Camelbaks have a limitation (Read 834 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really cold temps. Actually, today wasn't even that cold (just above 20º F), but the Gatorade in the tube kept freezing. And I put it in room temp (diluted to half strength with some tap water). BTW, I have about had my fill of running in snow (and we haven't even had all that much, this year). Today was kind of like trying to run on a satin comforter with satin-covered shoes. My /mile time was about a minute-and-a-half slower than normal and I'm having some painful lower legs, again (and ran into tight, painful calves and numb feet--chronic compartment syndrome, I think). k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

You gotta get one of those tube insulators. They do a pretty good job of handling that issue.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You gotta get one of those tube insulators. They do a pretty good job of handling that issue.
        I didn't even know there was such a thing. Would I still be able to clip the excess tubing into those little plastic thingies on the belt area of my CB (I have one of the waist models)? k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I think so. It's really just a neoprene tube that fits over the regular drinking tube.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I will have to look into that. I know that if I buy it we won't have any more cold weather. On Thurs. backroadrunner and I were in a little running store and I *almost* grabbed a pair of Yak Trax...but I didn't and we have had ample snow for the past few days. I know that if I had bought them that we'd have blue skies and warmish temps--'cause that's just how Murphy's Law works! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Know what you mean. But an added bonus......In summer, it will help keep the drink in the tube cold. Another option, and this may or may not work for you......When done drinking, blow into the tube to help empty it.
              mikeymike

On the other hand how much do you really need water on a 97 minute run in cold temps? I ran for about that long yesterday too (in about those temps actually) with nothing. I used to have one of those insulators Scout is talking aobut when I would go for 3 hour mountain bike rides in cold weather. They do work pretty well. I've never run with a cammelback though.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

how much do you really need water on a 97 minute run in cold temps?
                  My thoughts exactly. Beat me to the punch...
                  Scout7

On the other hand how much do you really need water on a 97 minute run in cold temps? I ran for about that long yesterday too (in about those temps actually) with nothing.
                    Training run, I can get by with nothing. Race, I drink. Although, that's water / drink on the course, I don't take my own. What if it were something other than water? Like beer.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was planning to run longer than 97 minutes, but the road conditions had me change my mind and shorten a bit earlier. Plus I still sweat a lot when it's cold. I'm not uncomfortably hot, but my clothes are pretty soaked by the time I return. With the air as dry as it is I tend to need more fluids than I think I do, so better to play safe, right? k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

On the other hand how much do you really need water on a 97 minute run in cold temps? I ran for about that long yesterday too (in about those temps actually) with nothing
                        That's what I was thinking....since the cold weather started, I barely drink any water on my 10-mile runs. I think I drank about 5 ozs the last time. I don't even bother to carry water anymore on runs less than 10 miles.

Derek

mikeymike

I've never carried water on a run. Well, that's not true--some long trail runs I did out in California I carried a bottle with a hand grip. But never on a road run.

Runners run

still alive

I also r un in very dry conditions. Even at -10°F I sweat and it evaporates quickly. Everyone is different. It is easier for a smaller person to become dehydrated quickly as their total body fluid volume is less than, say, us bigger guys. I wouldn't judge people who need to drink even on shorter runs. If I'm running less than 1.5 hours, I usually don't take water, but I certainly need it during a 20 mile training run. Around here there's no public water to be had as all the parks have their fountains shut off. I usually carry a liter bottle with a strap by hand.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Now that was a bath...

Sometimes I am not thirsty but my mouth is really dry and I need to at the very least swill water around my mouth and soak my lips. This means that I take fluids with me on any run longer than 6 miles in the summer because I cannot bear having a dry mouth and trying to breathe hard. I think sometimes my bottle is like a security blanket. I often don't use it but I really like having it there in case I suddenly get a dry mouth or get really thirsty. No harm in that I think. Claire xxx
                            • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                            • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                                In the winter I run the tubing under my clothes and the end feeds up through the neck area. Also I found if after taking a drink I blow into the tube forcing any liquid in the line back into the bladder. This is also effective in the summer so you don:t get a mouthfull of hot liquid.
                                WHO FARTLEK"D ?