When did you run after pregnancy? (Read 846 times)

I'm due in December and just starting the waddling around phase of my pregnancy. I just can't walk like I did before and leaning over impossible with this 20 pound bump infront of me. Everything is going well so far. I'm 39 this month and was concerned that I'm on the older end for the spectrum for to be pregnant plus it's my first baby, but it has been a very straightforward uneventful five months, my weight gain has been moderate and all the tests have been normal. I ran during the first ten weeks, getting in my longest run at 8 miles in April in preparation for an early fall half marathon, but feeling tried and off went to the doctor and found out why I was feeling off (thus it's been an uneventful five months - I can't count the ten weeks I didn't know I was pregnant.) I did think I would run gently through the pregnancy but I just kept to walking and swimming - I did a couple of short runs but they just weren't enjoyable (mainly due to the tender chest area to be honest) and I had to rest for hours afterwards. So, I'm way ahead of myself, but I was wondering: When did you run again after pregnancy (or if a man when would you recommend it)? Can you run and breastfeed?

Giants Fan

Not sure about the breastfeeding part (never did that end of it) but I had a C-section so I could do nothing for 8 weeks after...Then I did try to do something, walk/run til I got back into the groove but take it easy on yourself too...sleep deprivation makes everything harder. If I had to choose at that time between a nap and the treadmill? I took nap everytime!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Best Present Ever

there's no reason not to run and breastfeed. You'll hear all kinds of foolishness, but there's no science behind it. Some folks say babes don't like the taste of breastmilk after running (or after eating anyone of a long list of foods). I didn't find that was true & don't know anyone who did, but it makes sense to breastfeed before running anyway. I was told by my OB to wait 10 days post c-section before running ... I waited a bit longer, but was out within 3 weeks or so. It really just depends on how you feel. As long as any incisions are healed (and you may not have any), and you don't have some other problem, of course. I didn't end up running much when my kids were little, but not for any physical reasons. Congrats! glad you feel good. Have you seen the blog on the runners world site? If you haven't, you'd probably enjoy readining it ...http://babysteps.runnersworld.com/
          first off, congrats! second... I've only had 4 kids. I've tried to run as early as 2 weeks post partum but, ahem, that didn't work. However, 2 weeks is good for starting back swimming. Your Dr. may recommend you wait the 6wks after and that's a very good amount of time to recover from childbirth and establish a good breastfeeding relationship. I breastfed for almost 11 years combined...was nursing a little when I did biathlons, half marathons and 2 marathons. I never used a bottle or had to supplement with formula. Just make sure to nurse on demand and stay hydrated. Sleeping with your baby and having him close to you will help. Buy a jogger. For more help with breastfeeding, I recommend you seek advice and support from your local La Leche League group. It's a sad commentary that, in my experience, many breastfeeding relationships end with bad advice from hospital staff and Dr.s who aren't interested in advocating that aspect of mothering.

Jennifer mm#1231

Best Present Ever

I breastfed for almost 11 years combined...was nursing a little when I did biathlons, half marathons and 2 marathons. For more help with breastfeeding, I recommend you seek advice and support from your local La Leche League group. It's a sad commentary that, in my experience, many breastfeeding relationships end with bad advice from hospital staff and Dr.s who aren't interested in advocating that aspect of mothering.
            Hey, there aren't too many of us with that much breastfeeding history! I breastfed for 7 straight years (my two youngest each nursed until they were nearly 4, and are 3 years apart), plus my oldest nursed for almost 3 years many years ago, now. I second the advice to seek advice from someone who is interested in and knowledgeable about breastfeeding. There are lots of folks who mean well, but give poor advice, and a few who don't even mean well ...

A Saucy Wench

absolutely you can run and breastfeed! I'm still nursing my son and I just completed my 2nd marathon since he was born. (For the first 6 months I timed my runs to nurse him and then scoot out the door. The second 6 months I tried to time it so I would be back before he woke up, but there was a pumped bottle if he needed it - now he gets normal breakfast if I am not there in the morning) And pretty much I have been either nursing or pregnant for 5 1/2 years and they have all been my best running years I ran all through my pregnancy so I just played it by ear afterwards. I went for my first walk the next day. 0.1 miles to the mailbox and 0.1 miles back. Some doctors will say 6 weeks or dont run until we see you and clear you. Roll eyes My doc doesnt do follow up until 8 weeks and I was not waiting that long. About 5-6 days after ds was born I started purposefully walking. I would walk out for 14 minutes and then try to get home in 13 and then the next day try to get farther in the same amount of time. MTA: dont stress if you are super slow, I checked --my first logged walk was 1.13 miles and took 27:31 About 10 days pp on a strenuous walk I came home and bleeding increased and got clotty. I took that as a sign that I overdid it, took 2 days off and started again. I started working in 1 minute run intervals about 16 days pp and was back to continuous running a couple days after that. Slow though. Very slow. I would do zero speedwork for at least 8 weeks, the body needs to rest, not be stressed. The questions you have to ask yourself is "is this making me feel better or worse?" "more energized or more tired?" stop if you have increased cramping or bleeding. I would wait longer after a C because of internal healing and cutting through support muscles. It can help to wear spandexy type running shorts after pregnancy because your abs dont do anything for you for quite awhile and you should NOT do abwork. Low back pain was a bigger problem when I returned to running than it was during pregnancy.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Misinformation Officer

I pumped for 8 months straight (every 4 hours around the clock) b/c my son was a preemie and didn't have the sucking reflex and had severe reflux. I ran the whole time. I found the La Leche people to be VERY helpful--and got me great info on long-term pumping, since that is not very typical. He had NO complaints about the quality of post-run milk versus pre-run milk--he liked it all! The spicier the food I ate, the more he liked it.
                  Hey, there aren't too many of us with that much breastfeeding history! I breastfed for 7 straight years (my two youngest each nursed until they were nearly 4, and are 3 years apart), plus my oldest nursed for almost 3 years many years ago, now.
                  Smile aw yes. I like to tell women they will survive the years of breastfeeding babies to 4yo+ and throw in a couple rounds of tandem nursing 2 at a time. Not too many of us weirdos out there Tongue . I actually miss those years. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

A Saucy Wench

Smile aw yes. I like to tell women they will survive the years of breastfeeding babies to 4yo+ and throw in a couple rounds of tandem nursing 2 at a time. Not too many of us weirdos out there Tongue . I actually miss those years. Blush
                    You guys should move here...or rather should have been here when you were nursing. We are such a nursing state, especially where I live. One of my friends was tandem nursing her 3 year old son and twin girls. It is always weird to me to be someplace else where nursing is not taken as a given.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You guys should move here...or rather should have been here when you were nursing. We are such a nursing state, especially where I live. One of my friends was tandem nursing her 3 year old son and twin girls. It is always weird to me to be someplace else where nursing is not taken as a given.
                      yeah. all of my friends here were all homebirthing breastfeeding granola moms. good times. Cool

Jennifer mm#1231

I was actually saying that based on my online years of hearing one horror story after another thinking, WTF?

Jennifer mm#1231

My mum probably wouldn't talk to be if I didn't breastfeed. Anything short of losing both of my breasts would not cut it. Her entire career was midwifery and health visiting which consisted of visiting people who needed extra help or monitoring with their health - babies, the disabled and elderly - and she was a huge advocate of breastfeeding. She even got awards for having the highest number of sucessful breastfeeders in her practice. She breastfed the 5 of us, and all my sister's and sister-in-law all breastfed. I agree on the support aspect - my friend breastfed for less than a week - she had no help from family or medical world. However, she never ran, and my one sister who runs didn't while breast feeding so wasn't able to give much advice. I so really appreciate the answers. What about bras? The nursing one don't seem to be very supportive. I'm a C cup (this is pre-pregnancy of course - don;t know where I'll be in three months.)
                            that's so good to hear about your mom! Sounds like you'll have plenty of support! heh. You're about as big as I ever got...fully engorged. Tongue You might wait until after to figure out how things will go. There's really no telling at this point in time. You might have a coupla different sizes on hand JIC. (keep tags and receipts).

Jennifer mm#1231

A Saucy Wench

oh, no, dont run in a nursing bra. Wear a running bra. OK the lowdown on nursing bras for the larger breasted woman...and really any woman. Get a "sports bra" style bra for the hospital. Medela and Bravado both make one. These come in sizes like S M L XL. They are much more flexible for those first few weeks when your size can change radically. No joke I went from a DD to a J in like 3 days. I couldnt wear my previously purchased bras home. In about 2 weeks things will settle and then go get fitted for a more supportive cup style (no underwire) and that ought to take you to about 6 months where things may settle out again.

Best Present Ever

What about bras? The nursing one don't seem to be very supportive. I'm a C cup (this is pre-pregnancy of course - don;t know where I'll be in three months.)
                                I almost threw in bra advice in my first post, then deleted it because you hadn't asked for it, and pregnant women get too much unsolicitated advice ime! Yes, i agree with Ennay -- running bras, not nursing bras. the less bounce, the better. In fact, I didn't use nursing bras at all after the first weeks with the first kid as I never found that they were much more convenient or comfortable than a regular bra. And things do change a lot. I found that my rib cage was huge at the end of pregnancy, but came back to it's prepregnancy size (more or less) quickly, where the breasts themselves, well, the body is an amazing thing ... Big grin (I like your mom!)