What's your coldest run ever? (Read 169 times)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I am sure some of you up north have run in some stupid temps before but I took advantage of the current polar vortex to set a PR for coldest run. I did 4.5 miles this morning at 5°F with a dusting of snow. My previous low was only 20°. The snow was so cold that it just crunched with every step so I was surprised at the good traction I got with my trail shoes. The only problem I had was my sunglasses kept fogging up from my breath. All of this was still 10 times better than running on the treadmill...

What are some of your coldest runs and why did you decide to venture out? I was a bit bored today and we rarely get temps in the single digits so why not? I did have a lot of people driving at a snail's pace staring at me like "WTF is that guy doing???"

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

-14F on a sunny, dead-wind day.  Was beautiful other than my bluf froze to my beard. 8 or 10miles.

No bad weather.  Just bad clothing.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

sumthin' below 0 Fahrenheit at 10,000' in Co in the winter. Wore my snowboarding pants and jacket and was still cold. That was shortly before I discovered the treadmills in the Breckenridge community center.

Regular running gear, in layers, probably  10-15 degrees.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Marky_Mark_17

-12C / +10F when we were on holiday in Sun Peaks, BC.  Think there was a wind chill that took it a little colder than that too.

It doesn't get below freezing where I live in New Zealand, and even in colder parts of NZ when I've been travelling, it's normally only just below freezing overnight in winter.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Actual temp, probably -10º. Windchill...IIRC I've done at least a mile or two in -20º "feels like"...but that was over a decade ago. I have a treadmill, now! Tongue The trick with super cold temps is being able to see while wearing a balaclava or scarf. I never could get glasses to not fog-up badly, even using coatings like Cat Crap™.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

-14F on a sunny, dead-wind day.

It's amazing how tolerable that is. Sun and no wind isn't so bad. I grew up with a lot of days like that and didn't loathe Winter nearly so much as I do where it's "warmer," but overcast (haven't seen any sun at all since Nov.) and we get a crap-ton more snow.

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

Upper single digits. It's very rare that highs are below freezing in MD and anything in the single digits to teens gets all sorts of cold warnings. Wind chill, definitely below 0 a few times. I'd much rather run in single digits with sun and no wind. It's not terrible. Cold and wind is.

Right now the media is getting excited that this will quite possibly be the coldest Ravens game ever (not sure if there were colder Colts games, those do not get mixed together). They also tried to tell folks not to drink at the game tomorrow.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

For base temp, I think it was probably -38*C (-36*F) or -39*C (-38*F).

Windchill, coldest is -46*C (-51*F) or -48*C (-54*F).  That was probably only a mile or so just to say I'd done it.

The thing about running in extreme cold is that you have to respect the cold and make smart choices because you can get in trouble quickly.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Yesterday was 4 miles at -15 deg F, but my record coldest run was 5 miles at -30 deg F.  Ice and frost on the outside, warm on the inside because properly dressed for the weather.

My avatar photo is after 11.5 miles at -10 deg F.  I had more frost and ice after 11.5 miles at -20 deg F, but it melted before I could find my camera.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not wrong...

~ Sarah Kay

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

-15°C / 5 F in the dark on freshly fallen snow and not a soul around. Just great.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Half Crazy K 2.0

So many red splotches after running in 12, feels like -2.

The Maryland version of the Midwestern lifestyle is Stringer Bell's 40 degree days scene from The Wire. Don't watch if cursing offends.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Today! 14f at start, 16f at finish. 11mph steady wind. Humidity 38%.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                            5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Altair5

Runs in the rain

January 5th, 2018 I did 2.2 miles in 1 degree F, my only claim to being in the More Miles Than Degrees club! Rare that I brave temperatures below 16F, but many winter runs are in the cold teens.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

GinnyinPA

It doesn't usually get sub-zero here in southern PA, except wind chill temps. at night occasionally. This week has been unusually cold. I haven't run outside the past few days because of ice on the streets and 20+ mph winds. In the past, my coldest actual temperature was 16 feels like 19F, coldest feels like was 21 feels like 1 degree thanks to 18 mph winds. IIRC, that was a 16 miler. I'm not likely to ever do more miles than degrees, unless you count feels like temps.