Shin Problems? (Read 52 times)

wmbloke

Hello! I've been using a couch to 5k to get back into running. I'm on week 5 and things are going pretty well, but I do have one problem. During my longer running intervals or when I'm nearing the end of my series of runs, my shins start to burn. It's not painful, but more like the burning you'd associate with a fatigued muscle. After my runs, my shins feel fine. They feel good the next day too. Is this just classic shin-splints or could it be something else?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Burning doesn't sound good. It does sound like shin splits If it's shin splints, initially the burning will go away when you stop, but if you don't deal with it, it will get worse. How old are the shoes that you are running in? If they are an old pair, you might need to replace them. Also consider where you are running; grass is going to be the most forgiving, gravel pathways are good. Pavement isn't bad. Concrete/Sidewalks is the hardest. I know if I run too much on sidewalks, I feel it in my knees.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CalBears

How many months/years have you ran before starting this couch to 5k program? If you only run 5 weeks, that would explain a lot. Also, it's possible you are running your runs too fast for your fitness. And if you use old shoes or "wrong" shoes that would also be a problem.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Compartment syndrome has no quick fix, it takes time for the sheath to adjust to the muscle growth.

https://runnersconnect.net/compartment-syndrome-what-is-it-and-how-to-fix-it/

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wmbloke

How many months/years have you ran before starting this couch to 5k program? If you only run 5 weeks, that would explain a lot. Also, it's possible you are running your runs too fast for your fitness. And if you use old shoes or "wrong" shoes that would also be a problem.

I've not done any road running in years, and have not been super active since fall. Most of my running comes from playing sports (ultimate and soccer). This year, I decided to get into better shape before playing starts. So would you think it's just conditioning?

I did just order a new pair of shoes. My old ones did not have a lot of miles on them but they were older.

CalBears

I've not done any road running in years, and have not been super active since fall. Most of my running comes from playing sports (ultimate and soccer). This year, I decided to get into better shape before playing starts. So would you think it's just conditioning?

I did just order a new pair of shoes. My old ones did not have a lot of miles on them but they were older.

I would just run for now, steadily increasing the mileage when your legs feel ok - would not worry about pace. Run, see how legs feel, run again, if something is not right (shins?), take day off, shins still bother - take day off again. Get to the point such beginners issues don't bother you. Maybe try treadmill that usually better on your legs - run by feel, not by what you have in mind for your pace. Make sure you are getting to the point where you run some decent miles, I do not know - 20-25 per week maybe before thinking about any plans, build the base - it will help you tremendously. Of course if you intent to do it for forseeable future - just what I would do, who knows - it might not excite you enough. At the end try something what you enjoy but one thing is constant - if something really bothers you, you should not run through it, especially not at the beginning - you will be sidelined for more time than you do if you take days off - and you will not get any fun from running in case you have any issues.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Maybe try treadmill that usually better on your legs 

Eek, I find treadmill harder than outside and tougher on my legs. Your mileage may vary.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CalBears

Eek, I find treadmill harder than outside and tougher on my legs. Your mileage may vary.

I do not know what is "eek" about it but it's a fact that running on a treadmill is easier on your legs than outside just for a mere presence of shock absorption system on any decent TM, not to mention that TM helps your legs turnover. Yes, I agree, mentally TM might be harder, but physically? Nothing to do with "your mileage may vary" - sorry...

Btw, running on a grass might be more forgiving than on an asphalt, but it's more injury prone due to uneven surface - it's also a fact. In any case the best preparation should be done on a surface similar what you will be racing on. I was preparing for my first marathon many years ago on a TM training 100% of time on it (there was a reason for that) - I am glad the machine broke 3 weeks before the marathon - I started to train on a track and immediately was having pains and aches due to harder surface - it took me almost 2 weeks just to adapt to a new surface. I still think I was not 100% ready because of that. Not sure why I share that Smile

repman

I do not know what is "eek" about it but it's a fact that running on a treadmill is easier on your legs than outside just for a mere presence of shock absorption system on any decent TM, not to mention that TM helps your legs turnover. Yes, I agree, mentally TM might be harder, but physically? Nothing to do with "your mileage may vary" - sorry...

Btw, running on a grass might be more forgiving than on an asphalt, but it's more injury prone due to uneven surface - it's also a fact. In any case the best preparation should be done on a surface similar what you will be racing on. I was preparing for my first marathon many years ago on a TM training 100% of time on it (there was a reason for that) - I am glad the machine broke 3 weeks before the marathon - I started to train on a track and immediately was having pains and aches due to harder surface - it took me almost 2 weeks just to adapt to a new surface. I still think I was not 100% ready because of that. Not sure why I share that Smile

I have to respectfully and totally disagree. Especially for a dude that is a little on the heavy side. Treadmill is HORRIBLE on my legs, especially my shins and knees. The impact is BRUTAL. 

When I run I take short controlled strides on a treadmill every step is literally jarring. 

I cannot run on a treadmill.

I think it's the "give" on most treadmills that makes running on them slower and generates more aches and pains. Concrete and asphalt don't "give" and my legs always feel better running on those, and I go faster with less effort.

The way our gait cycle works, the body starts moving from one muscle group to the next depending on ques it gets. If you're still sinking down after impact (treadmill with "suspension") you might be activating a different muscle group too soon. Or too late. Anyway, something there is not conducive to running. I'd make a treadmill with all the suspension of asphalt if I were designing one for runners.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CalBears

I have to respectfully and totally disagree. Especially for a dude that is a little on the heavy side. Treadmill is HORRIBLE on my legs, especially my shins and knees. The impact is BRUTAL. 

When I run I take short controlled strides on a treadmill every step is literally jarring. 

I cannot run on a treadmill.

I think it's all related - you have shins problem, you feel horrible on treadmills, you actually cannot run on treadmills? Come on - it supposed to be a very simple thing - go out and run - treadmill, asphalt, concrete or grass - it supposed to be no much difference where you run. And do not even start on low drop shoe or high drop shoe - just get used to all of them and you will be one happy runner - otherwise you just unnecessarily things and just looking for more excuses Smile

OlgaBelivskaia

link spam