How long does it take you to warm up? (Read 571 times)

Jayedw31

My first 1/4mi is usually terrible but it seems to get better and I feel great around 3/4-1mi. So far I have been running mostly 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week. Today is the first time in a while I did four, felt great. My problem is this, my reason for getting back into running after slacking off for a while is my annual PT test (Air Force). It seems like it takes me about a mile to fully warm up but the test is only 1.5mi.

It's not really a problem, I passed the test and am continuing to increase my endurance which has the added benefit of increasing my speed. It just had me thinking - for those of you that run more than just a couple miles a day how long does it take you to warm up?

I think this is very personal, but for me, the better shape I'm in, the more of a warm up I need. And, the more important it becomes to do multiple bouts of fast running. In the morning, it might take 3 to 4 miles to be ready for a quality effort.  In the evening it's not as much because I've had all day for my body to wake up.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 miles, give or take a half mile, generally.  On a really good day I find my groove ~1 mile in.  On a "bad" day it could take 3.  And then there are those wretched runs where every step feels awkward and stiff and sore and heavy.  I hate those days.  Fortunately they are few and far between.  When I have more than a couple of those in a row I will often take a day off.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Minimum of two miles, including some strides.   Pretty much however long it takes for me to work out a nice big dump.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zonykel

I typically take the first mile as warm up. But even after starting a long run, I don't feel like I'm grooving until 3-4 miles into it. That comfort zone will last for the majority of the run. I start feeling discomfort once I get past the 2-hour mark (maybe because I deliberately do not ingest carbs during the run or maybe some other reason).

I do not hit my stride and warm up until ~5-6 miles.  Seems the 'gears change' and all is right with the world.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I knew I'd jinx myself posting in this thread...just ran >10k and never did feel warmed-up. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I do 1.5 mile warm up. I get to the start line <2 minutes before the start of 10K or less.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

It usually takes me 2-3 miles to get the kinks out. After about 5-6 miles my mind usually reaches this calm meditative state where I feel like I could keep running forever.

Resident Historian

Before a race, at least 3 miles, including some dynamic stretching, building to some race pace sections 10 minutes before.

For a regular run, probably 2 miles before I know how I'm gonna feel.  When doing higher mileage, sometimes 4 miles to hit pace.

Before speed intervals, at least two miles of easy running and stretches.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Minimum of two miles, including some strides.   Pretty much however long it takes for me to work out a nice big dump.

This. Most days.

Get off my porch

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

For a training run, probably a good 3 miles...for a race, how long of a warm-up depends on the distance, but I always like to do strides so that my legs are already warmed up by start time.

Hoban-Jay

13.673492 Seconds...give or take a bit...

< .50 mile

probably 20 min or so, and if I'm doing something hard, I might do better after 45-60min. Maybe there's a reason I like long runs. Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog