2022 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

FSBD

In 2019 my bus stopped and sat on I-90 in a whole row of buses because they didn't want to drop more people off in the village in the middle of a thunderstorm.  
    I loved the weather in 2015.  That is my kind of racing weather, I honestly didn't even mind 2018 as much as most people.  Cold and rain are fine for running.  It is the heat that sucks for me.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

It is the heat that sucks for me.

Amen. And for me, 60 degrees at any point in the race and I melt. A previous post talked about ideal temps. Mine run bit lower than the numbers mentioned there. I looked back and for my 3 fastest marathons, starting temps were 39, 41, and 40.

Dave

xhristopher

It is the heat that sucks for me.

I’d say that’s an understatement.

delicate flower

All checked in.  I got to the expo at noon and the line to get in was outside around the block to the back of the building.  I was figuring it'd take an hour but it went fast and I was through in 15 minutes.  The official merchandise area was absolutely bonkers but folks were mostly very friendly.  I think everyone was just very happy to be there.  I bought some stuff and that line took an hour to get through. The rest of the expo wasn't nearly as packed.

I was out my front door and back in eight hours.  I drove to the Riverside station and took the train in ($6 to park, $2.40 to ride the train round trip).  Six hours of travel time, two hours in the expo.  Mass Pike traffic was a mess coming home.  Kind of a long day but it's worth it to save on the hotel expense, sleep in my own bed, and make my own meals.

#coolstorybro

<3

I look my best blurry!

This wannabe is here again!  Hi y’all.  #10!  Blows my mind!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck Boston runners!  I just listened to this week's Running Rogue podcast about Boston.  Some very interesting stats taken from 2015-17.  Only 4% of all runners get a negative split, and that was skewed up by 2015 which was apparently a good weather year (so sounds relevant for this year).  81% positive split by 5 mins or more!  Crazy numbers.  I guess it makes sense with downhills early and Newton in the second half but it sounds like conservative is the way to go.

It's on live at 1:30am Tuesday morning here, so I'll be watching delayed at a far more civilised time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

an amazing likeness

This wannabe is here again!  Hi y’all.  #10!  Blows my mind!

Oh my, long lost wannabe is in the house!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julia1971

Good luck Boston runners!  I just listened to this week's Running Rogue podcast about Boston.  Some very interesting stats taken from 2015-17.  Only 4% of all runners get a negative split, and that was skewed up by 2015 which was apparently a good weather year (so sounds relevant for this year).  81% positive split by 5 mins or more!  Crazy numbers.  I guess it makes sense with downhills early and Newton in the second half but it sounds like conservative is the way to go.

It's on live at 1:30am Tuesday morning here, so I'll be watching delayed at a far more civilised time.

Yes, this is consistently true.  I've shared this tweet from Dave McGillivray from 2019 in my race report from last year - I gave up on my goal time at the half knowing the odds of negative splitting...  I find it interesting, though, that most seem to think that means one should run conservatively.  I tend to think it means it really doesn't matter either way.  Smile

I'm on travel and will be sightseeing during the race.  I hope I can catch a recording somehow...

FSBD

I’d say that’s an understatement.

Jeez.  You end up in the ER one time and you never live it down.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I'm running Boston this year and for the first time I'm closer to Hopkinton than Boston -- I know some people on here are locals and I'm wondering if anyone has experience being dropped off in Hopkinton (at 52 state st or the state park) as opposed to taking the shuttle busses from the common? Specifically what time would you recommend arriving in Hopkinton to make sure we get to the wave 1 start on time? Any experience with how bad traffic is on race day coming from rt. 2/495? I should have asked at the expo but I kind of just forgot how much bigger and logistically complex this race is than all of the other races I do.

Hope everyone has a good race! Weather is looking amazing!

an amazing likeness

Sending good luck to all running tomorrow; best wishes that you run strong and enjoy the event...before, during & after -- you've earned it!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julia1971

Have a great race everyone! An on-ship passenger medical emergencySad delayed our arrival in port so I should be able to watch the race assuming I can figure out the streaming! Smile

littleGizmo

Good luck marathon runners I think its amazing what you can do.  I am going try a marathon next year in 6 hours or less, 4mph pace. I dont care how slow I run just as long as I can finish

Good luck everyone! Go get it!

Dave

jeffimandi

spam