Gun time vs. Chip time (Read 477 times)

A Saucy Wench

In my running club I am competing with about 300 others racing and getting points based on official AG placing.  This is critical crucial stuff!  This means the difference between getting or NOT getting a construction paper award at the annual Banquet!!   Cool  So you can see why I get worked up if the mats don't function or the results get messed up.  This is life or death important, people!

My running club only lets you get an AG award if you also volunteer.  I got the official 3rd in my AG for the season last year.  I placed 2nd in my AG in ONE race that nobody showed up to in my AG

I think overall I was 23rd in my AG for the season, but I volunteered so I got an engraved plaque.  They make decent coasters.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Julia1971

Because this needs to be beaten to death...  I've done races where the Master's awards were done by gun time but the AGs were done by chip.  I guess it's because Master's is considered an overall award?

Know the rules of the race you are running. Line up and run accordingly.

+1.  And, listen to the pre-race announcements.  RDs will sometimes announce these things.

xhristopher

Double dipping. Fair or not?

Julia1971

I say fair.  But, most races don't seem to allow it.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Double dipping...this is winning 2 awards in the same race (overall/ag)?  If so I vote spread the love...1/person.

**Ask me about streaking**

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How about triple dipping? I ran one race where the overall winner also took home trophies for first male and first in his AG.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I say fair. I don't think I deserve 1st in M20-29 if I came in 12 OA but the only 3 other runners in the M20-29 AG were top 3 OA.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Double dipping? I say fair, even though it meant that I missed out on both Masters money and age group awards at the Detroit Freep Marathon ... we 40-44 year old wimmins are f a s t! Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

Double dipping - fair.

If you're interested in spreading the love around so more people get bling, use the raffle. Awards are for where you finish. It's a race.

In any race I've done, awards, if any, are for top (maybe 3) finishers in men and women. Whoever wins outright is designated that, but no separate award. One race I've done has younger (not sure of age boundaries), open, masters (no 5- or 10-yr AG). Last year, I think I had 3 or 4 (out of 8) races that even acknowledged ages, and one had AG awards, one had masters, and the other two had no age-based awards (ages were posted in the results). BUT you have the satisfaction of knowing what you did (or didn't do).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Double dipping could create some interesting anomolies if gun time is used for OA awards but chip time for AG awards. While farfetched, it would be possible for someone to be 1st OA but not make the top 3 for AG if the top 3 for AG started back in the pack in a large race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

spinach

I ran a marathon in England that had multiple starting times, each half hour from 8:00 to 10:00.  The early times were for walkers or slow runners and the runners were supposed to start at 10:00. No chips but your time was based on when you started.  They didn't record the seconds anyway and so times were only down to the minute. It was a weird race, but it was fun running through the English countryside and I was the first finisher for the 10:00 group and I thought I won the race but it seemed a couple runners who started at 9:00 beat me by a minute.  I was mad that I didn't get a win because a couple guys didn't follow the rules.

xhristopher

How about triple dipping? I ran one race where the overall winner also took home trophies for first male and first in his AG.

How about winning first overall, first woman, first AG, AND first masters?

I bet many of us can think of runners who could do this.

HermosaBoy

I bet many of us can think of runners who could do this.

I did all of those except the WOman part last summer.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xhristopher

I did all of those except the WOman part last summer.

OK, I know you go by hermosaboy. I'm looking at your avatar pic. It's a small pic. So, tell us what that bra is doing over your shirt. Are you sure you weren't trying to trick someone about the WO part?

How about a 50-year-old male winning the race outright ... and taking Overall, Male, M50-54, Masters, and Grandmasters?

Quintuple dippin'!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau