New York Times food article (Read 4530 times)

mikeymike

Not a huge asparagus fan either, but I love it grilled. Just spash some olive oil on there and throw it on the grill next to a nice piece of salmon. mmmm. Maybe not tonight--it's a bit cold out to be standing on the deck grilling--but when it gets warmer and you can hang out on the deck with a nice beer and watch your food cook.

Runners run

Based on what? I disagree. So does Pollan, above. Synthetic isolates from natural sources are not foods. Natural proteins are foods. Reading the article above, you get the sense that consuming isolates, isolated from their natural foods, you may actually introduce harm and increase the risk of diseases. By trying to eat healthy through manufactured food-stuffs (which are not really foods) you may actually be eating unhealthily. That said, you still have fabulous abs. Wink
      I'm talking on a purely BB standpoint. I have a protein shake after everyworkout and the Isolate is going to have more "pure" protein in it then the protein blend. Now as far as every day eating I'm all into whole foods. BTW I consider the Protein shake a supplement. I'm a big fan of turkey, chicken fish (not much of a red meat fan)and all the fresh veggies and fruit one can eat in a day. Oh Asparagus is my ABSOLUTE most favorite veggie ( other than sweet potato) Oh and thanks I made them myself Wink

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm talking on a purely BB standpoint. I have a protein shake after everyworkout and the Isolate is going to have more "pure" protein in it then the protein blend. Now as far as every day eating I'm all into whole foods. BTW I consider the Protein shake a supplement. I'm a big fan of turkey, chicken fish (not much of a red meat fan)and all the fresh veggies and fruit one can eat in a day. Oh Asparagus is my ABSOLUTE most favorite veggie ( other than sweet potato) Oh and thanks I made them myself Wink
        Big grin I love asparagus and (Jake, pay attention) Broccccolllli too.
          JK: I will check out Pubix I mean Publix. You are right - it is funny. Even if I live close to Trent's day job and hence it is a trek. But maybe I will just happen to be out in that area anyway sometime soon. And I love all your nick-names! One of my favorites was "Abbawhale" in college. If you meet me, you would find it even funnier. Cool Maybe if I am really lucky you will photoshop me someday!
          Ummm. Farmer's Market is open dusk til dawn 7 days a week. That includes Sundays. Yes. Even in Nashville. And they tend to have som many baskets of in-season produce that it is even good at dusk.
          Again, you are right. (I swear they werent open Sundays when I moved here!) Though they still close early (6 PM) if you like to shop around 9 or so at night.
          Harris Teeter had bad produce yesterday. Weird. First time I have ever seen that. Really weird. Normally they have at least 10 different apples and they are good...HT had bad pears last night too, but usually has 4-5 different pears. They also have great fish.
          We must go to differnet HTs - yesterday was pretty much what I am used to. The one I go to rarely has more than a couple types of good looking apples on any given day. Usually I can find decent pears, but I didnt even see any bad ones yesterday. The only fish I buy at HT is the frozen wild Alaskan salmon - not great, but seems like the best I can find. Again, maybe time of day is the issue. Oh, and I only eat tuna and (wild) salmon and salmon and tuna (or halibut if my dad tempuras it!) so that doesnt help either.
          Wild Oats and Whole Foods fish is like their produce. Overpriced and underflavored. Pretty to look at, but tastes like a plastic food display.
          I still contend that the Whole Foods in DC are great. Their fish is usually really good (the fish guy will always tell us what is fresh and what we should avoid) and their produce is similarly priced in DC (where stuff tends to cost more at least before you add in TNs regressive food tax) to the stuff I find here in HT and Kroger.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nearly all fish purchased inland these days is flash-frozen on the boat immediately after being caught. The boats are out for several days or weeks. That sushi grade salmon or tuna, tilapia, sea bass, cod, basa, etc, are all fileted and frozen within a few minutes of coming out of the water. When you buy it at the store, it may be days or weeks old, but it is very fesh nonetheless. Harris Teeter operates this way. You are right, the HT on Blair and 21st is smaller and may have a more limited selection. I go to the one near the JCC; it is huge with lots of choices. There will soon be an HT and a Pubix at the cornter of Harding and White Bridge Road, near the Kroger and Bookstar. If you are worried about time of day, they will usually sell you some still-frozen fish that you can thaw at your convenience. At K&S, by contrast, they have freshly caught whole and live fish. You can touch, smell, feel the fish to make sure you think it is fresh enough (most of it is) or you can point to a tilapia or snapper swimming around in the tank and they will catch it, filet it and sell it to you. Make sure to keep the bones too, they make great stock!
              Nearly all fish purchased inland these days is flash-frozen on the boat immediately after being caught. The boats are out for several days or weeks. That sushi grade salmon or tuna, tilapia, sea bass, cod, basa, etc, are all fileted and frozen within a few minutes of coming out of the water. When you buy it at the store, it may be days or weeks old, but it is very fesh nonetheless. Harris Teeter operates this way. You are right, the HT on Blair and 21st is smaller and may have a more limited selection. I go to the one near the JCC; it is huge with lots of choices. There will soon be an HT and a Pubix at the cornter of Harding and White Bridge Road, near the Kroger and Bookstar. If you are worried about time of day, they will usually sell you some still-frozen fish that you can thaw at your convenience. At K&S, by contrast, they have freshly caught whole and live fish. You can touch, smell, feel the fish to make sure you think it is fresh enough (most of it is) or you can point to a tilapia or snapper swimming around in the tank and they will catch it, filet it and sell it to you. Make sure to keep the bones too, they make great stock!
              So my problem is I am lazy and dont like driving more than 5 mins. Cool Trent - you clearly eat more fish more often than I do. (When my dad was cooking I would have fish at least 2-3 times a week. Now a days, once a month is a lot.) And are much less squeemish about seeing your dinner swimming! While I know all the fish I eat is flash-frozen, I prefer if it has not been sitting on ice in the store for longer than necessary. I was walking around HT yesterday (I heard I had to stay active and go for walks, right?) and did find some frozen hekshered fish that looks new to HT. I wonder what that will taste like. So yeah for new products or for finding things and thinking they are new. Shy
                hm, i saw this thread after the article trent intially posted was linked to in another thread. here is my mother's yogurt recipe, copied/pasted directly from an email she sent me in 1999 when i was homesick for her yogurt. i am going to leave it intact b/c i loved how she spoke and talked (english was not her first language) and the misspellings etc remind me of her-- just note that when she calls for a "ladder," she meant a "ladle" (she WAS short, but that was more a function of her prononciation & spelling, haha!). also, she grew up in vietnam where fresh dairy milk was ...pretty much impossible to come by for most people. hence the canned/condensed milk. the results are still tangy and not at all as sweet as sweet as you might expect. just slightly sweeter than store-bought "plain" yogurt. This is the yogurt receipt: 1 can of condensed milk 1.5 can hot, boiled water 1.5 can cool water 8 oz plain yogurt You need: a large bowl a whisk 8 or 10 small glass jars/plastic cups with lids a ladder a spoon to scoop the yogurt/ to skim bubles Have the oven lightly warmed ------------- Get jars or cups ready. Pour the milk into the bowl. Fill the same can with boiled water (it is very hot so I fill half can three times so I can hold the top of the can). With the spoon, disolve the milk comletely before add the cool water. Now the milk is nice and warm. Use the spoon to scoop the plain yogurt into the milk then with the whisk, slowly blending it well together. Use the ladder to fill yogurt into the jars/cups. Skim off the bubles that float on the surface. Place them in the lightly warm oven for 3 hours turn oven off and leave it there for 5 hours. Check to make sure it firmed then transfer to the refrigerator. Please let me know the results. Thanks! (when she moved to california and no longer needed baseboard heating for half the year, she was bummed b/c she wasn't making her yogurt as much. i got her a little donvier machine from williams-sonoma-- our family just could never be our family w/o homemade yogurt!) (also, and not to be a *total* downer, but i noticed that this thread was initially posted on 1/29/2007-- she lost her battle w/ cancer that day. her recipes live on, however!)
                  (also, and not to be a *total* downer, but i noticed that this thread was initially posted on 1/29/2007-- she lost her battle w/ cancer that day. her recipes live on, however!)
                  life is full of strange coincidences at times - sorry about your mom, littlem, and thanks for posting the recipe do you know about the A to Z Recipes group?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

i didn't know about it! but i just joined-- thanks!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A fine yogurt recipe, but its complexity may scare off some. Yogurt is among the easiest things to make. All you really do is get the milk warm, let it cool and then add old yogurt. Here is how I do it: Take milk (I prefer unhomogenized whole milk, but any works) Warm to hot to touch (about 180 degrees F) Keep that temp for about an hour. Cool to warm to touch (about 120 degrees F) Add old live culture yogurt (or yogurt from your last batch) Let sit overnight somewhere warm I usually pour mine into those 1 liter glass clamp down jars before letting it sit overnight. I usually warm my oven to 120, then turn it off, then put the jars there for the overnight stage. Sometimes it takes longer than a night. This is plain yogurt. You can then add ANY flavoring you want. Jellies work very well.
                        i love adding honey, just honey! also, for some reason canned wild blueberries packed in water (nothing else added) are so satisfying! and available year-round, which makes me so happy.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

i love adding honey, just honey! also, for some reason canned wild blueberries packed in water (nothing else added) are so satisfying! and available year-round, which makes me so happy.
                          Agreed! I also use this yogurt instead of buttermilk when making buttermilk pancakes. It is 1000000000x better. You just need to add a little extra milk to get it to the right consistency (i.e., 1 1/2 cups buttermilk = ~ 1 cup yogurt + 1 cup milk).
                            sounds easy enough to give it a try, I love yogurt

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

shonan marathon, girl

eat yogurt! lots of fish & veggies. since i live in japan, i eat fish at least 3 or 4 times a week. i also never overeat. stop eating when i am still a little hungry. i have always followed this. more than anything carbs are a very important energy source. the japanese probably have the best eating habits. no wonder they top the longevity lists. the only thing to watchout for is too much salt intake.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

eat yogurt! lots of fish & veggies. since i live in japan, i eat fish at least 3 or 4 times a week. i also never overeat. stop eating when i am still a little hungry. i have always followed this. more than anything carbs are a very important energy source. the japanese probably have the best eating habits. no wonder they top the longevity lists. the only thing to watchout for is too much salt intake.
                                yeah, didn't the okinawans have that 80% rule-of-thumb-- eat til you're about 80% full, and not further? i also agree with you that the traditional japanese diet has always been a pretty healthy one, with the exception of the various pickles (often sweetened w/ saccharine and preserved with who knows what). a lot of the commercially pickled foods i eyeball suspiciously, especially given japan's gastric cancer rates. also:
                                Agreed! I also use this yogurt instead of buttermilk when making buttermilk pancakes. It is 1000000000x better. You just need to add a little extra milk to get it to the right consistency (i.e., 1 1/2 cups buttermilk = ~ 1 cup yogurt + 1 cup milk).
                                ooooh! i'll have to try this! i love buttermilk pancakes (i have a really great, simple recipe i'll have to post from home later), but don't really keep buttermilk stocked at home. yogurt, though, i *always* have!