesome

You'd think the Italians would be putting out more great athletes.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no way to know based on the information provided in the article. In an RCT, the characteristics of each group, while randomly assigned, may still differ. For example, the garlic group may be younger or more likely to be male. All good RCTs compare demographics between the groups to prove that randomization truly equalized these potentially confounding variables. This garlic study did not. Does garlic help to improve VO2 Max? Maybe. Maybe not. But this study provides NO reliable evidence either way.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, on re-reviewing the results, this study had NOWHERE near the power to achieve the P values they got. They state that they used T testing, which is reasonable, but with so few subjects and confidence intervals that overlap between groups, I am suspicious that the P values reported are incorrect. Since they provide the actual data, I am tempted to repeat the analysis. But first, I'm off to run. Which is more likely to improve performance... Smile
                  JakeKnight

But first, I'm off to run. Which is more likely to improve performance... Smile
                    You made me read this. I hope you're happy. WTF were you doing up at 4:37?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Log stalker. Garlic gives me gas anyway.
                      JakeKnight

Garlic gives me gas anyway.
                        I'm not sure that can get worse.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, on re-reviewing the results, this study had NOWHERE near the power to achieve the P values they got. They state that they used T testing, which is reasonable, but with so few subjects and confidence intervals that overlap between groups, I am suspicious that the P values reported are incorrect. Since they provide the actual data, I am tempted to repeat the analysis.
                          I hate myself for doing this, but I repeated their analysis. For a paired t-test, I obtained p-value of 0.0051. The reason this value is so surprisingly low is that it is a paired t-test as opposed to a standard t-test. Using a standard t-test for means assuming equal variances, I got p=0.4554 (two-tailed). However, since these are not two random groups, but rather, the same individuals being measured twice, the paired test is indicated, and the researchers chose correctly. However, I'm still dubious of the conclusion because of the sample size. And something doesn't smell right (excuse the pun). I can barely believe that not one of the subjects had a higher VO2max with the placebo. I mean, you're doing the same test two weeks apart, but since it's a treadmill test rather than actual VO2max measured from breath analysis, you think at least one person would have felt kind of crappy on their random "garlic" day and not been able to stay on the treadmill as long. Also seems odd when you look at the delta between garlic and placebo # garlic placebo delta 1 48.8 48.8 0 2 63.5 60.6 2.9 3 60.6 57.6 3 4 54.7 51.8 2.9 5 51.8 51.8 0 6 63.5 60.6 2.9 7 63.5 63.5 0 8 57.6 54.7 2.9 9 57.6 54.7 2.9 10 51.8 51.8 0 So garlic either has no effect, or increases your VO2max by 2.9 (or 3.0) in one case. Confused Seems fishy to me. If I continue to hate myself this afternoon, I may do more rigorous analysis with our DOE software in the lab (as opposed to Excel, which I used). Speaking of software, who the f**k needs SPSS to do a friggin' t-test?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Paging Dr. Dilligaf. Dr. Dilligaf, please report to the garlic lab.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Were the data normally distributed? The confidence intervals overlap. The outcome cannot be significant. What is the rationale for pairing? Just because they are the same subjects with and without the intervention does not necessarily justify this unless they can demonstrate that all other factors are equal. And they cannot be since there may have been a learning effect. And I stand by my concern that they did not look for confounders.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Were the data normally distributed?
                                n=10 is too small to really tell if the data are normally distributed, so that's a red flag right there.
                                The confidence intervals overlap. The outcome cannot be significant.
                                True, but in a paired test, you are actually testing whether the mean difference is statistically different from zero. Surprisingly, this is significant in their study despite 4/10 subjects having a difference of zero. This is because the differences were not normally distributed. MTA: the mean difference is 1.75 with s=1.506. The 95% confidence interval for the mean difference comes out to 1.75±0.93. [±1.96*sqrt(s/n) 1.96 is the point on the standard normal curve corresponding to alpha=0.05 (95% of the data) ] Since this interval does not contain zero, the difference in means is statistically significant.
                                What is the rationale for pairing? Just because they are the same subjects with and without the intervention does not necessarily justify this unless they can demonstrate that all other factors are equal. And they cannot be since there may have been a learning effect. And I stand by my concern that they did not look for confounders.
                                Their rationale for pairing is that they're the same subjects before and after treatment with garlic. They justify this by saying the garlic application was random (some test garlic, then placebo, others the opposite). I agree with you, Trent; that's not enough control. Too small of a study -- 4/10 showed no difference, sample size too small, pair assumption is dubious. I love me some garlic, but maybe I should just run more. Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.