How would you feel/what would you do if your house was on fire? (Read 205 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

--- I'm  a minimalist.  I bought this home in the 1990's..  have some nice items in my home and have done alot of the maintenance and improvement work myself, but...  If a fire ever took it to the ground, It would just be another project to take the insurance money and start on the next home.  

--- There'd be some keepsakes and pictures gone, but I remember what my kids look like.  Even though I am only 40, I am already in that "can't take it with you when you croak anyway" mentality.     In short, my wife would likely be very upset for months, I'd just be looking at how to build the next home and how soon can we get it done

This is me.  Except for the age of the home and being at all competent with maintenance and improvement work.  One of my thoughts as I watched the flames engulf my home would likely be, "Well, at least I don't have to put up those blinds now."

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Crashplan is the best $5 a month I spend, and I spend it because losing all the pictures and video of my kids growing up would be devastating.  All the pics and movies from our cameras, phones, camcorders, etc get put onto the computer in the office.  Crashplan monitors it and as soon as there is something new it syncs it to "the cloud".  I can download anytime from anywhere.  I'm up to about 210gigs worth at the moment.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

My husband and I saved half our income for five years so we could purchase land and build our own house.  We did all the work except for the excavation and the cement work.  It took us about 18 months to build it, commuting three hours from our city apartment every single weekend and holiday and vacation.  My dad was our only help.

That being said, if my house caught fire, the only thing that would matter to me is getting my husband and my dogs out safely.  I would gladly trade the house (which is my proudest accomplishment) for my family.

Leah, mother of dogs

Tim_Easterday

I would first make sure my wife was safe then grab at least one of the cats (we have four cats but there's only one I really like). Everything else is replaceable.

These posts were sequential; I am trying to figure out if the 2nd was in response to the 1st.

I don't own a fire box so i would damn sure grab my collection of Hustler mags, and my bong, everything else is replaceable.

Yep, art and musical instruments would be the biggest irreplaceable loss.

I can't imagine missing too much stuff. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't really care about photos.

Of course starting completely over -- buying a new house and replacing even the barest of essentials (clothes, appliances, furniture, dishes, etc.) -- would be an enormous hassle. Not to mention dealing with the insurance company.

Dave

Joann Y

Yes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

These posts were sequential; I am trying to figure out if the 2nd was in response to the 1st.

Yep, art and musical instruments would be the biggest irreplaceable loss.

I can't imagine missing too much stuff. I sometimes feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't really care about photos.

Of course starting completely over -- buying a new house and replacing even the barest of essentials (clothes, appliances, furniture, dishes, etc.) -- would be an enormous hassle. Not to mention dealing with the insurance company.

No Hustlers and bongs for me; skip back to the two posts prior to that one.

Joann Y

Too bad Led, I thought you were a genius!

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I've worked as a firefighter.  Please, if your house catches fire just get out.  It gets dark, smoky, hot and disorienting faster than you think and nothing you have in your house, except for you and your family members, is worth dying for.

Hope the family in the OP is able to pull things together.

This thread did remind me of this, though.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

CT JEFF

New wood stove insert this week. Smoke alarm went off. 6y.o said, "we havent had a fire drill" - so, that weekend, I did. Interestingly, for about 30 seconds, the kids ignored the noise. Then I said, "THIS IS A FIRE DRILL". There is snow on the ground. One son had shoes (dress shoes actually) on already, the other in socks. We put boots on and went out the door. - Once drill was over, I explained to DS1 how to unlock our door (double-sided keyed deadbolt).

First priority, repeating this drill, and getting better results. Kids, me and wife out safely.

Second priority: coats, and/or car keys. Dog. Cell phone. Laptop.

I also need to back up photos. I did this in the past, but need to do it again. Both physically and to the cloud. The thing Id miss the most is the photos on the walls. Id miss my saltwater aquarium. And Id miss any of the secondary targets that didnt make it out in time. I would go outside in the snow in barefeet and underwear if I had to, but would I leave the house without my kids... I dont think I could.

• Buy a fire ladder
                      • Backup Photos
                      • Buy a bigger Fire Safe
                      • Practice Fire Drills

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Too bad Led, I thought you were a genius!

Sorry; hate to disappoint!  Still, in the heat of the moment, so to speak, who knows?

zonykel

Second priority: coats, and/or car keys. Dog. Cell phone. Laptop.

If you have to get out of the house because of the fire, then there is no second priority. You may think you have an escape route and time, but fire can spread quickly.

If the fire is small enough (trash can fire), you can try a fire extinguisher. Otherwise, just get out.

Walk-Jogger

I would first make sure my wife was safe then grab at least one of the cats (we have four cats but there's only one I really like). Everything else is replaceable.

+1

Except we have three cats, and I love all three of them, and they would be so deeply hidden if they were scared that I might not be able to find them.  I possibly would suffer a few burns and smoke inhalation from a fire like this . . .

Retired &  Loving It

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

If you have to get out of the house because of the fire, then there is no second priority. You may think you have an escape route and time, but fire can spread quickly.

If the fire is small enough (trash can fire), you can try a fire extinguisher. Otherwise, just get out.

Agreed.  Just get out.

Want to know how much time you have?  Take a look at this video that shows how fast a fire can spread.  Please note the time when the smoke detector in the hallway would be activated and how big the fire is at that point.

Still think you're going to be able to grab something?

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Agreed.  Just get out.

Want to know how much time you have?  Take a look at this video that shows how fast a fire can spread.  Please note the time when the smoke detector in the hallway would be activated and how big the fire is at that point.

Still think you're going to be able to grab something?

I hate to sound contrary and/or foolhardy, but if that fire is in another room when the smoke alarm goes off and the items I want are on my way out, then yes, I'm going to reach out and grab my laptop on my way past.  I'm not going to go toward the fire to get anything, and I'm definitely not going to waste time looking for something, but if the items on my list are within arm's reach of a direct path out, I'm taking them with me.

Again, assuming my arms aren't carrying any unconscious or disabled living things.  In that case, we get out and stay out.

MTA: Thanks for posting that video.  It was pretty informative, and I do have a better understanding of how quickly a fire can spread.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people