Personal Records - reset? (Read 91 times)

AerisAmethyst

Is there a way to "reset" personal records so I can start from scratch? I'd like to start fresh since I have no hope of ever topping any of my old times - I'm much slower these days.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Try labeling them as something OTHER than a race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

an amazing likeness

You can edit the workouts which currently are your PR, and select the "Exclude from PR" check box to have them not be considered as possible PR workouts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AerisAmethyst

The issue with that is I currently have 91 entries marked "Race" in my training log so I'd have to manually update them all 1 by 1. I was hoping there was an easier way to either reset it or do it in bulk.

an amazing likeness

Seems like Running Problem's suggestion might work...go into your log options and rename your race activity to something like 'Old Race' and then make a new Race activity.  I haven't tested it to know it will work.

AerisAmethyst

Just tried that and didn't work, unfortunately. I renamed it to "Old Races" and it allowed me to, but then I couldn't create a new one called "Race" because it said it already existed, and the PRs are still pulled from the one called "Old Races".

an amazing likeness

Yeah...generally can't muck with the default activities (run, walk bike, swim), so understandable.

Running Problem

Problem Child

You can edit the workouts which currently are your PR, and select the "Exclude from PR" check box to have them not be considered as possible PR workouts.

This works.

go to personal records.

click on one and go to edit entry.

find the box marked “exclude from PR.”

it stops showing up in your personal records. I just removed my shitty Chicago marathon time since it isn’t a personal record anymore.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AerisAmethyst

It works but it still requires me to manually go through all 91 races, since if I exclude one then the next best one becomes the new PR, etc. I am doing that now but it's painstaking to do it 1 by 1.

kcam

Exactly right.  It's not a solution unless you rarely race or don't mind 'excluding' hundreds of races.  I have raced probably an average of 30 to 40 races a year over the last 15 years.  I'd like to see a function like this added.  Say, show PRs by Age Group or be able to exclude dates you specify or some such thing.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This is an ongoing problem with fixed time races. Every race, unless checked to not include in PRs, will be listed because each race will have a different mileage total,  and thus will be a PR for that distance.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

This is an ongoing problem with fixed time races. Every race, unless checked to not include in PRs, will be listed because each race will have a different mileage total,  and thus will be a PR for that distance.

That is exactly why the 'exclude from PR' check box exists. The most common use case, by far, is that runners run the common race distances and their PR list is only those.

kcam

That is exactly why the 'exclude from PR' check box exists. The most common use case, by far, is that runners run the common race distances and their PR list is only those.

I never use the distance from my Garmin unless I know for sure if it was long or short (in that case I leave the distance as reported by GPS and 'exclude' it from PRs).  If I run a '5K' road race I edit the distance from whatever the GPS reports to "5K".  Same for all standard distances.  That is how I avoid having multitudes of race distances that make no sense.  I'd still like to see my Mile, 5K, 10K, 10Mile etc PRs by age group.  Especially the one I'm in now rather than what I ran 15 years ago.

an amazing likeness

I never use the distance from my Garmin unless I know for sure if it was long or short (in that case I leave the distance as reported by GPS and 'exclude' it from PRs).  If I run a '5K' road race I edit the distance from whatever the GPS reports to "5K".  Same for all standard distances.  That is how I avoid having multitudes of race distances that make no sense.  I'd still like to see my Mile, 5K, 10K, 10Mile etc PRs by age group.  Especially the one I'm in now rather than what I ran 15 years ago.

I don't have any specific data on the split between various approaches...but I'd speculate, based on what I see in various users' logs, that the more common approach is to log the race at the listed race distance and time from the results and let the gps distance time be recorded in the map.

Like you do with your marathon PR.

If you look at a bunch of folks' logs here you'll see both approaches...some have a 10K PR and others have 10K PR, 10.3K PR, 9.6K PR, etc, etc. I'm defending or advocating, just observing.

fwiw

HermosaBoy

I'd still like to see my Mile, 5K, 10K, 10Mile etc PRs by age group.  Especially the one I'm in now rather than what I ran 15 years ago.

I have been asking for some time to get a field added for Age Grade which would also help with this. Then you could sort by that to compare results across age groups.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob