Hello All - Introduction (Read 700 times)

Did not see an introduction area, so decide post here as Introduction. I am a new runner errr jogger, and have been at it since July of 2007. I succesfully have completed the C25K program and ran my fist 5k in September of 2007, albeit not in world record time, but I will get there, LOL. My overall goal is to loose weight and not embarass myself to much, but eventually I would like to post some pretty respectable times. Currently my race pace is about 11:10/mile for a 5K, my eventual goal is sub 8 Minutes, I know that time and miles are my recipe to get there. I am using HH 5k Intermediate plan, and am trying to get my MPW up from 13 to around 30. I am sure I will eventually catch the HM or Marathon Bug, but I am happy just seeing improvement each week. I am sure I will have questions in the future though. So from Grand Blanc, Michigan I am giving a hearty Hello!! John

Lazy idiot

John, welcome to RA! I hope you find the log to your liking, and the people here (the characters and otherwise) helpful. Drew

Tick tock

Welcome. there are lots of knowledgeable people kicking around here..... you'll enjoy. Jason
        Ringmaster

Hi, John! We're glad to have you. I, too, started running in the summer of 2007, and it's amazing how fast you catch the bug, isn't it? Stay warm up there in Grand Blanc, and welcome to RA! Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Hi John. We've got a hardy bunch of Michiganders here, they're quite an interesting crew. They tend to congregate on dead threads and hijack them for their own purposes. Like this one, Er...nothing to see here In the immortal words of rvelich:
            A this-is-about-nothing-thread-jackin' joyride. Not much else to do in Michigan in the winter unless you have $$ for skiing or snowmobiling. Or, training for a marathon in the snow and sub-zero temps. Big grin

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Outside Lane

Welcome - congrats on your first 5K. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

See how they run...

Thanks All, I do question my passion for running...after all who would run a 4 mile race at 25ºF in 20mphr wind.....hmmm....I should be looking for a thread to jack..LOL

A Saucy Wench

Welcome!!!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Lisa3.1

Hi, Congrats, and Welcome.
                    C-R

Glad to have you on the board. This is a great place to learn and talk about running. Shocked May the schwartz be with you.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Another Michigander joins the ranks. Welcome aboard. I'll be visiting your neck of the woods to run the Crim this summer, I hear it's quite a challenge. Tom

Member Since 2008

John, Welcome, I do not know your age, however, I wish when I started out that someone had given me this advise: Do not concentrate on the speed, built a good base (put in miles) and stay away from speed workouts. With distance, speed will come naturally. I got into speed work and am now having hip problems and am lucky if I can get a mile in without extreme pain. Take your time, and enjoy running, there are people out there who can't and it SUCKS!!!!!. Just my 2 cents!
                            Welcome, John!!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Thanks, Advice noted. My good friend at work, who is also a gifted runner, has been helping me get my training straight. I am currently in week 2 of Hal Higdons Intermediate 5k Plan to try and get my miles up. Being an ex-smoker (1.5 years and counting) and 36 years old, I am finding my cardio vascular system isn't the best in the world, but i am seeing improvement in my heart rate as i go thru my runs. My current plan is: Monday - Rest Tuesday - 3 miles easy (for me is an 13:20 pace) Wednesday - 3 mile Tempo run (tempo for me is 11:00 pace) Thrusday - 3 mile easy Friday - Rest Saturday - 3-4 miles easy Sunday - 5-6 miles easy John

Another Passion

Being an ex-smoker (1.5 years and counting) and 36 years old, I am finding my cardio vascular system isn't the best in the world, but i am seeing improvement in my heart rate as i go thru my runs. My current plan is: Monday - Rest Tuesday - 3 miles easy (for me is an 13:20 pace) Wednesday - 3 mile Tempo run (tempo for me is 11:00 pace) Thrusday - 3 mile easy Friday - Rest Saturday - 3-4 miles easy Sunday - 5-6 miles easy John
                                Welcome, John. Another Michigander here, down in Monroe County just north of Toledo, OH. Also, a former smoker having quit in 2002 after 17 years of puffing, and inhaling - unlike our former President Clinton. I am currently training for my first marathon next month after having seriously started running a little over two years ago. This site and the many wonderful people part of it and its community were a large part of the inspiration for me to set my sights on the 26.2 goal. Good luck in your running and you've found a great place to hang out for inspiration and help in that endeavor.

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com