1st Marathon and your Marathon PR? (Read 357 times)

an amazing likeness

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Wing

Joggaholic

First marathon training run: ~4:32 Nov 2011

First marathon time: 4:07:43 Feb 2012

2nd marathon time (PR): 3:59:05 Oct 2012

I think I'm in shape to shoot for < 3:30 now, although I also think I am delusional...

Why is it sideways?

2:50

2:35

2:35:13

joescott

Nice.  Very nice.  Not even some of the very best guys on here can say 2:35 as their first.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

3:46:59**1994*** 39***probably ITB  injure. No clue at the time.

3:37:38**2011***56

Finally go see a doctor . Let the knee I twisted over 2 years ago heal. Will probably be over 60.Time is not on my side.

Goal <3:30.

PS: To go <3:30 at 60+ I would need to go 25 minutes under BQ time. The dream is on life support and waiting for someone to flip the switch.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

4:31

3:18

First:  4:13

PR (following year): 3:51

Intentionally Blank

4:25 April 2009

3:47 November 2009

How do you guys find the dedication to run so much? I am under 50 mpw and I have already felt too much. It seems like my whole life just running after work. I think I will just run one marathon.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

bhearn

It gets easier. Training for my first marathon just about killed me.

Feeling the growl again

How do you guys find the dedication to run so much? I am under 50 mpw and I have already felt too much. It seems like my whole life just running after work. I think I will just run one marathon.

There are a lot of variables.  When I was clicking out 100-120mpw every week I was in grad school and dating my future wife.  I had a lot of flexibility even though I was very busy.  Once I had a real job, things got a lot harder.  Enter kids, a house, and property...things got a lot harder.

A lot of it is a mindset.  With a treadmill, if injuries are not an impediment (that's asking a lot lately) only the busiest of work schedules make 80-90mpw impossible unless it is just mental weakness on my part to get it done*.  It has to be something on the schedule that is not negotiable to get done.  I remember when I drove 3 hours to interview with my current company...halfway home I stopped in a city I knew had good street lighting, changed in a fast food restaurant, did a 15-miler starting at 10pm, then finished the drive home.

*with young kids, it I did not have a treadmill in my house the reasonable weekly mileage would be much lower.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

3:12

2:58

After 80+ marathons. Yeah, I've improved a whole 14 minutes.

3:18 (1998)

2:54 (2010)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

4:07 (October 13, 2012)

3:56 (November 19, 2012)

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

First marathon training run: ~4:32 Nov 2011

First marathon time: 4:07:43 Feb 2012

2nd marathon time (PR): 3:59:05 Oct 2012

I think I'm in shape to shoot for < 3:30 now, although I also think I am delusional...

Most marathon aspirants are.