8K to Marathon question (Read 411 times)

zzz

I have a question... I am planning on running our Shamrock Marathon in VA Beach in March. My husband would like to run the Shamrock 8K the day before. This will be his first run and wanted me to run it with him. Is that a good idea to do an easy 5 miles the day before my first marathon? Thanks Smile
      From your log and signature I'm assuming this is your first marathon. If it is and your log is accurate, I would say it is WAY WAY too early for you to be worried about this. Can you? Sure. Should you? Maybe, maybe not. If I were you, I would focus on getting my miles up before starting my marathon training plan. After you are halfway or more done with that - then decide.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

protoplasm72

That is a long way off. See how the training goes and decide the week before.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Assuming that you complete your training and are ready to toe the line at the Shamrock Marathon.... Many marathoners like a short, easy run the day before a marathon, although it's usually more like about 2-4 miles. I think that a 5-mile run wouldn't be too much of a stretch as long as the pace is truly easy, you have been diligent about carb-loading during the week leading up to the races, and you take extra care to top off your glycogen (carb) stores during the rest of the day after the 8k. It would largely depend on how "easy" your husband's 8k pace would be for you. If you think you want to try it, then prepare for it by scheduling a few easy miles the day before your long runs so that your body becomes accustomed to consecutive short-long days. That will also allow you to practice management of glycogen stores.
          zzz

Smile hey y'all thanks for the replies.... i am just a very very beginner runner again after taking a year off but even then my only "race" was the Shamrock 8K.... I sure hope I am ready to toe the line next March.... and yes the run is LOOONNGG way off and this is assuming DH really decides to train for it and run. Have a great Sunday!!