Bad advice Re: alleged "warm up angina"? (Read 235 times)

Mysecondnewname

This sounds like bad advice to me.   (I'm a little surprised as I generally think his advice is decent most of the time).

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-to-treat-warm-up-angina

Is there anyone who doesn't feel better after a few warm up miles?  If everyone followed this guy's advice, what a waste that would be.

I guess I should be heading to the doctor.  Or maybe straight to the ER.  Because on an 8 mile run my worst mile is the first and I feel best on miles 4-7.  Particularly in how I breathe.  That first mile is much louder breathing than the later portion of the run.

I don't think my heart rate is high early in the run though.  I haven't worn a monitor in a long time.  Perhaps that is the only thing that could have some merit.  But the HR data for the first mile could be worthless anyway because you may not have good contact to get an accurate signal.

kcam

Hmm. I can't discount what he is saying afterall he is a doctor.

My own experience is that nowadays I am feeling my best from 3 to 4 miles into a run.   I wear a HRM sometimes and went and looked at a few of my Easy 8 mile runs.  My HR sometimes starts very high (poor contact) eyeball-comparing miles 2-4 and miles 4-8 there is generally not a reduction in HR, if anything it goes a little higher as my pace becomes a little quicker as I feel 'warmedup' and the body is running easier.  I don't attribute that to heart function but to musculoskeletal warm up issues.  I guess the good doc is just performing due diligence for this runner.

Is HR downloaded when the log is exported?  Maybe I'll download the data to Excel and try to quantify it some.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Where the heck did the writer say anything about angina?

I read this and not sure if the high HR I usually see during the first mile is due to bad contact or what the doc is describing, I wore a HRM the last two runs, discount the very high readings (mile 8 on Sunday), it's likely interference from power lines   If it is angina resolving automatically after the first mile shouldn't the run get noticeably easier? which in my case does not, it takes a further mile or so before I ease into the run.

Latent Runner

Hmmm, guess I've had "warm up angina" since High School (and that was 40 years ago).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I misread the title of this thread.

That is all.

Where the heck did the writer say anything about angina?

if you count the headline, the word angina appears 5 times.  I'm not sure I understand your question.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I frequently feel better after a couple miles warm up.

However, looking back at my log to some workouts where I wore a heart rate monitor regularly, my average

heart rate was always the lowest in the first mile and then increased with each mile or so not the other way

around.

I think that the Dr. is concerned with the heart rate not how the guy feels in those first miles.

steph  

That is all.

I did as well, I image quite a few people had advice all ready until they realized the mistake.  I just figured a doctor would be above that sort of error.  I guess docs are human as well.

an amazing likeness

Is it bad advice -- well, the letters are probably edited and there may be additional information the author had which we don't have. Second,  advice of "...you know this could be bad...I'd suggest a Dr visit" seems reasonable to me given the suspicion of a chance of it being something other than normal run warmup.

Actually, for the past 6-7 months (started out of the blue last Nov), I've been having this "thing" where after about 1 to 1.5 miles into a routine daily run I get woozy and unsteady on my feet. Been a few times I've actually had to stop and sit down...right now, or else I was going to faint. When this happens, I've noticed my heart rate is slow -- it's like I'm outrunning my heart rate, despite it being an easy jog. If I slow to a shuffle for a few minutes, then it passes.  Hmmm....now I'm rethinking ignoring it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bap

According to my Garmin, on a cold my heart-rate can reach 260 in the first mile and a half, in fact I think it may have reached 420 at one time.

It's not really that high, it just takes a while before you sweat enough to form a bond between the heart-rate strap and your body.

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That is all.

Nobody wants a cold angina.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Mysecondnewname

Is it bad advice -- well, the letters are probably edited and there may be additional information the author had which we don't have. Second,  advice of "...you know this could be bad...I'd suggest a Dr visit" seems reasonable to me given the suspicion of a chance of it being something other than normal run warmup.

Actually, for the past 6-7 months (started out of the blue last Nov), I've been having this "thing" where after about 1 to 1.5 miles into a routine daily run I get woozy and unsteady on my feet. Been a few times I've actually had to stop and sit down...right now, or else I was going to faint. When this happens, I've noticed my heart rate is slow -- it's like I'm outrunning my heart rate, despite it being an easy jog. If I slow to a shuffle for a few minutes, then it passes.  Hmmm....now I'm rethinking ignoring it.

Your near syncopal episodes are concerning.   FWIW, I think it makes a lot more sense for you to seek medical evaluation than for the writer of that letter in the editorial.   I hope you find out what's wrong--Good luck to you!

Feeling the growl again

What the person writing the letter describes sounds like the typical reason we DO a warmup....everybody feels better once their muscles are warmed up and energy systems full engaged to support the exercise.

The doctor writing the reply seems to be over-reacting to the description given.  However I am aware of several runners who had cardiac issues caught when they went in for checkups after experiencing some chest tightness or weakness issues during the warmup phase, even if they went away after they got going.

There was someone here on RA who had a friend die while on a run with them 2-3 years back after describing such a thing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills