Arch pain from running (Read 50 times)

AbnormalSpring

I think its my Footwear but I am not sure so thought i would check in and see what others thought.

So about half way through my running my left Arch starts to hurt. Just the arch not the heel, calf, shit, or ball of my foot just the arch. At about 3/4 of the way through my run my foot gets the tingling it fell asleep feeling and it stops hurting. At the end of my run when I do my walk to cool down the tingling feeling goes away and there is no pain. Its not a oh wow this hurts I need to stop pain but a well this is annoying pain.

My left foot is a size 12 and my right foot is a size 12 1/2 so I wear 12 1/2 shoes. I find it odd that I do not get the pain in my right foot. I land flat on both feet no heel strike. I wear Saucony Endorphin Shift's the originals not the 2's.

I am wondering if this is possibly foot wear related or if maybe my left arch is weaker then my right. Both my arches collapse while running and I have been working on foot strengthening exercises on the days I don't run. But its my understanding these take along time to notice benefit from.

So could it be footwear? appreciate any and all feedback.

Have you recently started using new shoes?

Either for running, or daily wear?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Your log shows that you are new to running, and that you are trying to lose a lot of weight.  It's not a surprise that your body is complaining.  I had the same arch problem when I was new to running.  I could get temporary relief by stepping on something rounded with my weight on the center of my arch.  The arch pain went away after a couple of years, during which I experimented with various arch supports.

I now use New Balance Motion Control 3210 inserts in my running shoes.  These inserts have a lump under the middle of the arch.  That lump feels uncomfortable at first, but feels good when running.  Link: https://insoles.com/products/new-balance-motion-control-3210-insole-sport-cushion.

Another factor to consider is that your arch length is not necessarily the same as your shoe size.  If your arch length is different from your shoe size, any arch support needs to be sized for the arch length.  The aluminum gadget that shoe salesmen use to measure your feet makes three measurements - length, width, and arch length.  Not many sales people know about the arch length measurement.  My own feet measure size 10.5, but my arch length is size 13.  My foot problems went away after learning this.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

My thought would be it is Plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tendon that runs across the arch from the heel to the toes. The pain is usually where it attaches to the heel, but I think it can occur anywhere along the tendon. My very first marathon I felt a pain in the arch of my right foot and had to take it easy. When I took off my shoe at the end there was a bruise in the arch area. Arch supports are a good idea, but you may also want to consider stretching. Here are instructions from the OrthoInfo page https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/treatments/manipulation/osteopathic/plantar-fasciitis-diagnosis-management:

" Exercise. Plantar fasciitis is aggravated by tight muscles in your feet and calves. Stretching your calves and plantar fascia is the most effective way to relieve the pain that comes with this condition.
          Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch.

Plantar fascia stretch
          This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. If it is difficult to reach your foot, wrap a towel around your big toe to help pull your toes toward you. Place your other hand along the plantar fascia. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot. This exercise is best done in the morning before standing or walking."

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!