Woman Sets World Speed Record on a Bicycle (Read 103 times)

147 MPH on a bike! I'm getting an acetabular impingement just thinking about going that fast.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/woman-sets-world-speed-record-on-bicycle-at-147-mph

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Why the extra wheel?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Why the extra wheel?

I'm not sure. Seems unnecessary, doesn't it?

60:11 gear ratio, and then another 60:11 gear ratio with the 17" tires means 1 revolution of the pedal stroke goes 488 inches (41 feet).

A typical bike with normal gears (ie. 53:11) goes 127 inches (10 1/2 feet) for each pedal stroke revolution.

(the double gear is a multiplier of gear ratios)

Why the extra wheel?

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I'm not sure. Seems unnecessary, doesn't it?

Goals to reach for:

https://recordsetter.com/unicycle-world-records

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            mikeymike

I wonder what Strava estimated her average power at--since it couldn't know about the draft car, right?

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Meh. She was drafting.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now I really want to know what that speed would have been without draft car, assuming 0 wind.  I imagine that bike design would be very different if it weren't built with the intent to draft behind an SUV.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

She was towed up to 90 mph then she accelerated from there behind the draft.  The gear would be too big to pedal without assistance to get up to speed. http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a22837/world-speed-record-riding-a-bicycle-147-mph/

#artbydmcbride

No hidden motor in the frame?

Runners run

She was towed up to 90 mph then she accelerated from there behind the draft.  The gear would be too big to pedal without assistance to get up to speed. http://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a22837/world-speed-record-riding-a-bicycle-147-mph/

She this just ruined it for me. I was willing to let the drafting issue go, but even my fat ass can go 90 mph on a bike if an SUV is towing me.

No hidden motor in the frame?

No apparently, the motor was hidden in the SUV.

jfa

I'm not a cyclist, nor a mathematician.

But she did make her legs make that bike go from 90mph to 147mph.

Draft or no draft, that takes guts.

I don't think I have the guts to go 147mph in a car.

Marylander

I'm not a cyclist, nor a mathematician.

But she did make her legs make that bike go from 90mph to 147mph.

Draft or no draft, that takes guts.

I don't think I have the guts to go 147mph in a car.

Yeah, I've been up to about 150 mph on a motorcycle (on a road course/track, mid-ohio) and, while exhilarating, I didn't find it to be the most comfortable thing particularly since it ended in a sharp turn. The head angle must make this thing really tough to turn but, of course, they're just wanting stability in a straight line. I would've thought bigger wheels would be more stable though...